• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Vaping and the Ignition Interlock System??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sendit2mybb

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Thought I'd start a new thread here. I will be getting my driver's license back in a few months after 6 years! (Yippee!!). I'm a habitual offender and of course will need to install the Ignition Interlock system in my car when I get my license back in October.

Anyway, I'm wondering about the small amount of alcohol that is present in some e-liquid and if this will register on the ignition interlock system while vaping? (I've been sober for 6 years and I don't need anything to interfere with retaining my license :D.)

I have never really done much research on the small amounts of alcohol in some of the e-liquids; does anybody have any ideas or thoughts on this?? I have been told by others in the rooms that you definitely don't want to rinse with Listerine at least 10 mins. before "blowing in the tube" to start your car; although, I also don't want it to shut down on me while driving if I'm vaping on my e-ciggie friend!!

Thanks for your thoughts!!

sendit2mybb

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA

kaystoys

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
New Milford, CT
Hi, I would be interested also, as I did not even suspect that there was any alcohol in them! I didn't see it listed anywhere in the ingredients of the various cartridges and juices.
HELP, before I order them I want to be certain. I will be ordering also for a friend who is very susceptible! And I don't want to take any chances myself! Thanks, Kay
darn, back to more research!

Mossman

Jun 16, 2009
Lowell, MA
Alcohol is used in some of the flavorings of e-juice, as not all flavors are water soluble, and must be extracted with alcohol (like vanilla, for example) and is found primarily in PG. But you're getting such a minuscule amount as to be nearly non-existent. You get more alcohol in a cap-full of mouthwash than you'd ever get from vaping... Besides, alcohol evaporates at such a low temperature, none of it will ever reach your bloodstream.

If you're still concerned, you could use VG exclusively... To my knowledge, it contains no alcohol, except for maybe very, VERY slight trace from the flavoring.

Alcohol is used in some of the flavorings of e-juice, as not all flavors are water soluble, and must be extracted with alcohol (like vanilla, for example) and is found primarily in PG. But you're getting such a minuscule amount as to be nearly non-existent. You get more alcohol in a cap-full of mouthwash than you'd ever get from vaping... Besides, alcohol evaporates at such a low temperature, none of it will ever reach your bloodstream.

If you're still concerned, you could use VG exclusively... To my knowledge, it contains no alcohol, except for maybe very, VERY slight trace from the flavoring.

Phew. I was very glad when I found this group, as one of my concerns has been the use of alcohol in some of the e-liquids. I haven't received my starter kit yet, but am very excited about it. It sets my mind at ease a bit to know that other AAs are vaping without seeming to have any adverse reactions.
Thanks!
Cate

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
Thanks Vince!
I think I'll be alright! I'll probably experiment a few times though when I get it and report back (that's if vaping is not totally banned by the FDA by then:(
sendit2mybb, Have you found out anything yet? I have a friend that is going to have to start using one of those things real soon. I would like to have an answer for him before he has problems if it causes problems.

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
I had one of those 5 years ago. Obviously, way before vaping. Only had one glitch. I used to use Binaca (the bad breath spray) and had just given my mouth a squirt, when the device beeped, signaling that it was time to blow into it) I was very suprised that I got a "warning" message. The next time I had to blow, about 15 min later, it was fine. Those devices are a real pita becasue they are set to go off at random intervals, when you are driving!! Anyway, I don't think your friend will have a problem, but to be sure I'd recommend trying a demo device at the place that's going to be doing the installation. Don't use your device because everything is recorded and you wouldn't want to start out on the wrong foot there!!

brownbear

Aug 30, 2010
Kansas
Alcohol without liquid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a wiki link to a device that does basically the same thing as a pv but with alcohol, granted it would be a very small amount but I think its plausible that it might register with an interlock device. All of the juice that I use is diy so the flavoring would be the only possible source and even then I don't but Loranne flavorings with an alcohol base. TPA and Flavourart I'm not really sure about what I am getting. I wouldn't start spiking my juice with everclear for the throat hit though.

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
Hey brownbear, Is this all you do at work all day? An AWOL machine that makes your mind go AWOL. You're just ...... because its been banned in Kansas and not in Nebraska. It does kind of point to the fact that an inter lock could be affected by vaping. It might be wise to just ask who ever installs the interlock machine about it. Maybe they would let you try it to see before they install it and it wouldn'y go on your record that way.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
A full standard 808 cartomizer holds about 1 ml of eliquid.

The VG eliquids are actually the ones more likely to contain some PGA (pure grain alcohol), as it is used to both thin the VG as well as add a bit more throat hit. For instance, when I buy "VG" nic base for do it yourself, it's actually got 5% ethyl alcohol, and I'll tend to keep it at about 5% in the final liquid.

Anyhow, 5% of 190 proof (95% alcohol) is equivalent to 10% of 95 proof.

So, a full carto, 1 ml, has the equivalent of 1/10 ml of 95 proof alcohol in it. 1/10 ml is 1/300 of an ounce (30 ml per oz).

I would not worry about getting a buzz on that, or about it being a trigger -- that 1/300 of an ounce, after all, is across the complete carto, several hours of moderately heavy use to go through that. You would kill yourself from nicotine poisoning long before you would have effects from the alcohol.

Concerning sensors, as others have said it is unlikely to be any issue whatsoever, short, possibly, of vaping directly into it. Absolutely test to make sure, like in a driveway at home, but I doubt there would be anything measurable.

Mouthwashes are a different story -- commercial over-the-counter stuff can easily push 20% alcohol (40 proof). So, if you gargle with that (not vaporizing), then blow into the mouthpiece it could reasonably be measured.

Mythbusters just repeated a holiday myth special last night. One item was ways to beat a sensor. Rinsing with mouthwash immediately beforehand raised the reading.

millerb

Oct 26, 2010
New Mexico
I currently have an interlock device on my car from a DUI 3 years ago.(Thank goodness I've been sober since)
But to answer your question, I vape 80pg 20vg and have never had an issue. However, I have heard of some alch based flavor liquids which I would avoid. Same goes w/aftershave,colonge etc.... Those devices are pretty sensitive so I stay away of anything w/alcohol. I do use rubbing alcohol to clean attys and batteries and tonight I jumped in the car to run to the store w/out washing my hands and I didnt have a problem. I would play it safe though and wash after cleaning an atty and driving.
just my 2 cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread