Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
If you're looking for excuses to continue smoking, you'll always find them. That particular article is about a presentation of a preliminary study presented at a conference, no actual results are known, and their suggested possible conclusions go against thousands of anecdotal accounts.

Is it possible that vaping does something that we're unaware of? Yes. Does that mean that smoking cigarettes is safer? Seriously? If you have to ask that after 2 and a half years of being a member of this forum, perhaps vaping isn't for you.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
If you're looking for excuses to continue smoking, you'll always find them. That particular article is about a presentation of a preliminary study presented at a conference, no actual results are known, and their suggested possible conclusions go against thousands of anecdotal accounts.

Is it possible that vaping does something that we're unaware of? Yes. Does that mean that smoking cigarettes is safer? Seriously? If you have to ask that after 2 and a half years of being a member of this forum, perhaps vaping isn't for you.

I am not making any judgement one way or another, but I am not going to dismiss the article either. I happen to think vaping and smoking are both harmful. Whether one is less harmful than the other is a minor point.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I am not making any judgement one way or another, but I am not going to dismiss the article either. I happen to think vaping and smoking are both harmful. Whether one is less harmful than the other is a minor point.
Can you name one thing that is not harmful to some degree? The AMOUNT of harm is not a minor point, it is the key to how humans live their lives.

I'm not dismissing the preliminary findings either, just pointing out that they are just that. There are better articles about this conference presentation, a few of them are already being discussed here:
Vaping and the immune system?

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California

Disbelieve every article you read...... At least until you are convinced beyond serious question what is right or wrong, harmful or Safe. Flying is safer than driving... Until, a crash.
Smoking in the US is safer than breathing in some cities in China. It's a good reson not to live there, not a good reason to smoke.

Reactions: EBates

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Thanks for the link - a very useful one.

To be sure life is filled with risks, but adding new ones, or dismissing them will at some point catch up. The majority of us have no choice but eat non-organic food laced with hormones/fertalizers and harmful additives, but we do have a choice whether we smoke or vape.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

To be sure life is filled with risks, but adding new ones, or dismissing them will at some point catch up. The majority of us have no choice but eat non-organic food laced with hormones/fertalizers and harmful additives, but we do have a choice whether we smoke or vape.
And something in this article makes you question which of those two is safer?

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
I'll dismiss the article and never give it another thought. It's about a bogus "study" designed to reach a desired conclusion that doesn't prove anything other than the opinion of the "researcher"

In my world, there are much more serious issues - like which movie or TV shows to watch tonight - that need my attention. :2cool:

Flawedatdesign

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
I'll continue to vape as those studies are all geared toward what the Government wants so they can keep the funding for doing so. This phrase right here is the one I found interesting.

"Animal studies also found that alternative tobacco products without nicotine produced similar or stronger effects than products that include nicotine."

LOL they have produced Vaping Rats :) Where can I get one?????

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Where are the reports of doctors treating illnesses caused by using ecigs? Could vaping have contributed to someone's illness? Sure. But those instance, if they have occured, are so rare the public health people aren't able to detect any trend in the population. There are 10's of millions of vapers in the world, a grand experiment as we speak. So far that ultimate experiment seems to be going in favor of vaping.

If you proved to me that quitting smoking at my age and time of life would not effect my life expectancy I would still vape instead of smoke because vaping is a superior experience and it's free for practical purposes. I like feeling better and saving all that money.

Since I stopped smoking 16 months ago I have smoked a couple of cigarettes. I didn't enjoy them and didn't expect to. The reason I did it was to prove to a smoker, starting to vape, that I am so free of cigarettes I can smoke one and not relapse. That is a far better place to be than merely quitting smoking and fearing a relapse from then on. I'm not recommending that other people play with cigarettes this way but it's a powerful demonstration when you're trying to persuade somebody that learning to vape can have a big payoff. May be it also proves that vaping really is a better experience than smoking.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
My dear sir,

As for vaping v. smoking, my health has improved vastly since I gave up smoking for vaping. I had serious health problems from smoking, including Peripheral Arterial Disease, (PAD). I could not walk more than 100 ft. without my legs painfully cramping up, I had terrible leg pains at night and could not sleep, and I was constantly coughing up disgusting gunk. I had poor lung function, little sense of taste or smell, and low energy.

I wanted off the cigarettes bad, and it was when I got my very first taste of vaping that I got free of them. Someone had given me a cheap e-cig from the local flea market, and I tried it. As vapes go it really sucked, but while it worked I didn't need to smoke. I got better and better equipment and was finally done with smoking. My health improved greatly. The symptoms of PAD have gone away, I breathe so much better now, and I feel so much better!

If you are going to listen to the anti-vaping bunch please do appreciate that they just plain hate vaping because to them it "looks" like smoking, and they hate smoking with a passion. Truth be told they pretty much hate seeing anyone enjoy anything and will go right after them to no end, because they are puritanical control-freaks in the first place. They are really not very happy people, and they don't want you being happy either. It's that that most offends them.

They are miserable in their own skin, and want you to share that with them.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere

You can choose to neither smoke nor vape if you desire.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Let me sum up my comments from the other thread discussing this same presentation.

This was a presentation at a symposium. There is, as of yet, no published study to go along with these findings. Without a published study, we have no way of truly determining what was found, or how it was found. We don't even have a complete record of what the author believes the findings imply. They noticed that genes were suppressed, but no mention of which specific genes, or what that suppression effectively does, if anything, or for how long.

There was another presentation at this same symposium that discussed the results of a preliminary trial of a cancer treatment. I heard three different interviewers touting it as a "cancer cure," and then in all three interviews, the researcher explaining that preliminary findings with a population of 30 patients did not spell a cure, even if it is promising.

A single study is not fact. A press release of a preliminary study, even less so.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I happen to think vaping and smoking are both harmful. Whether one is less harmful than the other is a minor point.

I have to disagree with this statement.

You are certainly more than welcome to research the facts and develop your own conclusions, I would highly recommend that, but even if vaping is proven one day to be harmful (which it has not), the degree of harm from each source is not a minor point, it is THE point. It's called tobacco harm reduction for a reason.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Many of us get defensive when someone questions our addiction. You are no exception....
    I don't have an addiction, so I guess I am an exception.
    As Robert said, you can choose to neither smoke nor vape if you desire.
    Your words: "Nothing in this article tells me that Vaping is the safer alternative. In fact it seems to point the other way. Am I misreading it?"
    If you believe everything in this article is true, than you need to do what is best for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread