Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I was just a freak thing inside my house on carpeting no less! It happened on Oct 7th and had surgery the next day. It’s been one of the worst experiences health wise in my life. The pain was excruciating and I’m still not anywhere near fully recovered. I’m in pain every day. I’ve just started outpatient physical therapy too.

I’m in my mid 50s and the idea of possibly breaking my hip never entered my mind. So my advice especially to women is make sure to do balance exercises (lots on YouTube) and have your bone density checked.

You fit the statistics on how accidents happen, usually just in the home and such, my brother just almost broke his ankle tripping over a throw rug. And yes, I agree with the balance exercises ...... super helpful! And bone density tests.

Hope you heal up and get back to normal soon.

Reactions: bnrkwest

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
All that aside, it seems that once you’ve had pneumonia, your lungs no longer respond the same way to inhalation of vapor, no matter how smooth / airy / low nic.

One of my coworkers had pneumonia, she wasn't an ex smoker or vaper. It took her 6 months to even get her energy back, let alone her lung function.
Really, you've been thru an awful lot.......give yourself credit but also, TIME.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Excellent post. You are absolutely correct about pneumonia, but I wasn't in a hospital. Went to an outpatient facility and was released to go home shortly after surgery. It's possible that I aspirated while under anesthesia... or... the pre-surgery vaping was a mistake. No one will be able to answer the question as to why I got pneumonia.

You are also right on the button with regard to the THC cartridge fiasco - it was used by big tobacco interests to vilify vaping very effectively. Heartbreaking.

I will absolutely give it more time (back to my own personal dilemma)... I wonder how much? I'm OK having a drink now, but inhaling is still resulting in relapse, lung-wise.

*Waves at Vwls* I remember you! Glad to hear you're recovering, if slowly from the pneumonia. As far as your lungs, give it some more time. Hubby is neither a smoker nor a vaper, and got it around this time last year. It was April before he really started felt like himself again.

BTW, hospital acquired pneumonia (HAP) is the second most common infection to originate in the hospital setting, the first being urinary tract infections. Most HAPs pop up 48 to 72 hours after being admitted which means there's a pretty good possibility that you got it from the hospital, not as a side effect of vaping.

As far as studies talking about vaping being hard on your lungs, although I haven't been keeping up like I used to, the only one I remember seeing is the recent drivel by Glantz. And remember, this is the same guy whose "vaping causes heart attacks" study included people who started vaping after they had their heart attack.

Oh, and those 11% who swore they had only vaped nicotine? Most tested positive for THC, some were misdiagnosed. Here's a sample study done on 51 patients from 19 states:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1916433

And though not relevant for you now, here's a recent write up about a large scale study on surgery patients and NRTs: Nicotine Replacement Therapy Does Not Drive Post Surgery Risks

Reactions: stols001

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
One of my coworkers had pneumonia, she wasn't an ex smoker or vaper. It took her 6 months to even get her energy back, let alone her lung function.
Really, you've been thru an awful lot.......give yourself credit but also, TIME.

Six months! Wow. Well, maybe that's the ticket.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
You fit the statistics on how accidents happen, usually just in the home and such, my brother just almost broke his ankle tripping over a throw rug. And yes, I agree with the balance exercises ...... super helpful! And bone density tests.

Hope you heal up and get back to normal soon.

Thanks I appreciate it. It’s been incredibly sucky. I feel ive hit a wall in my recovery. Can’t wait to start outpatient physical therapy. The holidays made getting an appointment difficult until after them.

Good thing your brother was ok. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone friend or foe.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I had pneumonia for 18 months before I finally gave up and returned to vaping. I was trying to use 12 mg (seemed low rite?) in a really DL setup. Heh. That was my first post.... "I feel really weird should I up my nic?"

Thank goodness for ECF I was hastily directed to some MTL setups. I don't think I could have switched, otherwise. I pretty much chain vaped at first. Now that I'm working, I do not vape (EVER) for 9 hours a day because I don't want my work to know I vape. I'm no hero, I use snus which works great.

My lungs have recovered a TON. I did get my first pneumonia after like, 4 years? It was HORRIBLE. I have no idea how I COPED with that, for 18 months. I did recover, probably more slowly than I might have.

It took a laryngial cancer scare, as well as the threat of an oxygen tank and the "dreaded diagnosis."

However, I inhale. I can't handle warm vapor at all though, I vape at very low wattages.

I hope things go well.

I will add, I had 24 teeth removed and bones shaved and I smoked like 10 minutes before the surgery, and my husband rigged me up a nose smoking drill for afterwards. I healed up just fine, really no longer or shorter than anyone else, I just had to get used to dentures (long story) but I was definitely not helping myself with the healing porcess other than I knew there was NO WAY I was gonna be able to stop with that amount of pain.

All docs are different, but there really are studies showing nicotine affects surgery and healing etc.

I have no clue what I would do in that situation, honeslty. I seem to be a quick-ish healer.

Anna

Reactions: bnrkwest

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Just going to say my wife is on oxygen. In and out of intensive care. She was in hospital and nurse was making her bed and found her vape. The surgeon happened to walk in and she said to him "she is vaping in here." Surgeon said "She is not smoking so be quiet about it." Very sheepessly she said "ok."

Strongstrong

Dec 30, 2019
My mate had pneumonia and it coincided with his interest to vaping. I don't believe, that his illness was connected with vaping at all. Anyway, when he returned at home, he decided that the only reason of his pneumonia was vape and became obsessed with this idea. He started avoid of everything, connected with sigarets or vape. He even asked me to help him choose an air purifier from some list from the internet. He became like a mad one about air around him.
I decided to tell you this stry and hope, you won't go in cycles with your problem thoughts.

figment_oyi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
Tx
Having surgery on my spinal column stimulator Wednesday..I vape 3 mg which I think you get very little nic from.. Anyway over the holidays I saw my sister, she said your doctor will require that you stop that before surgery..I laughed and said no never has, nor has he mentioned it..She went on and on about how when she had surgery in early 2019 she had to submit to a nicotine screening test prior to surgery like right before..I had never heard of such a thing as far as them making you submit to a test on arrival and if nicotine was found they would refuse your surgery. She was a nicorette gum person and I know you get way more nicotine that way, even when I smoked 1.5 packs a day 1 piece of gum buzzed me. I have had several back surgeries over the last 21 years, smoked during first 10..I know if your having something where you are under general for a long time such as a transplant, even being an ex smoker makes it difficult for them to get you off the vent.. I think there is much to learn in this area. Just not sure if minimal nicotine has that big of an effect..sorry for going on and on..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread