Status
Not open for further replies.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
It would be a huge amount of work but I'm wondering if we could start an encyclopedia of vaping (unless its already been done the someone please point me there).

Here's how it could work:

1. Template as to presentation. We'd agree as to the fixed template. All contributors would submit according to the template, no changes or deviations, i.e. max two photos
  2. Categories: PV's, mods, cart's, tanks, etc.
  3. "Living" document: Because it would be here in the ECF it would be alive and always current.
  4. No Advertising: Just the facts.
  5. No product reviews: Just the facts
  6. Product warnings:
  7. Manufacturers

I think there would be very important benefits for the community:

1. A reference point. I love the fact that this is wild west time but would like to have a central reference point where I can see When a Lava Tube became an L Ryder or vice versa or the fact the difference between a 1.0 and a 1.5 L Ryder or Lava Tube ...whatever
  2. Who makes the things: Yes I know most of the high volume stuff comes out of China but would like to know more, etc.
  3. Product warnings: I can here the lawyers starting to squirm in their seats as to liability issues but while I'm new but extremely impressed by the level of self-regulation in this community. That knowledge should be centrally located.

Sure there is a ton more.

Thoughts...............

Since then I was referred to Best e-Cig Mod List | e-Cig Mods Database but as I said is a subsequent thread

“Okay had a much closer. All the activity seems to have occurred about a year ago. Couldn't find any thing on the big names i.e., Zenesis, GG, Orion, etc; nothing on tanks, etc. This suggests that for this type of data base it has to be community managed. Don't get me wrong what they did was great but its gone stale, no traffic.

Maybe be time to bring the idea inside?

Any Moderators out there with an opinion?”

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Well, we already have an ECF Wiki - is that the kind of thing you had in mind? Editors are urgently needed to write/update articles there.

Please be gentle I'm a) an ecstatic newbie to vaping; b) an old guy; and c) tightly clutching to my MacBook Pro comfort blanket.

I looked at ECF Wiki at it looked a lot like Wikipedia (I guess that was on purpose) what I was thinking was something simple like the site I was referred to (see above) but have no clue how or if it would fit into the ECF architecture. Would be happy to contribute / help but worry that I would be the Homer Simpson in the neuc plant of the ECF.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
HAd another look at the Wiki. It would probably work technically I guess the weak point is what you said "Editors are urgently needed to write/update articles there."

It would have to be maintained and updated. Took a look at some of the other Wiki entries....some cob webs. The key is to get contributions - members / vapers or manufacturers or both.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
The thing you have to remember is a project of this magnitude requires either huge amounts of cash to fund fulltime "professional" writers and provide them with product to evaluate photograph and "review". OR a dedicated LARGE cadre of volunteers. Expecting the small staff of ECF to take on a project of this magnitude is unrealistic -- something like this requires large amounts of community involvement in order to be viable. Perfect for the wiki model, once you get experienced editors involved in the project.

Projectguy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Oakville, ON
Agree completely with you project assessment. I was hoping that the community engagement found here would be the source of the "dedicated LARGE cadre of volunteers". The key to the use of the volunteers I think would be initial template design (the "pros") followed page by page construction (the volunteers / members) followed by approval of inputs / pages by the people "lurking in the shadows". The individual pages would be obviously open to "audit" by the membership this last point shouldn't be much of an issue as these pages would be a matter of fact not a youtube review.

Actually I think were on the same page completely

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
indeed. once we have some volunteers for the wiki it becomes a matter of standard TECHNICAL reviewing and quality control by the wiki admins. Something of this nature needs to be as unbiased by personal opinion as possible. A simple "facts and figures" persentation along with standard views of the devices would be in the template. Something along the lines of L,W,H material, battery size switch rating(amps), switch MTBF, weight etc. Standardizing the photos would also make it less of a glamour shots project -- Simple photos straight on and side view alongside a ruler for scale. Not sexy but more useful than putting lipstick on a pig and spouting superlatives...

Just food for thought, this is Eddies baby should he chose to implement it in the Wiki.

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Projectguy - the ECF Wiki is running the MediaWiki software, that's why it looks like that other well known Wiki on the web. I think the Sarge and Rolygate had, several months ago, talked about upgrading the software to give more functionality but, I guess, there's cost associated with that.

Sarge - I have tried to implement a 'standard' template for hardware and use some of the 'best practice' of Wikipedia, in terms of categories, re-directs, tags etc. However, as pointed out, it takes time and effort to seek out the new, review it, put up its specs with links etc etc...I thought I had made some progress but the sheer speed of new developments means, sadly, we may always be a little behind the curve of current knowledge. An example, the article on the Lavatube needs updating to reflect the current versions from both the original and 'pirate' manufacturers.

It's a lot of work and help is always appreciated :thumbs:

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Looks like we have a good volunteer :) Eddie -- if you need any folks to be granted access to the wiki forum please PM me with their usernames and I'll add them as needed.

That's OK Sarge - I can handle the new user account requests as they come in as per previous arrangements.

Rttch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
Edmonton
Tremendous!!! PS I hope you realize you just volunteered.

Let's get more

Okay, but be easy on me at first. I'm going through a large transition this summer as my youngest is starting full time schooling in September, my oldest is starting puberty and will be getting the "bees and the birds" talk this summer, and I'm going to start working again after being home for 8 years.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
You know what? I sat here and thought and thought again.....

Is there a way to prove to the Veterans what i know without using google? (go through my 1,009 posts? um 1,010 i forgot to count this one in)

projectguy? I am actually honored you asked me to be a part of this, and as such i not giving up on a chance that comes along once in a life time, so yeah count me in.....~IF~ there is a way to prove i am well trained jedi vapor :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread