Vapers, Please help me! Allergic to PG!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EleniL1985

Aug 19, 2019
London
Hi all,

Thank you for reading my post. I have been vaping since July. (smoke free for 1m and 1w!! ;-) Was a 20 a day smoker for 20 years!) I was using the Aspire Pocket X to begin with, had no real issues with it. I just wanted something with more of a throat hit that felt more like a cigarette, i switched to a POD System. The Vype 3 epen.

Since using this I have noticed my eyes are sore and itchy, my neck and ..... are also very irritated and itchy. Also my gums are very sore. Through some research it looks like I'm allergic to PG. In the pods they use a 50/50 VG/PG where as in the e liquids I was using the Aspire is was a much lower PG.

I'm absolutely gutted as i was loving the Vype pod system. Is there anything I can use that is similar to that or more like a cigarette (with much less PG) that is not going to make me itchy and sore?!

Thanks in advance!

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Do you think I need to go PG free? Would I not get a throat hit? Sorry if I'm being dumb I'm so new to this vaping life
You have to do a systematic process of elimination.
It started when you moved to a pod, before that you were fine.
If you had an intolerance to pg you wouldnt have been able to vape any pg using the pocketX.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
There are a couple ways to increase hepatitis hit besides PG. there are a few flavors that have higher throat hit for one. Also unprotonated nic has higher throat hit than protonated nic generally.
Quoted beause this kind of typo needs to be recorded.

• Winner
Reactions: HigherStateD

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I would suggest that you try a process of elimination before assuming it's the pg that's the problem. Try vaping just vg, then just pg. If no issues add nic, if no issues add some flavor. Just as likely to be a particular flavor concentrate honestly. Could also have something to do with the device itself, maybe wire type in the coil.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I agree with above poster. Try another mod and ejuice. If it does not happen with another set up then it was the juice/flavoring. If it does turn out to be the pg then there is Peg400 as a sub but you will probably have to make the juice yourself or stay with max vg which not everyone can handle that mix either.
Trying to find what the cause is can be time consuming but worth the effort.
:)

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
My wife has a skin allergy to PG and so far so good with a Charlies Chalk Dust 80/20 in a VapeAnts E8. A 50/50 juice caused her all kinds of issues.

Perhaps try a light version of direct lung inhale where it would be spending less time in your mouth as well. Not some big 8 second draw but just about as long of a drag as your usual but vacuum straight in.

Best regards.

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Hi all,

Thank you for reading my post. I have been vaping since July. (smoke free for 1m and 1w!! ;-) Was a 20 a day smoker for 20 years!) I was using the Aspire Pocket X to begin with, had no real issues with it. I just wanted something with more of a throat hit that felt more like a cigarette, i switched to a POD System. The Vype 3 epen.

Since using this I have noticed my eyes are sore and itchy, my neck and ..... are also very irritated and itchy. Also my gums are very sore. Through some research it looks like I'm allergic to PG. In the pods they use a 50/50 VG/PG where as in the e liquids I was using the Aspire is was a much lower PG.

I'm absolutely gutted as i was loving the Vype pod system. Is there anything I can use that is similar to that or more like a cigarette (with much less PG) that is not going to make me itchy and sore?!

Thanks in advance!
I'm allergic also, so I have to use 70vg/30pg, & it seems to work wonderfully so far !
But i do have some 60vg/40pg but i like the 70/30 best.
All I vape at is 14W, but some days I might vape at 20W but that's pushing it, I like the slow & easy draws its seems to make my juice last & coils, also in my pod devices samething,
I & don't like the Inc salts & never will its to much on the ole throat (or mine anyway) & jus don't like it !
I'm good-to-go-w/my tobacco+menthol+6mg.nic, e-liq.
I jus recently went to 6mg. Started at 18mg. But that was 2yrs. Ago !

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Best test for allergy to a liquid is to give yourself a tiny pin pr1ck (dang auto editor) (sanitized w/iso alcohol of course) on the tender skin on the inside of your forearm. Apply a small smudge of the liquid to the pin hole. If intense itching, welt or pain ensues... you're allergic.

• Agree
Reactions: DaveP

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Do you think I need to go PG free? Would I not get a throat hit? Sorry if I'm being dumb I'm so new to this vaping life
Nicotine concentration is what primarily determines the "throat hit". Pg only contributes in a secondary role.

There is also a difference between a Pg allergy (more severe) and Pg sensitivity (less severe).

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Best test for allergy to a liquid is to give yourself a tiny pin pr1ck (dang auto editor) (sanitized w/iso alcohol of course) on the tender skin on the inside of your forearm. Apply a small smudge of the liquid to the pin hole. If intense itching, welt or pain ensues... you're allergic.
I really didn't have to do that to know, i knew what allergies i had before i vaped, was jus' allergic to outside grass & mowing, & some flowers not all 'em jus' some of 'em.
The 50vg/50pg, Ohhh my gosh I could write a book of the symptoms I was getting, I was ... A Hives Galore Lady, especially my face & neck, cause I'm sensitive to alot of food, so i know what to avoid in food & i don't eat nuts(the real eaten nuts)
So I knew it was the vg/pg, not so much the vg but higher on both the better !
If i may ask someone there're so many online vape shops, which I had no-clue there was so-many, I'm trying to see if they do make an 80vg/20pg,
If anyone knows this one I'd appreciate it !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread