Vaping mint leaves from garden !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Przemix

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2021
Sup guys , I’m a big fan of menthol and peppermint , not too much on sweet side but just a touch of sweetness. I tried many capellas and Flavorah Menthols and peppermints and so far only flavorah caught my attention. So I was wondering if i make my flavorah naked menthol/ peppermint mix can I crush some raw 10 leaves from my garden and throw them in to my pg VG 50/50 mix while it’s mixing and shake them with my eliquid for 10 min and then take leaves out ? It will give me amazing aroma and stuff like u use it for drinks 1 leafe and u can smell it right away , I think same thing will be with e juice , what you think ? Is it safe ? Can I do it to get extra real organic garden nice mint smell in my juice ?
Thanks for reading .

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
I have used tobacco leaves in this way but the process included a sort of distillation. Cooking down the leaves in PG in a crockpot and then filtering the liquid before adding it to a juice.
I do not think what you are proposing is safe. Remember this will be going into your lungs. You cannot toss things into a mix and hope it is safe.

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
I do not think what you are proposing is safe. Remember this will be going into your lungs. You cannot toss things into a mix and hope it is safe.
I don't know about the science but I agree with @chanelvaps . Don't take a risk on this unless you have thoroughly researched it.

Przemix

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2021
I have used tobacco leaves in this way but the process included a sort of distillation. Cooking down the leaves in PG in a crockpot and then filtering the liquid before adding it to a juice.
But they do mint inhalation at steaming room or even at home for example back in Poland we boiled hot water with salt and mint in a pan and then inhale it deep to your lungs amd sickness was going away , mucus stopped forming on lungs and it was easier to breathe . So I thought vaping might be also medically beneficial, but…. I didn’t thought thru the high power of coil burning it and releasing other chemicals . So yeah :/ I think I’ll skip it .

Reactions: Falconeer

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
But they do mint inhalation at steaming room or even at home for example back in Poland we boiled hot water with salt and mint in a pan and then inhale it deep to your lungs amd sickness was going away , mucus stopped forming on lungs and it was easier to breathe . So I thought vaping might be also medically beneficial, but…. I didn’t thought thru the high power of coil burning it and releasing other chemicals . So yeah :/ I think I’ll skip it .

Skipping it seems like a good idea. No way to know what you would be inhaling.

I remember something similar from my childhood in England. It wasn't fresh mint though. Some kind of concentrated mint solution that came in a bottle. I would put my face over the pan and have a towel put over my head and around the pan. It wasn't fun but it sure does clear out your nasal passages.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.

I remember something similar from my childhood in England. It wasn't fresh mint though. Some kind of concentrated mint solution that came in a bottle. I would put my face over the pan and have a towel put over my head and around the pan. It wasn't fun but it sure does clear out your nasal passages.

Yes, as a kid in Scotland, in the 1950s when you got bronchitis ( which we did as everyone smoked and the world ran on coal ) your mother would nip down to the chemists and either get menthol crystals or some snake oil called "Friar's Balsam" dissolve them in hot water in a bowl and you'd sit inhaling it with a towel over your head - it did actually work!

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Out of curiosity, what would be the difference in macerating tobacco versus mint for flavor extraction?
as long as he filters it, it would be the same I guess. He is talking about just throwing some leaves in and then taking them out. I do not know anyone that does that with tobacco leaves. Maybe you do

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
So I was wondering if i make my flavorah naked menthol/ peppermint mix can I crush some raw 10 leaves from my garden and throw them in to my pg VG 50/50 mix while it’s mixing and shake them with my eliquid for 10 min and then take leaves out ? It will give me amazing aroma and stuff like u use it for drinks 1 leafe and u can smell it right away , I think same thing will be with e juice , what you think ? Is it safe ? Can I do it to get extra real organic garden nice mint smell in my juice ?

99.9999% of people do not have have the required, and very expensive, equipment necessary to extract the mint flavor from their garden variety plants. Professional flavorists have this equipment in their labs. If extracting from real organic plants they would be growing the finest plants.

You have zero clue how safe your plant is when it comes to extracting the mint only flavor. What nasty chemicals might be found in your plants? You wouldn't know. Your plants are not grown in an organic certified lab. How would you know you are getting "only" the desired compounds found in a mint flavor? You wouldn't. You would need to know what compounds constitute mint flavor.

Considering flavorists already know the exact compounds found in nearly every item known to man it would be better to continue searching for a "mint" flavor that suits you best. There are many mint flavors.

Have you tried FA Spearmint? It's said to be a very accurate mint flavor. Might be worth your time.

Worth reading...

When making a flavor, a flavorist always begins by going to the scientific literature and researching what chemicals nature uses to make the desired flavor. He then selects from the list of flavor components found in, say, real apples, generally simplifying natures list to eliminate those chemicals that make little contribution to taste or are not permitted owing to toxicity. (Nature has no restrictions on using toxic chemicals, whereas the flavorist does.) The flavorist then either chooses chemicals that are natural (isolated from nature as described above) or synthetic chemicals (made by people) to make the flavor.

So is there truly a difference between natural and artificial flavorings? Yes. Artificial flavorings are simpler in composition and potentially safer because only safety-tested components are utilized. Another difference between natural and artificial flavorings is cost.

The search for "natural" sources of chemicals often requires that a manufacturer go to great lengths to obtain a given chemical. Natural coconut flavorings, for example, depend on a chemical called massoya lactone. Massoya lactone comes from the bark of the Massoya tree, which grows in Malaysia. Collecting this natural chemical kills the tree because harvesters must remove the bark and extract it to obtain the lactone. Furthermore, the process is costly. This pure natural chemical is identical to the version made in an organic chemists laboratory, yet it is much more expensive than the synthetic alternative.

Consumers pay a lot for natural flavorings. But these are in fact no better in quality, nor are they safer, than their cost-effective artificial counterparts.

Last edited:

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015

I think Crocodile Dundee did something like that at an Art Gallery event... I don't believe it was mint though. [emoji2]

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Sup guys , I’m a big fan of menthol and peppermint , not too much on sweet side but just a touch of sweetness. I tried many capellas and Flavorah Menthols and peppermints and so far only flavorah caught my attention. So I was wondering if i make my flavorah naked menthol/ peppermint mix can I crush some raw 10 leaves from my garden and throw them in to my pg VG 50/50 mix while it’s mixing and shake them with my eliquid for 10 min and then take leaves out ? It will give me amazing aroma and stuff like u use it for drinks 1 leafe and u can smell it right away , I think same thing will be with e juice , what you think ? Is it safe ? Can I do it to get extra real organic garden nice mint smell in my juice ?
Thanks for reading .
The most I'd do with garden veg might be a quick and dirty version of the tobacco NET. Steep clean, rinsed leaves (whole or nearly so) in PG for a while (a month? no idea) then pull the leaf material and mix with the flavored pg. I don't want any plant material, or any solids/caramels/etc in my juice.
But then I don't NET etc, what do I know. [emoji57]

Plus, I completely agree with ShowMe's thorough explanation above. Basically... I wouldn't be doing it. [emoji2]

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I've been vaping TFA pepperpmint juice at 6% for a while now and like it. Best to stick with bought flavorings.

Plants contain many things that you probably should not be vaporizing and inhaling. For one thing, even though you wash your herbs, if you grow outside, you likely have insect secretions and frass on your herbs. Best leave your garden herbs for digestion, not inhalation. Some tiny insects lay such small eggs you can't really see them. Hell, there may even be a leaf miner inside your leaves and you may not see it.

From my years of gardening, I learned the hard way of how many insects you find in home grown herbs and vegetables that you never see unless you look VERY VERY close. I could write a book on it.

Przemix

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2021
    My goodness !!!! Such a informative feedback you guys gave me , thanks

As I read all your interesting comments….Im chewing on my delicious garden mint leaf whlle vaping my menthol ice peppermint flavorah juice mix ! Lol it taste freaking amazing !!! And smells so refreshing I don’t have words to describe lol. Now I’m gona smash few more leafs and shove them into my mochito drink with lemon!!!

cheers!!!!

• Winner
    Reactions: smacuser

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2015
    My goodness !!!! Such a informative feedback you guys gave me , thanks

As I read all your interesting comments….Im chewing on my delicious garden mint leaf whlle vaping my menthol ice peppermint flavorah juice mix ! Lol it taste freaking amazing !!! And smells so refreshing I don’t have words to describe lol. Now I’m gona smash few more leafs and shove them into my mochito drink with lemon!!!

cheers!!!!
    Well... that last version is the only one I'd go for but, to each their own. Cheers! [emoji2]

Reactions: Falconeer

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Doing it similar to NETs would work (but takes time and you have to filter it) I think people are overdoing the (it has to be 100% organic, no bugs, ect) thing BUT the real issue is mint (I assume you have spearmint) has oils in it... that would be bad (in general we never vape any oils even though some vape flavors do have some... most people avoid those) Also, as mentioned, there are plenty of good mint flavors available.

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    The most I'd do with garden veg might be a quick and dirty version of the tobacco NET. Steep clean, rinsed leaves (whole or nearly so) in PG for a while (a month? no idea) then pull the leaf material and mix with the flavored pg. I don't want any plant material, or any solids/caramels/etc in my juice.
    But then I don't NET etc, what do I know. [emoji57]

Plus, I completely agree with ShowMe's thorough explanation above. Basically... I wouldn't be doing it. [emoji2]
    ditto others on NETs process. I've done herbs, but dry them prior to maceration, to avoid both bad flavour and chlorophyll

Reactions: smacuser
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread