About vaporizers and breathalyzers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

unholy79

Apr 28, 2011
Warwick, NY
I've been an avid vaper for the past 2+ years, I've gone through many different models, many different liquids. My current setup is a Boge Revolution 2, IkenVape Platinum Carto's, and I alternate between IkenVape RY4 VG and a few different Johnson Creek PG flavors.

For the past 5 months, I've had an ignition interlock device in both of my family cars. Before anyone gets high and mighty here - nobody's perfect and I'll leave it at that.

vaping while driving has never been a big deal for me, it's something I've always enjoyed until I got the breathalyzer installed. I've done TONS of searching via Google trying to see if the alcohols used in our vaporizers could actually trigger it. The interlock I have is a 'LifeSafer' FC100.

Early on, I discovered that most if not every flavored smoke juice I used would trigger the breathalyzer and either cause it to malfunction (abort, or retest) or outright issue a 'fail.' Now these things are VERY sensitive, anything past a .02 is a fail, anything over .00 is a warn. That lead me to avoid the flavored juices and stick with the aforementioned RY4 and JC Original flavors.

On occasion, the unit would still malfunction, but I hadn't gotten any fails in months. My wife had more trouble with the unit in her car than I ever did with mine. This past Wednesday night, after a particularly long work day where I had been happily vaping my IkenVape RY4 all day without eating or drinking much of anything, I went out to start the car and immediately failed. Since these FC100's are by no means perfect, and I have dealt with them dealing false positives I waited the 15 minutes, tried again and failed again.

This time I broke out my portable breathalyzer, a very simple keychain model that I picked up at Best Buy for $10. It has 3 lights, 0 to .05 is green, .05 is yellow, .08 is red. I tested on that, and it gave me a .05. I waited a few minutes, tried again - .05. I waited a half hour, tried again, and it was green. I gave it another try to start my car and failed for a 3rd time. I finally gave up and got a ride home.

Now I'm not a scientist, nor am I getting down on vaping (I still do it, just not within an hour of having to drive my car), and from what I can tell - the alcohols in my vape juice through inhalation (I vape like every 5-10 minutes mind you) - either raised my BAC or left enough 'residue' in my mouth and lungs to trick 2 different breathalyzers into believing I had an elevated BAC. Short of getting a blood test to confirm whether or not it actually raised my BAC - it's enough to alter my habits when it comes to driving.

So in short, this is for other vapers who are searching for info about breathalyzers and how they may be affected by electronic cigarettes - electronic cigarettes WILL trigger them. I'd recommend brushing your teeth and rinsing (with non alcoholic mouth wash) prior to trying to use one.

Anyone else have similar experiences to share?

unholy79

Apr 28, 2011
Warwick, NY
Nod - the newer interlocks are able to distinguish between 'mouth alcohol' which comes from mouthwash and blood alcohol, but the FC100 makes no distinction. As far as police breathalyzers, they generally CAN tell the difference but in many cases the reason an officer will tell you to keep blowing until you're nearly out of breath is that the air at the base of your lungs will actually contain a higher concentration of alcohol and will generate a BAC result that could be significantly higher than what you've actually got in your blood. I've actually taken a drag from the revo and blown it directly into my portable breathalyzer and got no reading.. My best guess is that there is a cumulative effect - if this thing actually managed to raise my BAC - it feasibly opens up a whole new door and makes me wonder if one could actually be affected by it to the point that it could legitimately inhibit ones ability to drive.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
As a pretty heavy vaper I only consume 6 ml, 1/5 of an ounce, during an entire day.

I'm a DIY person, some of my flavorings do contain PGA (pure grain alcohol), but that is maybe, at very most, 10% - 20% (and 20% is a stretch), 1/25 - 1/50 of an ounce across an entire day of vaping (too high an alcohol % makes eliquid unvapably thin).

Say it's a 10 hour day (I actually reach 6 ml over 15 hours of vaping time). That equates to 1/250 - 1/500 of an ounce of PGA per hour, and even if all the eliquid (including flavorings and nicotine) somehow magically converted to PGA that would be 1/50 of an ounce per hour.

It bites that it trips a sensor, since it really is a tiny amount.

zara1269

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2010
Ohio
Very interesting indeed. I guess if one got pulled over...failed the field sobriety test...and then had to take a breathalyzer and subsequently failed, the prudent thing to do would be to insist on a blood alcohol test. I am thinking (and this is my very amateur thinking here) that your blood alcohol levels wouldn't even register and I think the blood alcohol test would overide a breathalyzer. Please correct me if I am wrong here. I don't even drink a beer and drive so this has piqued my curiosity.

unholy79

Apr 28, 2011
Warwick, NY
Unfortunately, at least here in NY, the DWI laws follow the Gallagher method - not sure if you could request a blood test or not, but if you refuse at all its an instant 6 month revocation of your license. I suppose the perk to such a low BAC measurement is that if you did get pinched by the time you got to the station, were processed, and had to take another test you'd likely have none in your blood. I'm not the one who got pinched and earned the wonderful device in my car, but I don't know whether or not they do a breathalyzer in the police cars or not. At least for now I'm off of vaping (which stinks because I absolutely love it) until the interlock is removed from my ride. First day was the worst since I'm used to vaping several times an hour, having a moment or two of panic before I realized I don't have it with me. Considering its $60 to reset the unit after a fail, analogs at this point are a cheaper method - but I do miss the freedom of being able to do it anywhere I like. I did some reading and apparently VG isn't supposed to contain any alcohol, but I had been vaping a 'flue cured' variety from a local retailer on the same carto, so I'm not sure if it was the Ikenvape VG that actually set it off or the cheap one I used before it. Bah... This STINKS! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread