• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Vaping alcholically

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone else find themselves vaping like they drank? It's probably a give-in that us drunks will take anything pleasureble to extreme levels, but I truly vape like I drank and drugged...like a FIEND. I'm up to 6-8ml of juice a day, I'm always fiending for a hotter and hotter throat hit, and I own more mods than I can afford. Anyone else relate?

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Well all the book promises is relief from our mental obsession of alcohol...Bill never said anything about personal vaporizers xD

And that's what it's all about, staying away from a drink today. But it pays for me to look at every aspect of my alcoholism, spiritual, mental and physical so that I recognize my behavior. Obsessions aren't neccessarily a negative thing. An obsession with good health for instance, but I do need to look at it for what it is. It's been working for me since 8/13/89.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Well then you're doing something right! What a trip though, you have more years sober than I do on this planet! Once I found relief from my obsession to drink and use and finished my steps, one of the main things that keeps me sober is my 10th step, which almost always includes "spent too much time fiddling with ecigs rather than doing work or going to a meeting", and I guess I just need to be aware of it and work to find a solution if it becomes an actual problem.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Exactly on the awareness. On the steps, for me, it's a matter of learning to live them rather than "Work" them. It's easy to live them in the rooms or work them with a sponsor, but out in the world all day long is a different matter. That's where either the rubber hits the road or the bullet hits the bone. I'd like to say I've learned to live them perfectly but self honesty won't allow it. Don't pay any attention to the date I posted. I'm no farther away from a drink than anyone else in spite of having experienced more days with a reprieve. My younger brother had 8 years and picked up. He died young as a result and didn't make it back. It would be foolish of me to think it can't happen to me. As I said earlier, eternal vigilance. My sobriety is contigent on my spiritual condition at any given time and I must maintain that. If I had to pick any one step in the maintenence steps it would be eleven, but I don't get a choice in the matter. I have to start with one in the morning when I wake up.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I strongly agree on 11. Loss of basic spiritual principles is the first step down the slippery slope of relapse, and for me, a constant and open dialogue with my higher power is critical to achieving intrinsic peace and contentedness on a daily basis. But as much as I value step 11, I can never pick my "favorite" step, because I find myself employing the precepts that I've learned through each and every one of them every day. The ones that I practice most often outside of the rooms are the 1st and 3rd though. I actually have a quote from p. 417 tattooed on my forearm as a constant reminder of those 2 steps:

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
I still read the third edition. It's on page 449 in that one. It's the one I grew up with. I used to go to the BB meetings and look at peoples books. Seems like everytime I saw a book that was old and falling apart the owner wasn't. I think that had little to do with how long they were sober. More to do with how serious they were about staying that way.

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I still enjoy reading my 3rd edition. That's one of the few stories in the book to have changed in the way it did between the 3rd and 4th editions. In the 3rd edition, the story that passage is featured in is called "The Doctor's Nightmare", where as in the 4th edition, I'm pretty sure it's called "Acceptance is the Answer". Whatever it is, I think it's ones of the most powerful stories in the book, because it's the only place where substances besides for alcohol are specifically mentioned, not to mention the few pages on acceptance!

Love how my books have weathered, takes me back to my first days in treatment reading Bill's Story and it fully clicking that I had a problem and needed help. Only thing that's stayed the same since I cracked the spine on my first big book is the sobriety date I wrote on the inside cover, which I don't have any intention of changing today :)

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Everytime I read the BB it seems like they've re-written it lol. As I trudge along the road to happy destiny and grow new things pop out at me and old things take on new meanings. My home group is called the Road to Recovery Group. Gotta go for now. You have a great day and stay vigilant and safe. It's been a good meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread