Vaping pg does not stop the flu

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Never had that much trouble with cold and sore throats---before and after..
Broncitus was a different matter----as a smoker, Advair and inhaler kept me breathing. As a vaporer, I no longer use Advair or the inhaler.
I can only use a little PG in my mix but didn't expect it to keep the flu bug away---that's why I got shots. Yeah, I got both flu shots.

searcher

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Bossier City, La
If I remember correctly, the flu shot is only about 70% effective and that's only if the flu doesn't mutate. PG may not stop all the viral infections but it certainly can't hurt. I haven't even got a sniffle this year and that's unusual for me (knock on wood). Here's what Google has Propylene Glycol influenza - Google Search , I sincerely hope you feel better soon. My brother caught a bad one earlier this season and he said his throat was so raw he couldn't vape (I'm not sure how much he vapes as opposed to smoking).

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
If I remember correctly, the flu shot is only about 70% effective and that's only if the flu doesn't mutate. PG may not stop all the viral infections but it certainly can't hurt. I haven't even got a sniffle this year and that's unusual for me (knock on wood). Here's what Google has Propylene Glycol influenza - Google Search , I sincerely hope you feel better soon. My brother caught a bad one earlier this season and he said his throat was so raw he couldn't vape (I'm not sure how much he vapes as opposed to smoking).

I would agree with this logic.

Sun

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
The problem is that the amounts we vape are to small to have a germicidal effect except MAYBE if it is confined in a small space. In the studies in the 40s they were pumping PG through the ventilation systems, distributing it throughout the atmosphere in greater quantities than any of us are exhaling. The PG acted on pathogens in the atmosphere before they were inhaled by people. Our little PVs don't put that much PG into the atmosphere, and I haven't seen any studies suggesting it would have a germicidal effect in our bodies.

And I had a bad flu the other week, too, so it sure didn't work for me, either. ;)

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
I use to get a sinus and/or upper respiratory infection every fall and every spring - during the season change here in the Midwest. Since I started vaping over 6 months ago, I've avoided all of it (touch wood).

It may be that I've also changed other habits - drinking more water, not standing in sub-zero weather to smoke, etc... - but I still feel like the vapor itself has helped in some small way. Maybe just the fact that it is much more moist than the ol' analog smoke.

Whatever the real reason, I personally feel healthier now than I did as a smoker.

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Earlier this year, I worked in an office and EVERYONE was sick with a cold at one point or another, except ME! Even the people in the cubicles next to me, both sick as dogs, but I didn't get anything. Everytime I heard a cough or sneeze, I vaped. It could just be luck, but in the back of my mind I still think the PG vapour did help.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
Before I started vaping I was getting bronchitis every couple of month but now that I vape instead of smoking I have not had bronchitis once in the last 8 months. My doctor is amazed. I have terrible lungs with COPD and a couple of years ago I was on a ventilator for 11 days with pneumoia with several other complications. The doctors didn't think I would live.After 3 weeks in the hospital and not smoking as soon as I was released I stopped and bought a pack of cigarettes. How stupid was that. Since I started vaping I can actually breathe again and have completely quit coughing. My family is amazed. They are still concerned about the effects of ecigs. I can't believe they still question me about the dangers of ecigs when they can see how much better I am. Some people you can't satisfy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread