Vaping isn't smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubergeek922

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Cincinnati
I've seen many people on here correct others for using the terms smoke or smoking to refer to their vaping. If there is a distinction, and we want to educate others that they are different, why is this forum called "General e-smoking discussion" instead of "General vaping discussion"? :D
Feel free to let this thread die. It humored me.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
Because the forum was created before the terminology changed, as well as a way for new members to easily understand things. E-smoking comes from e-cigs and might sound friendlier than "vaping."

and this is the 1029* post on this topic :D:facepalm:

*I really don't know how many posts were created on this topic, but it is about the 12th I've seen since I've joined.

Last edited:

Cann0n

Jul 5, 2013
Keystoned Heights, FL
e-smoking would refer to electronic smoking. I wouldn't pay much attention to forum members when they try to correct terminology. I don't consider my iTaste SVD with an Octopus RDA an e-cigarette... but e-cigarette is still a staple term for this forum.

Like the longboard forum I attend regularly... I don't feel a need to separate skateboarding and longboarding because it's still a from of skateboarding... but some members make it a big deal. "we don't skateboard, we longboard".

It's not exactly the same, but still.. terms are words.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
I've seen many people on here correct others for using the terms smoke or smoking to refer to their vaping. If there is a distinction, and we want to educate others that they are different, why is this forum called "General e-smoking discussion" instead of "General vaping discussion"? :D

It's to confuse members of the public, health agencies and politicians, they haven't a clue what we're up to :p

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
well I guess you could say I'm e-smoking or electronic smoking but that just sounds odd

I understand correcting people because the general idea is just that...you are no longer smoking and proud of it :2cool: ..there's no tobacco, there's no fire, no smoke. Just nicotine, flavoring and vapor!

But yes it is funny on the name, but it's what gets searched for because it is what the media calls it.
But we know better ;) and well are trying one vaporer (?) at a time to change the image of vaping that it is not smoking even though the media begs to differ.

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
Because the forum was created before the terminology changed, as well as a way for new members to easily understand things. E-smoking comes from e-cigs and might sound friendlier than "vaping."

and this is the 1029* post on this topic :D:facepalm:

*I really don't know how many posts were created on this topic, but it is about the 12th I've seen since I've joined.

Off topic, but how the heck do you rack up almost 3000 posts in less than 2 months?! I just looked at your join date and post count, and those don't go together! lol.

I'm not saying nothing, I sit on ECF about 5hrs a day or so, too. I just guess I don't always have much to say.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Off topic, but how the heck do you rack up almost 3000 posts in less than 2 months?! I just looked at your join date and post count, and those don't go together! lol.

I'm not saying nothing, I sit on ECF about 5hrs a day or so, too. I just guess I don't always have much to say.
Good lord! your right jefsview is a posting fool!

Nacon

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Long Island, NY
Political correctness always seems to be a matter of perspective. I totally agree about clarifying that its vaping to the press because their perspective on things in general has a bias and agenda.

I'm still waiting for the day that bouncers and security can differentiate between the two. Having people like them consider it the same means ending up in a smoker's section. Being an ex smoker, I'm more sensitive to the smell again and prefer not bring around it when there's a good handful of people puffing away.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA

'Vaping' is a made up word. Ask anyone in the non e-cig world to define 'vape' or 'vaping' and they likely wouldn't have a clue. I personally have always thought it was stupid and counterproductive from a pr standpoint. Ditto the term 'analog' when referring to cigarettes. Let's see an otherwise intelligent presentation before the FDA or Congress with the terms vaping or analogs thrown in. Credibility will go out the window IMO.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Best guess:

As long as they are distinct terms, they satisfy a "not equal" test. Thus, they are different things. If guilt by association where applied to terms, then we'd have a lot more trouble with English than we already do.

juice, e-juice
then, than
e-mai, mail
two, to, too, toot

all have distinct uses, different meanings, and are not the same.

Although both vaping (e-smoking) and smoking inhale (or at least draw into mouth), they are different substances and are not the same thing. You can't call vaping smoking. Neither can you call e-smoking smoking. Smoking requires smoke.

To reitterate...e-smoking and smoking are completely different concepts. The error is in the question:

why is this forum called "General e-smoking discussion" instead of "General vaping discussion"?

Although it could have been caled General Vaping Discussion, it doesn't have to be.

It's like asking "Have you stopped beating your wife?" The error is in the incorrect thought process of the question. (Saying "yes" or "no" is equally bad. A loaded question.)

Although, to be fair, I think I asked the same question long ago. And basically, it's that way for historical reasons and won't change.

However, "e-smoking" does not necessarily imply smoke and is a distinct term with "historical" roots in mannerisms. I think. ;)

Last edited:

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il

I've played several of the Halo Number Game in the HALO sub-forum. It requires lots of postings as we try to win a free bottle of juice; then you come around for the next round to help others move the thread along (can't post back to back, so others need the occassional bump). All of this equals high post count and free Halo Juice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread