Vaping and Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommafish

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2012
okc
I would go to the diabetic clinic at ur Dr office. Numbers staying that high for any period of time can leed to complication. Eye sight, loss of limb, stroke. Srorry to be dasy downer but u need to get help with this. Have u tried not vaping for a couple of days and seeing if its just running high? Mine started doing that with no change in diet and exercise so my dr put me on insulin and now im doing great.. I hope u get this figured out cuz we dont want u back on the stink sticks.
Good luck

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Stress will raise your blood sugar levels considerably. So will illness. After a surgery it took over 5 weeks to get my blood sugar level back to normal. I am type 2 metformin only for 5 years now. Since you are newly diabetic your doctor should be having you make a chart of your levels about 4 times a day; morning fasting, before lunch, about 1 hour after lunch, and before bed. This is important so you can determine what foods affect your blood sugar, what activities can do so and to help you and your doctor find the best treatment, medicine for you. Sometimes it is a lot harder for a new diabetic to get their sugar regulated because they don't know what will affect it. Go to your local bookstore or Amazon and buy this book: The First Year Type 2 Diabetes, by Gretchen Becker. This will explain so much more about your diabetes than you will get from your doctor and nutritionist, if your doctor even sent you to one. It will give you whys and whatfors. I hope this helps you. It's scary in the beginning. I did some reading about diabetes and vaping and I would be surprised to find that it will have any significant effect on your blood sugar. The cigarettes are killers. I am not a doctor so if you are really concerned you should see your doctor.

Kristin0624

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Bradenton, Florida, United States

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I'm not eating because my sugar is too high...
That is not good either. You need to eat. It is not good to go many, many hours without eating something. Eat some protein, like a couple of hard boiled eggs, some tuna fish. What you are looking to do is to not eat a piece of cake or breads or pasta that will raise your blood sugars a lot. Meat, chicken, vegetables should be fine, in small portions. No sweets. You need to eat something.

Again, I am not a doctor.

Kristin0624

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
I'm not eating because my sugar is too high...

Fasting morning sugar is almost always the highest due to the liver dump I just posted about. I can only imagine you will see it rise, or no change unless you eat something. Are you on any diabetes meds?

Kristin0624

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Also, I would recommend seeing your doctor, HyperRealist. My boyfriend was regularly testing above 200 and he had a heart attack due to that. He was told that every time you go over 200 it takes two weeks for your cardiovascular system to heal, so if you are regularly showing numbers like that, your body is never healing. His cholesterol, BP, everything was pretty well under control, EXCEPT for the blood sugar, and it weakened his arterial walls so much they couldn't take the strain. Not trying to panic you, just trying to let you know what can happen. Go in and work with your doctor to do whatever it takes to get that under control. My boyfriend is now on insulin and though he has the occasional spike since he's a stubborn old Marine who likes pizza, his normal sugars are anywhere from 70 to 150. Maybe once a month gets a 230 or so.

HyperRealist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2012
Erie, PA
I never check my sugar. Today was the first time I checked it in months and like whoa. When i did check it all the time the highest it ever got was like 140. My left pinkie finger has been numb so I thought maybe it has something to do with blood sugar so i checked it today. I do bloodwork and see my doc every 3 months. I see him next month.

Kristin0624

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Do you know what your A1C was last time you went, or does he not share that info? I know some docs don't... I'd have him run one next month if he hasn't in a while. My boyfriend's was around 8 or so when he had his heart attack, he's down between 6 or 7 since... more 7's but way better.

Kristin0624

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Yeah, that's kind of exactly what my old man went through... Is still on max Metformin and also taking a short acting and intermediate acting insulin and Glyburide. It's pretty level now thankfully. Hope you get it worked out. Feel free to PM me anytime if you can't reach your doc and need me to check with my Mom or the b/f for advice.

Postscript: Hamburgers aren't lean protein, you!!!! I feel like I'm talking to my old man. :p Glad you ate though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread