Status
Not open for further replies.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I have a Mitred Conure and a Yellow Collar Macaw. Both of them hated it when I smoked. If Annabella, the macaw, was sitting on me when I went to light a cigarette, she'd start pinching me hard and try to make me put the match or lighter down.

They have no issues with my vaping. (BTW, birds have no sense of smell.)

Just as you would with small children, you need to be careful about how you handle nicotine with pets. Poeia, the conure, likes to stand on my desk in front of my monitor. That's also where I fill my cartos and do other futzing with my PV. I always made sure to thoroughly clean the desk before letting her stand there. And I kept my liquids well out of their reach. (I've gone nicotine-free so I don't have to worry about that any longer -- just a quick wipe to make sure she doesn't get anything sticky on her feet.)

ryanmercer

Jun 20, 2010
Speedway, IN
Hey Angelz...I vape around two little parakeets all the time. Not seeing any issues, but I haven't yet taught them how to say, "Pollys having respiratory issues...SQUAAACK!!

The residual in vapor is still up in the air, but all of the tests I've seen show little to no nicotine content. You should be fine :)

Hahah, that got a good laugh out of me.

jaross

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
CO
cool to hear about all the bird owners here, did not know there were so many. Also, before reading this thread I would never have vaped around my birds, but I guess from what you guys have said, it goes to show that vaping really is not full of harmful chemicals...

I wouldn't vape around them anyway, because they are at my moms house and she does not need to know about my nicotine habbit. In any case, birds are indeed very sensitive to things in the air. My mom has gone to the point of getting rid of all our non-stick pans because I guess they can die from the fumes from those.

We have a male Eclectus and a Rosella!

35351_1329997730796_1256559652_30751021_95970_n.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread