Status
Not open for further replies.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Let me get this straight. They don't want a person to smoke Prior and Post-surgery because the nicotine hinders the healing. However, they will give you nicotine patches as a replacement for smoking during that time frame. Color me confused.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
^ You guys are right, and what you are hitting on is the great divide when it comes to knowledge in the medical industry with respect to nicotine, vaping, and human health. There is still so much misinformation about nicotine, even among researchers, educators and health professionals. (@Diver9543 & @Tabac man)

And of course the dearth of replicated, properly designed research on vapor inhalation is still a big problem. Another issue is that the science we do have is largely ignored. And add in the influence of pharmaceutical companies and big tobacco money corrupting the entire landscape. Sadly, it will be years before we have the answers. And as I mentioned, asking my doc wasn't in the least bit helpful.

But I've found this thread to be interesting... please chime in and tell your story if you had a surgical procedure and vaped zero nic before and after!

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Let me get this straight. They don't want a person to smoke Prior and Post-surgery because the nicotine hinders the healing. However, they will give you nicotine patches as a replacement for smoking during that time frame. Color me confused.
No a doctor will not give you a nicotine replacement during that time. When I had my neck surgery and when my wife had her surgery recently the doctors in both cases said no nicotine for a period of time to include ANY nicotine replacements.
I did still vape 0nic. I wasn't told not to vape. I was told no nicotine.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
An anaesthetist friend told me that they are always very concerned about lung function when patients are "under" and also often partly "paralysed" to reduce involuntary movement. So a history of smoking and all that brings to the lungs is an important issue. I guess some will, for safety, equate vaping with smoking for those reasons alone.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I didn't recognize your name but recognized your avatar. I'm a retired surgical assistant and RN. I think you should be fine using 0 nic. Surgeons don't like nic because its a vasoconstrictor so tissues may not get the oxygen needed for proper healing. Most critical for bone and plastic reconstructive surgery.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I had robotic assisted prostate surgery a year ago. Medical people are said to be the worst patients. I didn't change my vaping habits at all before or after surgery, even vaping in my hospital bathroom with the curtain pulled closed. I was totally open about my vaping with my anesthesiologist, he was cool with it. Of course, I didn't have bone or plastic reconstructve surgery, either. That would have been a different story.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I had robotic assisted prostate surgery a year ago. Medical people are said to be the worst patients. I didn't change my vaping habits at all before or after surgery, even vaping in my hospital bathroom with the curtain pulled closed. I was totally open about my vaping with my anesthesiologist, he was cool with it. Of course, I didn't have bone or plastic reconstructve surgery, either. That would have been a different story.
I bet that was a PITA. Now that's funny right there. Glad you're ok now.

• Love
Reactions: Baditude

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
For a couple of minor bcc removal procedures, the advice was to stay off nicotine for 4 - 5 days after the procedure, for the initial healing.

It made sense to me, I mixed up a batch of my all day vape with zero nic.

My understanding is that nic is a vasoconstrictor, and you want good blood flow for healing.

After 5 days I went back to vaping my nic eliquid (3 mg at that time, though now I'm at 2).

Nothing being quite that easy, I actually had 3 bcc, so it was nic-nonic-nic... Over a 6 week period [emoji3]

The biggest thing I missed is that my daily workouts were also AMA for 5 days after each procedure.

Always ask your doctor, but it's fair to ask questions - being an informed patient is a good thing.

Good luck!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I didn't recognize your name but recognized your avatar. I'm a retired surgical assistant and RN. I think you should be fine using 0 nic. Surgeons don't like nic because its a vasoconstrictor so tissues may not get the oxygen needed for proper healing. Most critical for bone and plastic reconstructive surgery.

Baditude, your thoughts on this are the same as what I came to believe before my surgery from the research I did then.

My wife had gastrointestinal surgery about 4 years ago. I went to the pre-op meeting with the medical folks with her. They said don't smoke before and after. I was curious to see what they thought about vaping. I explained that my wife doesn't vape but I do and was interested in their opinion about it. They got back to me later and said that vaping with nic was OK. If it had been me in her situation, from what I learned about this later, I would have done the same as I did for my bone operation which was to eliminate nic for a while before and after.

I don't think there is any data out there concerning vaping nic, or zero nic, and surgery. The best we seem to have is the feeling that nic is likely a negative factor, and nothing known about pg, vg and flavorings.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I am not a doctor nor did I play one on TV so do not mistake this story as advice. My wife had to have hip surgery (bursectomy) which was done as an outpatient procedure. Even though she was a smoker the Dr. never mentioned anything about not smoking. She smoked right before going in for the surgery and lit up as soon as she was released several hours later. She did not have any complications or issues healing.

The same went for when she had her gall bladder removed a few years ago although this time she was vaping. She vaped right up to the door of the surgery center and vaped immediately on release.

This past Christmas, she broke her big toe. Again, the doctor never mentioned needing to quit nicotine in order to promote healing.

In fact the ONLY time she was ever told to not smoke or vape (or use straws) was after oral surgery and this was to prevent getting a "dry socket" which is extremely painful.

I am not saying that quitting nicotine is not a good idea. I am just saying this is the first I have heard about it and using nicotine definitely doesn't prevent healing.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude
I don't know too much about quitting nicotine etc because of a surgery, but I do know that quitting vaping entirely is actually not difficult.
I couldn't quit smoking cigarettes for even 1 day for over 22 years, but when I started vaping for a while and decided to quit vaping entirely, I was able to quit for over 6 months, and it was easy to quit vaping (I was on 3mg nic before quitting), and that's when I realized that there is more to cigarette addiction than just the Nicotine.
Of course I started vaping again eventually, but I know I can quit it if needed. I've quit vaping twice, both times for over 6 months each time. I just eventually get so bored of just sitting around that I end up vaping again.
But my advice is simply, quit vaping entirely for a while, it really is easier than you'd expect.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Great information - appreciate it! Good to see you as well :)

I think I'm really OK without the nicotine - for me, it's the inhale-exhale component that I crave (what a strange addiction!). However today I vaped zero nic, plain VG for a few minutes with a glass of wine after dinner, and decided I'm not a fan of the flavor. It has kind of a sweet-ish, "oily" flavor (best way I can describe it) and well... yuck. Maybe mine is old and I'll do better if I buy a fresh batch. There's also an odd sensation afterward - like my lungs are lightly coated in goop. I suppose if I added a little zero nic PG, it might help?

Anyone else do a no-flavor, no-nic vape combo before and after surgery?

A couple things. No surgery experience (going through that now, although my doctor simply asked for me not to vape after midnight prior to surgery the day of)

But I went zero nicotine for a year and a half. If you decide to do that, just know that nicotine changes the flavor of the juice.

I had to reformulate my DIY recipes and change up all the flavoring levels because of the simple no nicotine change..

You can use PG for throat hit, but you'll get less throat hit than PG and nicotine together. If I were you I'd change to (at least) 50% PG, because heavy VG is heavier in your lungs, and vape less (skip sub ohming for a bit in favor of using lower wattage, lower consumption devices if you can).

But I see no issue doing zero nicotine with some mild reformulation....but I'm not a doctor nor do I pretend to be.. lol

I'm like you with the hand to mouth issue..

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'm going in for hernia surgery soon. I'll cut back, but not totally giving up my nic (right now I like 12mg but just do MTL) I make my own so will mix some 6mg (unflavoered so I can stealth vape if needed) Just being honest folks. I had surgery years ago and smoke a lot... healed fine but it was a very simple "fatty tumor" removal (just under my skin) If this was bone and/or more complicated surgery I would vape 0 nic.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Smoking also affects lung function, especially if general anesthesia is required. Vaping not so much if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread