Vaping is harmful..another study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
"While further research is needed to fully understand the effects of e-cigarette exposure in humans in vivo, we caution against the widely held opinion that e-cigarettes are safe."

I agree with this statement. This study looks decent to me in terms of its methodology, especially compared to many other studies into vaping. E-cigarettes are not "safe" - they are waaaaaaay safer than cigarettes, which are themselves way safer than jumping into lava. The problem is that being way safer leads to them being erroneously labelled as safe by many proponents, whereas never-smokers who start vaping do show signs of worsening quality breathing. For those of us that switched from smoking cigarettes they're great and the number of awful studies claiming otherwise have led many people to immediately dismiss any study suggesting harm from vaping, which I don't think is helpful for anyone.

I would have liked for them to test 100% VG and 100% PG separately rather than just 50:50 and whilst 36mg/ml nic may seem excessive it is the top end of what I've heard of people using. Furthermore, using straight-up eliquid and condensate rather than vapour will obviously result in far more prolonged exposure than vaping ever produces, but this makes it easier to see what problems may arise from repetitive exposure to vapour over the course of a few decades.

@Myk TNFa modulates immune function in many ways - it can induce cell death but also stimulates the production of many inflammatory cytokines. Obviously in your case the predominant effect is undesirable (as a matter of fact, every time it was mentioned as a druggable target during my studies the goal was reducing/inhibiting its effects) but if a person with normal physiology took your medicines...well, they wouldn't have a good time :p Calling it pro- or anti-inflammatory is an oversimplification that many journal articles are guilty of and news outlets are even worse :/

Mucolytics in aerosols have been trialed with CF and COPD but with more side-effects than positive effects, but my messiah complex with regards to drugging myself up says that I could probably titrate a dose for myself as an eliquid component to finally put an end to coughing up mucus...

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
@Myk TNFa modulates immune function in many ways - it can induce cell death but also stimulates the production of many inflammatory cytokines. Obviously in your case the predominant effect is undesirable (as a matter of fact, every time it was mentioned as a druggable target during my studies the goal was reducing/inhibiting its effects) but if a person with normal physiology took your medicines...well, they wouldn't have a good time :p Calling it pro- or anti-inflammatory is an oversimplification that many journal articles are guilty of and news outlets are even worse :/

Many with my physiology don't have a good time good time either. Other than the fresh baked cookies and best nurses ever I don't.
I call it an immune response. Sometimes it's a good thing. Sometimes it's not.
Immune systems, can't live with them, can't live without them.

It's just really annoying, "Oh Noes!!! Harmful to immune systems.", "Gee, why is my patient afraid to take their immune suppressing meds?"
"Oh Noes!!! Smoking gave this person CRC and now they have an ostomy. It's worse than death.", "Gee, why won't my patient accept colectomy to save their life?"
"Don't smoke. Cancer cancer cancer cancer." "Why don't you want this medicine with a risk of cancer?"
They spend so much time propagandizing "to save a life" without considering if what they propagandize will cost life.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
Here's a kind of related study I would like to see someone do: Since we have all these kids "Juuling" why doesn't someone track how many missed school days due to illness, especially colds and respiratory illnesses, the "Juuling " kids have compared to the nonsmokers, nonvapers in their same school. The results could be interesting..or not.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
Here's a kind of related study I would like to see someone do: Since we have all these kids "Juuling" why doesn't someone track how many missed school days due to illness, especially colds and respiratory illnesses, the "Juuling " kids have compared to the nonsmokers, nonvapers in their same school. The results could be interesting..or not.
Lots of confounding factors to consider - are juulers more likely to skip school? Do they have a lower threshold for what they consider to be an adequate illness to skip school? Do juulers use more drugs than their counterparts? are they from different social-economic backgrounds/areas more polluted? what are their diets like? Do juulers have worse immune systems and thus choose to juul rather than smoke in the hopes that they'll still be accepted among the cool kids at school? Do jewish juulers juul because jew juuler juuling is amazingly alliterative?

I never liked the word juul and now I really hate it :p

bhayes

May 11, 2011
hartford ct
I think I am going to use up my current batch of e-liquid (about 2 months worth), and let my current mods wear out (about 2 months from now also), and think a little before purchasing more of either while I watch this new set of studies pan out. I would think something as serious as COPD and some of the other negative effects mentioned would show up a lot sooner than 10-30 years. I thought I was short of breath a couple of years ago and asked my doctor if I may have COPD and she fished out a COPD tester in her office and tested me with it, (it is an instrument you blow into) and said I did not have COPD.
Since we have MRI, X-ray and COPD instrument, I am pretty sure they can invent or already have a machine that can measure END effects with patients who say they use them to find out if they are suffering any ill effects. it may take a long for lung cancer to show up, but x-rays show cancer taking its toll in about 10+ years of smoking, I recently had an MRI scan performed at my hospital and my doctor did not see any negative lung imaging from vaping yet. I've been vaping for 7 years:)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread