Vaping flavour extremely disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeViv

Sep 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

Brand new to vaping here. I just got my express starter kit from vaporfi. I want a little overboard and bought a few juices and thinking I might even need extra batteries I bought another similar kit from Eversmoke that was on sale and their sample pack of prefilled cartridges. I was really looking forward to it because I've heard when you vape the flavours are delicious but this hasn't been my experience. I've tried 4 of the cartridge flavours (cool mint, piña colada, very vanilla and peppermint party). I also tried the e-juices from vaporfi (very vanilla, amaretto Sunrise and mighty menthol) using the mini clearomizers. All juices and cartridges are 70PG 30VG 1.2 nic except for amaretto sunrise which is 50/50 and 0.6%nic. Juices are double shot. I'm very disappointed because with all these flavours I should have liked something but the truth is none of them taste like I thought they should (exept perhaps the menthol juice which is slightly better). The supposed flavour is week or non-existent and all I get is this weird chemically taste that it's hard to describe but perhaps like some kind of medicine I've had before mixed with rubbing alcohol. I know eversmoke and vaporfi are sister companies so perhaps their juices are like that but reviews were fantastic for these juices which makes me think I'm the problem. Maybe vaping just isn't for me? Extremely bummed. Any advice? Thanks! And sorry for the long post but figure details on juices might be useful for a diagnosis.

Reactions: skullblade789

Makaela

Oct 1, 2015
Texas
Hi everyone,

Brand new to vaping here. I just got my express starter kit from vaporfi. I want a little overboard and bought a few juices and thinking I might even need extra batteries I bought another similar kit from Eversmoke that was on sale and their sample pack of prefilled cartridges. I was really looking forward to it because I've heard when you vape the flavours are delicious but this hasn't been my experience. I've tried 4 of the cartridge flavours (cool mint, piña colada, very vanilla and peppermint party). I also tried the e-juices from vaporfi (very vanilla, amaretto Sunrise and mighty menthol) using the mini clearomizers. All juices and cartridges are 70PG 30VG 1.2 nic except for amaretto sunrise which is 50/50 and 0.6%nic. Juices are double shot. I'm very disappointed because with all these flavours I should have liked something but the truth is none of them taste like I thought they should (exept perhaps the menthol juice which is slightly better). The supposed flavour is week or non-existent and all I get is this weird chemically taste that it's hard to describe but perhaps like some kind of medicine I've had before mixed with rubbing alcohol. I know eversmoke and vaporfi are sister companies so perhaps their juices are like that but reviews were fantastic for these juices which makes me think I'm the problem. Maybe vaping just isn't for me? Extremely bummed. Any advice? Thanks! And sorry for the long post but figure details on juices might be useful for a diagnosis.
Go to a shop with ALOT of juice and try as many as you can to get the feel of what you like and don't. I love pina coladas not in vapor. I love strawberries not in vapor. See what I mean? And before you go ask if they have coffee beans on hand. If not take a container with some with you. After a while the flavors will all start to mix and you may not be able to taste anymore. Smell the coffee beans until you can. I would try single flavors and other house mixes and some different premium juices.

Reactions: skullblade789

skullblade789

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
Waynesboro, PA
Take your time. Vaping is a different experience for different people. I had multiple progressions thought my 3 year stint of finding the right vapes for me. I can tell you I am still trying to find better things with in vaping. Everyone here is still learning different things everyday. You do not need shiny itis to get the right vape. Here is a suggestion to get you in the right direction.

1.) Have patience in finding your right vape equipment and flavor.
2.) Go to your local B&M store (Brick and Mortar) (Vape Store). If they are worth anything, they will take the time to get you on the right path. Also they will let you sample flavors and give you the newbie advice on vaping equipment.
3.) Figure out your budget for vaping. It is cheaper than cigarettes, but liquids and coils can cost a good amount.
4.) Get used to your gear then see if you want to upgrade. A lot of vape stores will have points or deals to get e-liquids or mods for discounted prices. I love Vast Vapor for this. They are my local Vape Store.

A recommendation from me when I first started:
1.) eleaf mini stick and Atlantis mini tank. MOD: runs about $30/TANK: $20. Replacement coils run about $15.00 for a 5 pack. Note: The Atlantis can be hard to get open some times. Put the tank in the freezer for 5 minutes and the tank should open up.
2.) Eleaf 30W stick and Kanger subtank mini. MOD: Runs about $40-$50/Tank: $40-$45. Replacement coils wil run you $18 for 5 coils. I like the coils and the OOC just gives the flavor of the juice that much mmpphhh!! Tank is easier to manipulate to get open. I would have rags on hand when you fill the tanks to clean up the leakage. Also you get a rebuild able deck for later on experimentation. I like the rebuildable deck, because I can build my own coils now and save even more money.
3.) Again learn patience and it will come to you. You do not need high end right now, just something to get you on the right path. A simple ego stick can get you there also. The complete starter kit can run you about $30. Not a bad starter to e-liquids also.
4.) The time may not be right for you. That is okay. You will know when the time is right.

I really hope this helps you. This has been my experience.

CG138

Sep 15, 2015
Nebraska
I can't speak to that device or those juices specifically. I will say stay with it. Flavor is extremely subjective. It took my wife weeks to find a flavor she could vape. You can try to "breathe" the juices you have. Pop the tops off and let them sit in a cabinet for a few hours. Sometimes helps with the chemically tastes. You can also let them sit capped for a week in a dark place. It helps with the flavor sometimes.

skullblade789

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
Waynesboro, PA
I can't speak to that device or those juices specifically. I will say stay with it. Flavor is extremely subjective. It took my wife weeks to find a flavor she could vape. You can try to "breathe" the juices you have. Pop the tops off and let them sit in a cabinet for a few hours. Sometimes helps with the chemically tastes. You can also let them sit capped for a week in a dark place. It helps with the flavor sometimes.

You are right to let the liquids to breathe or steep. It also depends on what tank the person is using. If it is a top feeder wick, then you have to tilt the ecig up to get the flavor to the wick. Bottom feeders you do not. I also recommend "Mountain Oak Vapors". There flavors are usually spot on to the description. Also if there is a problem with shipping or bottle they will ship the same product to you with no cost to you. There customer service is top notch.

Last edited:

MaenadMoogle

Jul 16, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
Hi everyone,

Can you post a pic of your set up? Or tell us a bit more about it I'm at work and can't access too many sites.

If what you are using has cartridges, it's probably a cig-a-like. (I'm not familiar with vaporfi). A LOT of us started out there and quickly ditched them, but there are some people who like them. For most people I've spoken to, the cartridges can be expensive and have a weird taste. For a lot of people, it's not enough vapor or battery life to really be effective in quitting smoking.

You'll get some great advice in this forum, but my biggest advice right now is to go get yourself an ego or evod kit.

It's going to be bigger than a cigarette, which will take some getting used to, but you'll be able to refill the tank with any juices you like. (I recommend getting one online rather than from a shop because they tend to be cheaper online).

Then go to a local store and try some juices. Or see if they'll let you try out one of their starter kits (I have one store near me that will and one that won't) They should be able to help you in regards to your coils and nic levels and how to refill your tank and such.

In the future you'll probably want to upgrade away from the ego, but It's definitely a better starting place for MOST people than the cig-a-likes.

Reactions: VapeViv

VapeViv

Sep 27, 2015
Thank you MaenaMoogle, it is a cigalike but as I mentioned in the initial post you can get mini clearomizers that you can refill, so the bad flavours are present whether I use a clearomizer or a pre-filled cartridge. After doing a lot of reasearch I ended up also buying an ego type from vaprofi but I'm worries that after investing all this money I'm just not going to end up liking vaping flavour after all! Unfortunately I live in Australia where vaping has not really caught on so there are no good vaping stores where you can taste juices and even selling nic juices is illegal, so you have to import them.

VapeViv

Sep 27, 2015
Thank you MaenaMoogle, it is a cigalike but as I mentioned in the initial post you can get mini clearomizers that you can refill, so the bad flavours are present whether I use a clearomizer or a pre-filled cartridge. After doing a lot of reasearch I ended up also buying an ego type from vaprofi but I'm worries that after investing all this money I'm just not going to end up liking vaping flavour after all! Unfortunately I live in Australia where vaping has not really caught on so there are no good vaping stores where you can taste juices and even selling nic juices is illegal, so you have to import them.
Thanks everyone

skullblade789

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2015
Waynesboro, PA

Honestly I would really look into Mountain Oak. I have great experience with them. I have posted several reviews on their flavors. "Eric Ebe", That would be me on the site. Also keep reading the site for e-liquid reviews and company reviews. That can help tremendously.

MaenadMoogle

Jul 16, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
Oh man! That's rough!

Okay. Without stores. . . check out some online places that might sell sample packs. my first foray into buying online was "the vapor room". They're in the states, so I'm not sure if they'll ship to you or not. But, if they do, my first buy from them was their sample pack. You get 10, 3ml bottles of juice. It's enough to try a tankful or two, but not so much that it feels like a waste if you hate it. Their stuff IS NOT pre-steeped though, so once you get it, you need to let it sit for about two weeks (I'm terrible at this and usually end up vaping it within a week). I've vaped a few of their things straight out of the package and they've been okay, but I really recommend letting them sit for at least a week to get the full flavor.

Everybody has a different steeping process. I've seen guys on here say to steep for a few MONTHS.

I'm lucky if it lasts three days. But the general thing is to put in a drawer or something and just forget about it for a while. ;)

Everybody is going to have different tastes when it comes to juices. and your tastes are going to change. A few of the juices that I LOVED at the beginning, I can't stand now. And a few that I thought had NO flavor, are actually quite delicious. Don't give up!

VapeViv

Sep 27, 2015
Thanks everyone, I guess I'll keep trying different flavours and see how it goes with the ego when it arrives. I am also trying to steep the juices because I had read that that might improve the flavour as suggested here also... But that won't fix the cartridge flavours... Do you find that the chemically flavours are consistent within a brand of juice?

Reactions: dcfluegel

VapeViv

Sep 27, 2015
Oh man! That's rough!

Okay. Without stores. . . check out some online places that might sell sample packs. my first foray into buying online was "the vapor room". They're in the states, so I'm not sure if they'll ship to you or not. But, if they do, my first buy from them was their sample pack. You get 10, 3ml bottles of juice. It's enough to try a tankful or two, but not so much that it feels like a waste if you hate it. Their stuff IS NOT pre-steeped though, so once you get it, you need to let it sit for about two weeks (I'm terrible at this and usually end up vaping it within a week). I've vaped a few of their things straight out of the package and they've been okay, but I really recommend letting them sit for at least a week to get the full flavor.

Everybody has a different steeping process. I've seen guys on here say to steep for a few MONTHS.

I'm lucky if it lasts three days. But the general thing is to put in a drawer or something and just forget about it for a while. ;)

Everybody is going to have different tastes when it comes to juices. and your tastes are going to change. A few of the juices that I LOVED at the beginning, I can't stand now. And a few that I thought had NO flavor, are actually quite delicious. Don't give up!

Thanks a lot for this advice. I won't give up yet. A question... When steeping multiple flavours, is it ok to leave them all in the same place with the caps open or will there be croos contamination of the flavours if you do this? Thanks!

Reactions: dcfluegel

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
howdy! and welcome!

couple of quick things come to mind - i got some vaporfi flavors early on and was not impressed with them - though they have been steeping now for a while, so i may go back and check them, see if they have improved... i have found a LOT of times with a chemical or alcohol type taste, some steeping (including some time spent with the top off the bottle to let some of the volatiles evaporate off) can make a big difference

don't give up - it may take a little time, research to find flavors that really rock your boat - it's worth it

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Thanks a lot for this advice. I won't give up yet. A question... When steeping multiple flavours, is it ok to leave them all in the same place with the caps open or will there be croos contamination of the flavours if you do this? Thanks!
i have not noticed any adverse effects from steeping multiple flavors together - but if i have caps off, i will set them out on desk for an hour or two, then recap, shake, put back in drawer/ box... repeat process for a couple of days (the cap off part) then put em up and let em steep for a bit, just giving em a good shake once a day

Reactions: MaenadMoogle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread