Vaping masters, Please HELP with constant BURNT/DRY Hits!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LVixen

Verified Member
Jul 5, 2015
@LVixen

I figured you had a pretty good grasp on the concept but i read that blog just before i posted my comment and remembered about his analogy of the water wheel. I really like that analogy for some reason and it helped me understand better why its sometimes better to build .8 and up on your rda.

And i mean better for flavor and proper vapor production. Not to mention that its safer too.

Oh I've never heard this water wheel analogy, but it sounds like it would make a lot of sense. I'll be sure to read that tonight. Thanks again Darth!!

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Nothing wrong with dual coils, for what it's worth. It's just that 24 gauge is very heavy wire and won't perform optimally without either building very low (for the mech) or really cranking the watts (on the IPV).

You seem to have all your ducks in a row, it's just a matter of getting some more wire options and learning the "fine art" of building optimally (whatever you deem that to be). Practice makes perfect and wick and wire are cheap. Enjoy!

Reactions: Darth Omerta

LVixen

Verified Member
Jul 5, 2015
Unless you're vaping 100+ watts I would suggest 27g wire (which can still do 100 watts), heat up/cool down will be much quicker which helps prevent burnt hits. In your pics that is too much cotton, 90+VG can't wick through that mass quick enough.

I also suggest at least trying rayon for wicking, more heat tolerance and better flavor (to a lot of people).

You don't need dual coils to chuck clouds. Try single coil and see what you think if your atomizer supports single coil mode.

Keep inhaling for a second after releasing the button on your mod, it helps tremendously with cooling and keeping the coil from fouling.

Nothing wrong with dual coils, for what it's worth. It's just that 24 gauge is very heavy wire and won't perform optimally without either building very low (for the mech) or really cranking the watts (on the IPV).

You seem to have all your ducks in a row, it's just a matter of getting some more wire options and learning the "fine art" of building optimally (whatever you deem that to be). Practice makes perfect and wick and wire are cheap. Enjoy!

Okay, I'll definitely be purchasing higher gauge wire and perhaps rayon for wicking, but in the meanwhile, you guys are suggesting that I increase the power (which I would love to do), but the thing is, anytime I go above 40 watts, it gives me a ginormous burnt/dry hit on the first pull!! How am I supposed to turn it up to 100+ watts? Just have faith in the good Lawd and do it? :unsure:

LVixen

Verified Member
Jul 5, 2015
@Wolfenstark , @VictorViper

Okay so I did what was suggested and built a single coil using the 24g Kanthal (because it's all I have at this time), 8 wraps with a 2.4mm ID. Came out to 0.66 ohms. Scraped the coil with a flat head screw driver and made sure there were not hot spots or hot leads. Made sure the coil was well positioned in relationship to the cyclop air hole on the Plume Veil. Wicked it with less cotton than before, made sure the wick had very little resistance inside the coil and left plenty of empty space for air flow below the coil. Used 80%VG juice to saturate it and made sure there was a little juice on the deck as well. Fired it up to test it and it looked okay. Attached the RDA to the iPV3 Li.

Took the first hit at 30 watts and didn't really get a lot of vapor, but no burnt hit either.
Increased the power to 35 watts, took another hit and nearly hacked a lung! LOL! Burnt/dry hit for sure! Took the top cap off and the wick still looked quite saturated.

Who the heck knows...:confused: I guess I really need higher gauge wire!

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
For some reason it looks like both of the leads are in the 2 center posts. I cant imagine it would fire at all if that were the case so its all in my head.

As for the build, everything looks good to me. The wick looks like its wet enough, the wraps look tight enough. The only thing I've got left in my book of suggestions is build smaller coils with similar resistance. 1/16 drill bit works perfect for me every single time. I might even shoot for a 1 ohm build on a 1/16 drill bit, just to see if that helps.

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
Took the first hit at 30 watts and didn't really get a lot of vapor, but no burnt hit either.
Increased the power to 35 watts, took another hit and nearly hacked a lung! LOL! Burnt/dry hit for sure! Took the top cap off and the wick still looked quite saturated.

Did the wick look burnt when you removed it?

LVixen

Verified Member
Jul 5, 2015
I would be inclined to work on the surface area of the coil first and get a really good dual coil at around .6 with ID of 1.58mm. Try that with cotton and check out your wicking then. Should get a decent cloud with lots of flavor and no dry hits.
I'd be willing to try this, but I'm not so sure how it would work because the gentlemen here are informing me that 24g kanthal is too thick/heavy and slow to heat up and cool down, so I would think increasing the surface area would exacerbate the problem, no? I mean, we're talking about 20 wraps each coil, right?

Reactions: Darth Omerta

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
@Wolfenstark , @VictorViper

Okay so I did what was suggested and built a single coil using the 24g Kanthal (because it's all I have at this time), 8 wraps with a 2.4mm ID. Came out to 0.66 ohms. Scraped the coil with a flat head screw driver and made sure there were not hot spots or hot leads. Made sure the coil was well positioned in relationship to the cyclop air hole on the Plume Veil. Wicked it with less cotton than before, made sure the wick had very little resistance inside the coil and left plenty of empty space for air flow below the coil. Used 80%VG juice to saturate it and made sure there was a little juice on the deck as well. Fired it up to test it and it looked okay. Attached the RDA to the iPV3 Li.

Who the heck knows...:confused: I guess I really need higher gauge wire!

View attachment 469286 View attachment 469287

maybe you are using too high milligram strength eliquid for the power you are running.

You should be using something like 3mg.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Here's the material/equipment I've been working with:

Wick: Japanese cotton pads
Wire: only have 24g Kanthal
Juice: Max VG juices, mostly >90% VG (Virgin Vapor, Velvet Cloud, etc)
Builds (all dual coils):
  • tried a 0.4 ohm (10 wraps around 2.4mm drill bit)
  • also tried a 0.3 ohm with a larger inner diameter (6 wraps around 3.0mm drill bit)
  • and even larger ID (6 wraps around 5/32" drill bit) for .35 ohms
  • also tried a 0.2 ohm spaced coil (4 wraps around 3.0mm drill bit)
Atty: Plume Veil 2.5
Mod: 18650 Mech Mod (Copper Limitless Mod) or iPV3 Li mod box
Batteries : Sony VCT4s

I only have the Japanese cotton pads, but I've tried more cotton, less cotton, thicker wicks, thinner wicks, longer wicks, shorter wicks, tighter wicks, looser wicks, you name it, I've tried it! I've also tried playing with the height of the coils in relationship to the cyclop air holes on the Plume Veil and I didn't see much of a difference. There seems to be adequate air flow.

I've also inspected the coils for hot spots and cannot see any. Both coils usually heat up at the same time from the center out, and there are no hot leads or anything of the sort.

I've put the RDA on both the mech mod and the iPV3 Li, and I get BURNT hits right off the bat with both, except maybe with the box mod if I vape at lower wattages (around 35 watts or so), then it takes about 3 hits before I get the burnt hit, but any higher wattages and I get the burnt hit immediately on the first hit.

Hi LVixen. I don't have a Plume Veil but I believe it should be very capable of running a 40-60 watt build. It has three air flow options you can set to your liking. I would open up the bottom and side flows all the way and make sure you have the coils lined up with them both sideways and vertically.

I have a Mutation X RDA that I've been using 27 gauge Kanthal in for a while and last week I tried a 24 gauge build at 0.18 ohms that is working out very well for me at around 50 watts. I find if I use 24 G K with dual coils I need to keep the resistance down so I don't get long heat up time (high heat capacity). Heat up time from cold is about half a second, so just barely noticeable. It's 4/3 wraps on a 3mm pin. I just cleaned and rewicked it and took a few pics.

The air hole setting I'm using at 50 watts is good up to about 75 watts. The middle column of holes is about half open so I've got about half of all the holes open;
21kw1eh.jpg

The Sigelei reads it as 0.1 ohms, but it reads 0.18 on my meter. I was vaping it at 52 watts before I cleaned the coils. I have it at 47 watts after cleaning it;
1iek3t.jpg

Coils are centered;
30uu1pu.jpg

and high enough so I get air flow under them;
35c4x8x.jpg

I cut about a 0.2" wide strip of KGD and take off the thin outside compressed layer from both sides;
2a4sgv5.jpg

Insert the wicks. I like them on the snug side for cotton;
rbehid.jpg

Trim to rough length and fluff the cotton with a dental pick to comb out the fibers a bit. I start at the outsides and work my way toward the coil;
2u4myrp.jpg

Cut to final length;
14315jp.jpg

Slide the tails onto the deck;
xm1qic.jpg

And make sure there is a clear passage for air under the coils;
21en6v5.jpg

When I fire it up there is vapor pouring out from both sides of each coil like this;
308jh1j.jpg

Your 0.2 ohm build looks quite similar to mine, but I think you position your coils lower than I do. If that's true it really should not make that much difference, but the vape will be a bit harsher and not as flavorful and the RDA will heat up more.

If you don't have enough air flow for the power your RDA will heat up. That means the air holes must be open enough and you have to be taking lung hits fast enough to move enough air past the coils to get the heat out of there. The more power, the faster you need to take the drag. I just opened my air holes almost wide open, set the power to 100 watts and took three, 3 second hits. It was a hot vape but I got no burnt hits. I did make sure I had enough juice in there :)

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes :thumb:

LVixen

Verified Member
Jul 5, 2015
That build looks great, I can only guess why you're getting burnt hits.

Could you pull the wick and take a picture of it? The only thing I can think of is there is either a hotspot you aren't seeing or something is wrong with your juice.

You are running the airflow wide open?

I'm still playing with the watts but as soon as I'm done I'll take the wick out and take a pic. It doesn't look burnt at all. Also, I have about 9 juices here at home and have tried them all with the same burnt/dry hits so I don't think it's the juice...

For some reason it looks like both of the leads are in the 2 center posts. I cant imagine it would fire at all if that were the case so its all in my head.

As for the build, everything looks good to me. The wick looks like its wet enough, the wraps look tight enough. The only thing I've got left in my book of suggestions is build smaller coils with similar resistance. 1/16 drill bit works perfect for me every single time. I might even shoot for a 1 ohm build on a 1/16 drill bit, just to see if that helps.

LOL! No, I just happened to center the coil, but here you can see that I connected the lead to the left neg post. Sorry about the crappy pic.
image1.jpeg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I don't smoke and I don't vape with nicotine at all. I'm just in it for the clouds :D
Oh; ok.

Well if you are brand new to vaping maybe you should try out some 30 gauge 2 ohm or 28 gauge 1ohm, single coil.
Once you get going with a coil, you know what ballpark you're in.

Wicking can be finicky, but even so, you have to get the airflow right first.

LVixen

Verified Member
Jul 5, 2015
@Ryedan

Hi there! Thanks so much for the tutorial, I REALLY appreciate you guys trying to help me coz I really would like to be able to vape and haven't been able to do it properly at all :(

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. As far as air flow, I've always had it WIDE OPEN all over, no matter what build I have in there.

Also, I don't know if you saw the pics of previous builds that also didn't work for me, but some I definitely had positioned higher on the deck, but someone told me that sometimes max VG juices have a hard time traveling up the wick when the coil is a little higher, so I started to position them a bit lower.

I also noticed that we do several things in a similar way, such as removing the top and bottom layers of the KGD pad, fluffing the wick, and leaving plenty of room for airflow under the coil.

However, one big difference I noticed is the amount of vapor that your coils are producing in comparison to mine. Mine don't put out half as much as that! LOL! I guess it's because of the higher resistance and lower wattage I'm using??

What percentage VG juice are you using?

Also, I do have to try taking faster hits because I tend to take longer and slower lung hits, and I didn't know I should avoid that style of inhaling when using higher wattages. So THANKS for the tip!

I appreciate your time and help!:)

LVixen

Verified Member
Jul 5, 2015
Oh; ok.

Well if you are brand new to vaping maybe you should try out some 30 gauge 2 ohm or 28 gauge 1ohm, single coil.
Once you get going with a coil, you know what ballpark you're in.

Wicking can be finicky, but even so, you have to get the airflow right first.
Yes, I'm definitely going to be picking up some 28g kanthal and trying some higher resistance builds. Hopefully that makes a difference.

Thanks for your input!!

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia

That last build looked good.
How long are you pressing the fire button ?
Perhaps its still taking too long to produce the vapour and by the time you've got enough vapour the wick may be running out of juice.

Are you inhaling slowly as you press the button or pressing the button then waiting a while before inhaling ?
Sometimes you can inhale too fast if a coil with a lot of mass hasn't had enough time to produce the vapour. Also the vapour can feel harsh if you press the button and wait to long to vape. At least thats a couple of experiences I've had.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVixen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread