vape while charging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Even if they did, I wouldn't recommend it. They discharge and recharge the batteries at the same time. Batteries get warm while charging, and even warmer while discharging. Even if the mod could do it, I woldn't recommend it because it decreases the lifespan of your batteries. That is why I buy extra batteries, and swap them out when they get low. I have a battery case I keep with me/in the car for when my current batteries get low.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Some of them do, but I can't help you with which as I would never do it. Pass-thru vaping just isn't all that good an idea. It develops extra heat just when it is most not needed or desired. The right fix to this issue is move to removable battery mods and charge in an external charger. Add in a spare battery or 6 and it will never again be an issue.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It wears the battery heavily if you vape while charging. They make batteryless mods that only have a cable and the good bit is they’re really cheap. The bad bit is they’re incredibly poorly made. For some idiotic reason there isn’t a single one with a strain arrest or on the cable and this causes them to go bad very quickly

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would not vape via passthrough, even if I needed to (I make sure that I don't). Charging and discharging very rapidly and close together is going to strain your batteries. It could be as innocuous as shortened battery life, or as unfortunate as some type of charging malfunction in the mod, which may fry your charging cable, your batteries internals, and/or even a battery explosion. USB charges tend to heat batteries, and one is usually better off doing charging externally with a dedicated charger. If you get several sets of batteries, you can switch out batteries whenever, if y you carry a set with you (in a battery case, you definitely want to keep them protected and isolated from coming into contact with any metal, etc.

There are so many reasons to use an external charger. The only time I use USB is if it's an internal battery mod, or a radius, where it truly IS recommended to charge via passthrough. I never vape with a USB cord attached however. If you MUST do it, disconnect the charger, wait five minutes, vape, and reconnect the charger. It will take more time to charge that way, as batteries don't "store" a charge. I'd really recommend though, either taking batteries with you, or getting a small, backup mod you can use while you are charging the other one.

Best of luck!

Anna

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Are there some brands of mods/kits that allow vaping while connected to usb charger? Certainly doing a "normal" session is not recommendable at all but I think a good hardware should support ocassional puffs without exploiting. My toy is connected right know.. what if ? (voopo drag + cleito subohm)
You charge your phone and use it too. Nobody is warning you to avoid that. But then phones probably use less power than the rate of charge. But I'm not sure how phones manage to do both. Mods, even at low power probably exceed the charging rate. Pass through on the mods I use stop charging while the fire button is pressed.. Charging warms the battery and diischarging warms the battery. If the battery doesn't get too warm from those back to back uses there shouldn't be a problem. I vape a single battery mod with temp control set to 20 max watts and 380F max temp and have never noticed a temperature problem. I don't usually need to recharge during the day because of the low settings. If you run at noticably higher watts may be things will warm up more. There are billions of well regulated Li powered devices on the planet. They don't seem to cause much trouble.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I have done it muchly. Not over 15watts or completely dead. Even tho my mods are sub 50$, I'm still picky. Did it mostly all the time with Egos because they took so long to charge that even keeping 3 in rotation wasn't enuf sometimes.
    I'd probably only do it nowadays with a Dna or such better boards. if external battery. I trust most good brand lipos with a wired connection.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Are there some brands of mods/kits that allow vaping while connected to usb charger? Certainly doing a "normal" session is not recommendable at all but I think a good hardware should support ocassional puffs without exploiting. My toy is connected right know.. what if ? (voopo drag + cleito subohm)
    Might want to ask the manufacturer:
    re: GLOBAL PARTNERS – VOOPOO VAPE

• Useful

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
    Mexico
    I do not do it either. When I first started vaping with rechargeable equipment I rec'd the same advice and have stuck to it. I use 18650 batteries and do not even charge those inside my vape connected to computer. I use a separate battery charger.
    Yes I know, a battrycharge is a must... spare bats too. Haf to get'em asap. Meanwhile i depends on the wall-usb.. you know.. the cellphone-like thing.. or the pc port in urgent moments ..

Reactions: chellie

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2016
    Tempe, Arizona, United States
    Whether or not it’s safe or recommended, it’s a pain in the .... to vape while basically on a leash. Much easier to have a second (or third or fourth...) setup so that you always have something available while charging. ;) Not to mention that also gives you the ability to have a couple different flavors to choose from or to customize your device to your activity, big and cloudy, small and stealthy, etc.

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
    Mexico
    Whether or not it’s safe or recommended, it’s a pain in the .... to vape while basically on a leash. Much easier to have a second (or third or fourth...) setup so that you always have something available while charging. ;) Not to mention that also gives you the ability to have a couple different flavors to choose from or to customize your device to your activity, big and cloudy, small and stealthy, etc.
    different flavours in the same day ? not attractive to me. I have preferred to finish 1 resistence with juice "A" and have juice "B" with a new one. Not really interested spending more money in another mod or tank.. ;-)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    different flavours in the same day ? not attractive to me. I have preferred to finish 1 resistence with juice "A" and have juice "B" with a new one. Not really interested spending more money in another mod or tank.. ;-)
    what happens if your only mod/setup dies unexpectedly? I have at least 6 mods (all with different recipes in case I get bored of a flavor) ready to go at any moment, and another couple dozen mods and toppers in basement storage just in case.

edit to add: I also have 3 chargers and a few dozen spare batteries.

• Agree

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
    Mexico
    what happens if your only mod/setup dies unexpectedly? I have at least 6 mods (all with different recipes in case I get bored of a flavor) ready to go at any moment, and another couple dozen mods and toppers in basement storage just in case.

edit to add: I also have 3 chargers and a few dozen spare batteries.
    ok agree.. just another mod + tank will be enough. Charger and spare batts too of course...

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2016
    Tempe, Arizona, United States
    Even if you only vape one flavor for the rest of your vaping life I wouldn’t recommend not having at least one backup setup. And if I add up what I’ve spent on gear in the last year and a half and compare that to what I would have spent smoking there’s no comparison. Extra gear is a sound investment.

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
    Mexico
    allright I'm convinced. I will get another same mod.. probably a different subohm tank .. Melo 4 or Wotofo serpent sub look nice and both are available here. Resistences too. I would like Unwell but it is rare unless imported.. difficult endeavor in Mx where import/sale of e-cig equipment is just "tolerated". That's dumb law.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread