Status
Not open for further replies.

chesty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I read a little about vaper's tongue, and hoped I wouldn't get it, but I got it. :(

I'm switching between three flavours, one is a menthol that blew my head off the first time i tried it, now, pretty much nothing, maybe a vegetable oil taste and a cool sensation. tribeca and cafe mocha are the other two.
I'm not even tempted to go back to analogues, it's still satisfying the cravings, especially after a coffee, or a few hours at the club with company, where I don't vape. But I did enjoy the flavours, and that part is frustratingly missing.

something's missing, in my life, maybe it's you? maybe it's you and me? (I'm singing to my once beloved tribeca)

So, from memory I'm looking at a week with no taste? and it'll return by itself?
assuming my taste comes back, will vaper's tongue happen again? or is it like chicken pox, you only get it once?

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
I was climbing the walls when I got it!

In the meantime, drink plenty of water. You also want excellent oral hygiene. Another thing to try is sucking on a boiled sweet (the Americans are calling them hard candy - I don't know what you call 'em!) when you're vaping as at least you'll have some flavour while you're doing it.

Don't worry, it'll pass quickly!x

chesty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Sydney, Australia
hey aphex, I'm running low on juice, I've got 3 orders in the mail (I haven't even been vaping for 2 weeks yet) au banned juice with nicotine, so we have to order everything from OS, and it takes a few weeks :(
I have 3 tanks, with three different flavours, I've ran out of the malibu from the sample bottle (the menthol I was talking about), there's just 1.5ml left in the tank.
so when i use that up, I'll be changing flavours.

hey rachy rach, boiled lollies I believe we call them, I can't help not chewing them, but it sounds good. I'll give it a go.
mmm, I might try strawberry extra.
it's almost your birthday, just 44 more days. congrats.

chesty

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Sydney, Australia
good news that you haven't had it since sb. I hope that's the case for me.
I just got back from a 24/7 servo station (gas/petrol/etc) (it's midnight here, they are the only places open), no boiled lollies, but I got some fishermen friends, eucalyptis lollies, and different flavoured sugar free chewy and mints.
and I brushed my teeth and tongue again.
no miracles, but I'll wait it out.

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
I was climbing the walls when I got it!

In the meantime, drink plenty of water. You also want excellent oral hygiene. Another thing to try is sucking on a boiled sweet (the Americans are calling them hard candy - I don't know what you call 'em!) when you're vaping as at least you'll have some flavour while you're doing it.

Don't worry, it'll pass quickly!x

Wow thanks now I will be thinking which is easiest to say.
Boiled sweets or hard candy.
While boiled sweets has elleven letters and hard candy has only eight letters, I'm thinking boiled
sweets might be faster to say cause sweets has only one syllable where as candy has two.
Yeah I know sooooo ocd.

But not to hijack the thread, I have gone through that as well, mine passed in a couple
of days one of those time where everything I had just didnt work.
I just went and tried to find a diff juice. Yeah water too, it will pass

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Ya it sucks, BIG time. I got it twice. Once within the first week of vaping for 9 days. The second time was in the third week or so and lasted three days. Only thing that helped it for me was time. I tried all the "remedies" on this forum and nothing but time worked.

I do switch up flavors a lot (5-6/day) and also have a nonflavored (Halo Fusion) in my rotation just to give the taste buds a break. I actually like Fusion...it's pretty good for a nonflavored.

Not sure if you guys have where you are anything called Biotene mouthwash or gel but that helps. And people swear by jalapeño peppers which I didn't try but now have a bottle just in case. I do drink a ton of water when I vape so although I didn't get vapors tongue because of dehydration, it's always good to drink a ton.

Good luck and just be patient. :vapor:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Mine lasted about two weeks. That happened about two months after switching to vaping 100%. I haven't had it since and I've now been vaping exclusively a year. If I don't hydrate well enough, I do get a bit of flavor loss. At those times I hydrate and do the Biotene mouthwash more.

It can be frustrating, but remember our taste buds are trying to get flavor from something that is very intangible. Moist wet air. I'm just amazed that those buds can even comprehend that there is flavor in steam! ;)

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
Nottingham
thanks for the comments y'all (am I doing the texas accent right?)
this veg oil flavour is a bummer, but damn these lollies are nice.
mmm, I had a thought, since mouthwash can help, whiskey should also help.
that my excuse, anyway, hic.

To be fair, I've heard people have had good results with a nice, peaty whisky! I drink Lagavulin regularly - can't say if it's helping with the tongue condition, but it's certainly helping in general :)

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Even though they call it "vaper's tongue" it's really "vaper's nose", since most of the flavor actually comes from the aroma.

For me chinese mustard, and deep nose breathing while in the shower both help, but don't totally eliminate the issue. I bet wasabi would work well too!

(Not to be an idiot, do they have chinese mustard down under? A spicy horseradish if I'm not mistaken, that burns like hell but goes away quickly)

iz2sick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Burbs of Detroit
Vaper's tongue is a bit of a misnomer. Our tastebuds are responsible for sensations of sweet, bitter, salty, sour, and umami. But it is our olfactory system that gives us the distinction between what types of taste sensations we are receiving. This is why, when you have a cold, you can't taste your food very well except for knowing generally what is sweet and what isn't. It's also why some people will disagree on what they are tasting even though they are both sampling the same item.

So with that in mind, the main thing to do is keep your sense of smell clean. A good way to do this is smell some coffee grinds. This is a common tactic used by perfume testers. You might have also seen little cans of coffee beans/grinds lying around perfume stores. You want to neutralize your sense of smell and coffee usually works.

It could also be that you've vaped the same flavors repeatedly. This desensitizes your brain to the smell. People who work in restaurants know this well. It's also why we find our own farts less offensive than a stranger's :p

iz2sick

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Burbs of Detroit
thanks for the comments y'all (am I doing the texas accent right?)
this veg oil flavour is a bummer, but damn these lollies are nice.
mmm, I had a thought, since mouthwash can help, whiskey should also help.
that my excuse, anyway, hic.

Mouthwash and whiskey helps because it bombards your olfactory senses. But make sure you give it some time afterwards to let your senses come back to a neutral state. Ever eat anything right after mouthwashing or brushing your teeth? Same idea here.

sbmqcy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Quincy, IL, USA
Mouthwash and whiskey helps because it bombards your olfactory senses. But make sure you give it some time afterwards to let your senses come back to a neutral state. Ever eat anything right after mouthwashing or brushing your teeth? Same idea here.

To be fair, I've heard people have had good results with a nice, peaty whisky! I drink Lagavulin regularly - can't say if it's helping with the tongue condition, but it's certainly helping in general :)

Shhh! This is my excuse to buy a bottle of Lagavullin. My wife doesn't need to know that mouthwash might work too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread