The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vape wick cotton

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by IceCubeSandwich, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:55 PM.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. IceCubeSandwich

IceCubeSandwich New Member

Thursday
    Hi Guys!
    NEW TO THE FORUM!

Is there any safe; good quality cotton that I can use for my vape wick that I can find around my house? For example l, my bed cover has a cotton like substabce in it but am skeptical of what other “stuff” it’s made of. I would go to the story and get some but I can’t right now for reasons that you guys are not aware of. THANKS!

2. Zaryk

Zaryk Super Member Verified Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I would not use anything to do with bedding for vaping. It typically is not 100% cotton and will likely have materials in it that could melt and/or be harmful when heated. Likely your bedding is polyfill and not cotton.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. djsvapour

djsvapour ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    If you can't get organic cotton, you can use cotton products like balls or pads. Trouble is, unless you have people living with you who buy this stuff you are unlikely to find any around the house. Of course, these products may be bleached or something and although we used them a long time ago, it's not ideal.

4. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    There's always the option of using rayon from tampons if you have any of those around the house.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Coyote628

Coyote628 Super Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Omg

6. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Most drug stores carry inexpensive unbleached cotton pads and balls. Both work fine. They usually also have organic unbleached pads and balls.

7. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi and welcome,

First aid kit: Cotton gauze will work in a pinch.
    If you have cotton ear buds/Q-tips you can try to unravel a few.

Cheers
    I

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

As said: An unrolled cotton ball or the end of a Q-tip will work in a pinch. You might find a cotton pad (may be labeled "cotton wool") in the first aid kit, or a gauze bandage pad rolled up will also do. If you have any bamboo kitchen skewers, I had decent luck with bamboo wicks in Old Skool Genny-type atomizers back in the day (also porous ceramic rods, but you won't have any of those laying around) but they're not real bendable so they'll only work with a vertical wick build.

I hate to steer you back to the tampons, but (IMHO, of course) rayon is actually a better wicking material than cotton, for all they're chemically identical. I use rayon wicks exclusively nowadays. If you or somebody in the house is a hairdresser, or has been to the school, you might find a piece of rayon "rope" in the kit. It's commonly used in hair dye jobs. That is, in fact, where I get mine: I bought a box from Sally's. It's supposed to be good for like 50 hair colorings or something, but all I know is there's enough in the box to wick all my attys for several hundred years after I am dead and gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lupinehorror

lupinehorror numpty wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 11, 2017
    alba
    muji pads ($5 on amazon for 180) or rayon from sally's is what i go with. there are various vape specific cottons but i think that they are rather overpriced.
    edit-
    i realise that the above doesn't remotely answer your question. apologies.
    tampons it is then. if you have any.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    This ^^^

I've vaped both when stuck for wicking and they worked fine for me.

Cotton gauze packaged for first aid use generally has some hydrogen peroixide on it. It's not much and the taste goes away pretty quick, but wanted to mention it. I did some research on it and I don't think there is a health issue with vaping it, but I wouldn't do it for years.

Q-tip cotton vapes great with no noticeable chemical flavor. Split one side of the Q-tip cotton lengthwise with a sharp knife (razor blade or X-acto are good options but I suspect clean and really sharp steak knives, small scissors or box cutters will do just fine too) and peel it off. Fluff it a bit, form your wick and install it.

Ya, I wouldn't vape anything I was that unsure of. The consequences could be really nasty.

Good luck with it IceCubeSandwich.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I just Blew Coffee thru my Nose and onto my Keyboard.

Thanks Eskie.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    What? It actually works.

I did feel the same as you when I first heard about it. Those were the days before the Sally's breakthrough. Around the time of ankle high cotton socks for wicking.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    You can Call me a Wimp. Or a Limp Wristed Weakling. But there are Three Things that I just Never Do.

1) Make Spaghetti Sauce from Bulging Cans of Tomato Sauce.

2) Clean My Ears with a Toothpick while Driving Over Railroad Tracks.

3) Pull Cotton out of Tampons and then Stick it into my RDA's/RTA's.

:blink:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BrotherBob

BrotherBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    Go to any Beauty Salon,tell them your broke Millennial and ask for a foot of Graham CelluCotton Coil/rayon beauty coil, could offer to take out the trash. Might add a few tears and someone might front you some e-juice money:cry:. Good luck.
    re:
    Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!
    Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. r055co

r055co Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Coyote628

Coyote628 Super Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Its possible the op was troll. Notice he never came back with any comnents. Yeah, there could be reason for delay in commenting, but if it was important enough, i would probably come back soon enough to read any suggestions. And theres always the chance he vaped his bedding and is now in the hospital...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. r055co

r055co Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Coyote628

Coyote628 Super Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Yeah, i kinda snorted too, vapor though, not coffee.

• Funny Funny x 2