Vape sensitivity puzzle...PG? Something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Hi all,
Maybe you can help me figure this out:

I have been vaping for three months, no cigs, no major problems.
My wife still smokes, but has shown some interest in vaping at least part time. So I set her up with a Pico topped with a Nautilus X, filled with unflavored base at a 1.8% nic level, 70VG. Locked the pico at 14 watts.

She has tried it a couple of times, and each time experiences nausea. I vaped the on that rig with the same juice and settings for a week before I passed it along. No problems for me.

My first guess was PG sensitivity. Nausea is listed as a symptom in some places, but it seems like it more commonly affects the respiratory tract.

My second guess is nic level. She actually smokes more than I used to so I thought 1.8 would be fine... though she smokes filtered and I was smoking rollies.

My two long shots are composition of VG, and reaction to kanthal coil. I haven't even researched those possibilities cos they seem fairly unlikely.

I suppose a good test would be to have her try VG with no nic? (My nicotine is suspended in 50/50, really don't want VG nic unless it's beneficial to her)

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Opinionated

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Seems like you only have 3 components, VG, PG, and nic. Can't really be nic sensitivity since she's a smoker. Could be the quantity of nic. I think plain VG would be a good first step. If that gives her nausea you will know. If not then try PG. If there's still no nausea it would have to be the nic, so try it with lower nic level.

Good luck

Reactions: Enso

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
If she is pulling too hard she might be swallowing some juice mixed in with the vapor or swallowing some of the vapor instead of inhaling. That would upset any stomach. Usually its a headache that starts from a nic overdose but nausea is another symptom.
I don't think it's that, you'd have to be a freak to pull juice through the utech coil, haha

Reactions: Opinionated

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
If I could only Pick One that I thought was the Most Likely candidate, I would pick Too High of a Nicotine Level.

You have DIY Supplies, Right?

I would Mix a Batch of Unflavored at around 9mg/ml in the Same PG to VG Ratio.

That sounds like a good step. For now I have a batch of 91% VG same level for her to try at her leisure. I'll mix a half strength batch next weekend in case the 91 doesn't have an good effect. And if that doesn't work, pure VG I guess.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That sounds like a good step. For now I have a batch of 91% VG same level for her to try at her leisure. I'll mix a half strength batch next weekend in case the 91 doesn't have an good effect. And if that doesn't work, pure VG I guess.

That's the Extremely Cool thing about being able to do DIY. You can Mix up any type of mg/ml or PG to VG Ratio you like.

And costs next to Nothing. Just a Little bit of Time.

And maybe some Blue Painters Tape on the Bottles while you are in the Test Batch mode.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
That's the Extremely Cool thing about being able to do DIY. You can Mix up any type of mg/ml or PG to VG Ratio you like.

And costs next to Nothing. Just a Little bit of Time.

And maybe some Blue Painters Tape on the Bottles while you are in the Test Batch mode.
Really like cost reduction and control of DIY.

Blue painters tape, Haha, nailed it!!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Really like cost reduction and control of DIY.

Blue painters tape, Haha, nailed it!!

Yeah... Once you get everything Squared Away you can make a Fancy P-Touch Label for you bottles. But while you still in the Testing Phase, painter tape (the Green with a Fine Tip Sharpie Marker is actually easier to read) is the way to go.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Enso - You said you liked the idea @zoiDman gave you here:

If I could only Pick One that I thought was the Most Likely candidate, I would pick Too High of a Nicotine Level.

You have DIY Supplies, Right?

I would Mix a Batch of Unflavored at around 9mg/ml in the Same PG to VG Ratio.

But then went on to say, "For now I have a batch of 91% VG same level for her to try at her leisure. I'll mix a half strength batch next weekend in case the 91 doesn't have an good effect. And if that doesn't work, pure VG I guess."

If cutting the nic down to 9mg and keeping the same PG to VG ratio sounds like a good step...why leave her at the higher nic level for another week, but change the VG to 91%?

I've also never heard of anything in eliquid, but too high of nic, causing nausea either. If I were her, I sure wouldn't want to keep trying the same strength and possibly getting nauseous for another week. In the longrun it may even curb her desire to even try vaping any longer. I know it would discourage me, since feeling "barfy" isn't any fun.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
I totally understand your point, and considered that also. It's a timing thing. I only have time to mix about once a week (we have kids). I already had the 91, it's just a stop gap. She only attempts vaping in very specific circumstances, so she might not even get to the 91 before I have a chance to make a weaker batch.

@Enso - You said you liked the idea @zoiDman gave you here:

But then went on to say, "For now I have a batch of 91% VG same level for her to try at her leisure. I'll mix a half strength batch next weekend in case the 91 doesn't have an good effect. And if that doesn't work, pure VG I guess."

If cutting the nic down to 9mg and keeping the same PG to VG ratio sounds like a good step...why leave her at the higher nic level for another week, but change the VG to 91%?

I've also never heard of anything in eliquid, but too high of nic, causing nausea either. If I were her, I sure wouldn't want to keep trying the same strength and possibly getting nauseous for another week. In the longrun it may even curb her desire to even try vaping any longer. I know it would discourage me, since feeling "barfy" isn't any fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread