Vapesnail recommended build

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamL2

Oct 25, 2020
Hi there,

I'm new on this forum, but have been vaping for almost 10 years now. Thanks for having me!

I picked up a Vapesnail (authentic) for my SXK 60W BB and I can't seem to get it built right. I always get muted flavour from it. I've used both SS316L fused clapton and round wires. I've experimented with less and less cotton. I've tried to change the airflow too. Nothing I do seems to achieve the results I get from my dotShell.

Some builds I've done:
SS316L MTL fused clapton (from Coilogy) at 2.5mm ID 4.5 wraps (0.50 ohms)
SS316L MTL fused clapton at 3.0mm ID 4.5 wraps (0.60 ohms)
SS316L round wire 26ga (from Kidney Puncher) at 3.0mm ID 4.5 spaced wraps (0.47 ohms)

I've tried vaping at around 20W to 30W. I get dry hits at 30W pretty easily usually, so I use TC when I want to amp the wattage.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Those of you who have good builds in your Vapesnail, what does your build look like?

Thanks

(If it matters, I used Shiseido cotton using the Scottish roll technique, and also some Firebolt cotton)

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@iamL2, wouldn't know for certain. But it deffinitely sounds like you're suffering issues with the wicking.

I'd throw caution to the wind and try Rayon, as it shrinks when wet unlike cotton that expands.

But you've definitely got an issue in the tails, possibly even through the coil as well.

But I do hope that you get to the bottom of this issue and bend the Vapesnail to your will.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Hi @iamL2

I use 3mm ID 5 wrap 2*28/36 Ni80 fused claptons in my Vapesnail. Resistance of around 0.5 Ohms. Closer to 0.4 Ohms if you go with 2.5 mm ID.

The main wicking tip is to cut your wicks in a bow tie shape around the edge of the deck. Don't cut them long and fold the ends down into the well - that'll give you dry hits. Cut them so you can just place them down into the corners of the well. If you've ever used a Vapeshell the wicking technique is similar even though the wicking ports are in different positions.

Cotton works for me (have tried rayon too). Mainly Kendo Gold or Team Vape Lab but whatever.

Dry hits are your worst enemy with a Snail - more than leaking - so I prefer to wick on the looser side

I looked but couldn't find any photos of my preferred build. Vaping mine now so don't want to dismantle but if you keep having troubles pm me and I'll take some photos when I next re-wick.
Good luck

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'm new on this forum,
Welcome and glad you joined.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong

Might want to try the search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Google and You Tube can be also great informational sources. Could type in "Vapesnail"

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
Ok @iamL2 here are some photos. I'm not saying they'll work for you but this is the usual 2.5mm ID fused clapton build and wick that I vape every day. Same specs as my first reply.
Snail no wick.jpg

Snail dry wick.jpg

Snail wet wick.jpg

This build is 0.37 Ohms and I vape at about 34W. No dry hits. no leaking. Of course there's the usual condensation build up that needs attention every day or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread