Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'll try altering the PG:VG ratio.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might go to the apothecary and obtain a bottle of VG and vape only that for the day or two (Ideally,obtain a bottle of VG only/PG Free e liquid with the correct nic) and see how your skin response. As mentioned, you may be prone to a PG allergy.
"There are many different ones reported, but ordinarily they range from sore throats, sinus problems, nausea and headaches to more severe symptoms like hives and swelling, redness and numbness of the face. Additionally, small bumps (fluid-filled or not) may form on the skin around the mouth if you’re allergic to PG."
re: Allergies, Conditions and E-Liquid - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Also, I've been vaping for around a year and have only recently made the connection between ecigs and my increased acne.
After a couple of years of vaping with no problems, I suddenly realized that PG was stating to give me a sore throat.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
While it may or may not be related to PG. Better to see a dermatologist.

When I quit smoking after 50 years of doing so, I had an outbreak of Acne. I don't know if it was related to vaping or if connected to stopping smoking or just happened. A visit to a dermatologist ended up with an antibiotic cream to apply for a month. This got rid of the acne or it went away on its own. Has not returned.

Last edited:

Fran7777

Jul 11, 2019
Hi, no you're not looking at the wrong thing - it is banned in the UK due to studies in Sweden linking it to oral cancer (according to the metro anyway!)

What is snus, what are the effects and where can you buy it? | Metro News

Welcome by the way. I had really bad acne as a teen, so I know how rubbish it is. For what it's worth I found that drinking tons of water (like all day) always helped with my skin and still does

Thank you for confirming that it's banned, I thought I might be researching the wrong thing. Yeah it really does suck, I've had acne since the age of about 12, it went away when I was about 18 but has come back the past year I've been vaping. Honestly, it may be a mix of some sort of allergy and dehydration from vaping as you've mentioned here. Thanks so much for the advice!

Fran7777

Jul 11, 2019
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might go to the apothecary and obtain a bottle of VG and vape only that for the day or two (Ideally,obtain a bottle of VG only/PG Free e liquid with the correct nic) and see how your skin response. As mentioned, you may be prone to a PG allergy.
"There are many different ones reported, but ordinarily they range from sore throats, sinus problems, nausea and headaches to more severe symptoms like hives and swelling, redness and numbness of the face. Additionally, small bumps (fluid-filled or not) may form on the skin around the mouth if you’re allergic to PG."
re: Allergies, Conditions and E-Liquid - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety

After a couple of years of vaping with no problems, I suddenly realized that PG was stating to give me a sore throat.

Thank you, I was thinking it is probably an allergy. However, mine are not small bumps and tend to be more around my jaw and cheeks so I thought it might be something else. However, if I do go back to vaping I'll definitely try 100% VG as there has been loads of people suggesting that it may be the PG. I know I was vaping a 50:50 PG/VG ration before. Thanks!

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
The thing about PG is that it is an antibiotic, and hygroscopic. It will both strip moisture, and kill bacteria. It's commonly used in non-alcoholic mouthwash for these reasons.

The thing about the body, Especially the digestive system, is it relies on moisture and bacteria. Altering the balance of these factors in your mouth can lead to a build up of not so friendly bacteria.

Make sure you flush your mouth after every vape, and consider a probiotic regimine.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Probiotics can be very useful I can't handle much PG at all.

Sorry about the snus thing did not know you were in the UK.

How lovely to know I might get oral cancer but the Swedes seem pretty fervent about its okayness, honestly. I sort of trust the Swedes more than the Brits when it comes to sheer competence in most areas. I think I will be okay.

Sorry you cannot get it.

Anna

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
I'm glad (but also sorry) that someone else has noticed a connection between the two. Honestly, I feel as though it may be more internal & it would therefore blowing it away more wouldn't help. However, if you want to give it a go, please update me as to how you get on. Thanks!
Yes, I'm trying to make it a habit. Obviously, in enclosed spaces (home, car), it won't make as much of a difference as outdoors, even though I usually try to have good airflow going.
FYI:
1) I only vape juices with 70% VG or higher
2) I don't inhale the vapour, I vape 'cigar-style' (I keep the vapour in my mouth for a short while).

Haktuspit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I'm 39, and have been suffering cystic acne for 8 years or so now. Lyme disease and the cure for it can do some nasty things. If you get better with in a day or so of not vaping, the answer seems obvious.

If you must continue, then isolating the cause is a must. Could be one or more of the metals used in your coil, but more than likely, its the PG. Reducing or eliminating the source to a point it doesn't cause symptoms, or living with them, are the only options.

First time I've seen someone other than me talk about Lyme disease on here. I've had it for around 13 years, 5 rounds of antibiotics. I could give you a page worth of symptoms it's caused but I've actually never noticed increase acne from it. Sorry to hear you have it as well.

Hi, no you're not looking at the wrong thing - it is banned in the UK due to studies in Sweden linking it to oral cancer (according to the metro anyway!)

What is snus, what are the effects and where can you buy it? | Metro News

Welcome by the way. I had really bad acne as a teen, so I know how rubbish it is. For what it's worth I found that drinking tons of water (like all day) always helped with my skin and still does

There's a lot of evidence that snus/dip is much less likely to give you oral cancer than smoking cigarettes. Check out CASAA's article below.

FAQ: Health Effects (tobaccoharmreduction.org)

Fran7777

Jul 11, 2019
    Hey there.Give me some info about ur vape
    Single coil/dual coil?
    Coil type
    Wattage u vaping on
    Eliquid DIY or from shop?
    MOST important question is Nic mg in ur eliquid.

Innokin Endura T20 & the T20 coils. I got my eliquid from a shop & was using 6-12mg depending on which one was in stock. I'd go for the 6mg over the 12mg if they had them both available.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
    There's a lot of evidence that snus/dip is much less likely to give you oral cancer than smoking cigarettes. Check out CASAA's article below.

Hey, I'm sure that's true - I don't really know anything about Snus, and I'm sure it is less harmful than smoking since most things are - I was just saying that's the reason given for it being unavailable in the UK which is what the original question was.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    First time I've seen someone other than me talk about Lyme disease on here. I've had it for around 13 years, 5 rounds of antibiotics. I could give you a page worth of symptoms it's caused but I've actually never noticed increase acne from it. Sorry to hear you have it as well.

It wasn't so much the Lyme causing the acne issue, it was the antibiotic.
    Oddly enough, and relavent to the topic, the first time I switched to vaping, I developed a similar out break. I only Vapes for about 4 months then, so I can't speak to what could/would have happened, but that's the main reason I switched back. This time, it couldn't have made it any worse, and seems to be helping. What I have come to understand now, more so than. Then, us that 90% or do of the cells inhabiting the human body are foreign, and that the balance can be disrupted quote easily. Bring it back into harmony is quite tricky.

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
    Aug 5, 2017
    Michigan
    Sounds like you may have several possible allergen culprits. A Dermatologist can test for allergic reaction to a lot of things. I had this done when I was about 12 and found I was allergic to house dust. I milked this all through High School and never had to work on a cleaning crew.

Once the Dermatologist knows what you're actually allergic to, He/She can treat the problem appropriately.

To check just the vaping possibilities, you could try some plain VG with a little water mixed in. This could tell you if it's PG or NIC causing the problem. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Can a dermatologist really test what you are allergic to? I'm genuinely curious because I did have allergies and I did have teen zits (Back when retin A was new and they didn't know it would deform your child and like, make your mood EVVVVIIIIIL) but I always thought an allergist did all the testing and whatnot.

Anna

Fran7777

Jul 11, 2019
    Sounds like you may have several possible allergen culprits. A Dermatologist can test for allergic reaction to a lot of things. I had this done when I was about 12 and found I was allergic to house dust. I milked this all through High School and never had to work on a cleaning crew.

Once the Dermatologist knows what you're actually allergic to, He/She can treat the problem appropriately.

To check just the vaping possibilities, you could try some plain VG with a little water mixed in. This could tell you if it's PG or NIC causing the problem. Good luck, hope you get it figured out.

Thanks for the advice, it'd be interesting to have a test done to see what it is. Have you seen the pictures of my skin reaction? Does it look at all like an allergic reaction to you? As I've always just thought it was the usual acne.

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
    Aug 5, 2017
    Michigan
    I am neither an Allergist nor a Dermotologist but I do watch Dr. Sandra Lee (Dr. Pimple Popper) faithfully. But a Dermotologist specializes in skin conditions and should be able to figure out what the problem is and determine a solution for your skin condition.

Fran7777

Jul 11, 2019
    If anyone is interested - this is my skin 5 days after quitting the vape (bottom pic) & what it was like the day I quit (top pic).

Attachments

• 20190711_121918.jpg
      20190711_121918.jpg
      731.9 KB · Views: 103
    • 20190717_074758.jpg
      20190717_074758.jpg
      776 KB · Views: 109
    Reactions: Jebbn
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread