Vaporesso Podstick USB malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
But ok in this case of these pods i am pretty sure the over charging protecrion cirquit failed or something....even cheap modern devices nowdays have some sort of protection or thermistors build into the batteries if they are internal....it just hat manufacturers either push the thermals to charge faster sooo people wont complain
...or the electonics fail....or batteries in most cases fail cause of outside temps or whatever ....we just need be carefull not to burn our houses or ourselfs :D

• Agree
Reactions: Plantsmantx

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I once had a USB TC card for my PC so I could hook the TV cable to my PC and watch TV. It had short USB cable with a really thick wire. I lost that USB cable and grabbed a regular one out of my stash of many and after using it for about a half hour the cable was melting.

Ouchhh!!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Plantsmantx

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2018
But ok in this case of these pods i am pretty sure the over charging protecrion cirquit failed or something....even cheap modern devices nowdays have some sort of protection or thermistors build into the batteries if they are internal....it just hat manufacturers either push the thermals to charge faster sooo people wont complain
...or the electonics fail....or batteries in most cases fail cause of outside temps or whatever ....we just need be carefull not to burn our houses or ourselfs :D

That's the truth:evil:.

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
I do not know how to explain because I am not a electronic guru. But you can imagine, you pull the throttle to make your motorcycle run at 120 Km/hour after that you pull the brake to slow it down to 60 Km/h but you don't release the throttle. Is your brake will be so hot?
You provide 2.5A charging current, nearly 3C, so the charging circuit board must be reduce the current to 1A to make your battery safe.
The circuit board will very hot and the battery will too. You see, the room that contain all the components is so small and the heat will damage your device soon.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I do not know how to explain because I am not a electronic guru. But you can imagine, you pull the throttle to make your motorcycle run at 120 Km/hour after that you pull the brake to slow it down to 60 Km/h but you don't release the throttle. Is your brake will be so hot?
    You provide 2.5A charging current, nearly 3C, so the charging circuit board must be reduce the current to 1A to make your battery safe.
    The circuit board will very hot and the battery will too. You see, the room that contain all the components is so small and the heat will damage your device soon.

But as I understand it, amps are taken, not given. The charger's rated amp output is the max it will give. Bu the device will only take what it needs. If a 1 amp device request more than 1 amp, is it not faulty?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Oops. I mean TV Card, not TC card lololol

Its ok it made sence... :p i

Yes you are right but failing to resist the higher current is still ofc a bad build quality of the chargning controller cirquit and especially in vape devices that they never ship with chargers inside... But ok ...they always say in manuals to never charge unattended :p hahaha

Reactions: dangkhoa02106

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    But as I understand it, amps are taken, not given. The charger's rated amp output is the max it will give. Bu the device will only take what it needs. If a 1 amp device request more than 1 amp, is it not faulty?

There are 2 types of charging controllers as far as I know at anyways.....and long story short let's say one works with resistors and that means that take all the "heat" to try limit the current but if they should be good quality and seems many cases they are not ....another type of charging controller uses a tiny DC to DC converter more sophisticated but still if it's not made with quality materials then can fail....it's a little complicated but yes as u say the charger don't give current...the device draws it and that's why if u remove the cable from.the charger and have hooked up a current metter u will see zero current

My english sukkkk anyways hope u understand what u try to say hahha

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Thank you to let me know that I wrong.
    So the problem is there is something wrong with the resistance of the circuit board. This problem will made the circuit board draw too much current from the charger. Am I right?

Since manufacturer don't say in manual to warn you how to charge it then yes...it should draw the power it needs....if I have a device with internal battery I always use a charger with lower amps than the manufacturer say it charges just to make sure there is not much heat and also help battery live longer :p.....ofc that depends the device

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    Here, let me Google that for you... Looks like 1.5A is the max a USB 3.0 device should output to be within spec.
    Screenshot_20201006-040843_Chrome.png

• Informative
    Reactions: Plantsmantx

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Here, let me Google that for you... Looks like 1.5A is the max a USB 3.0 device should output to be within spec.
    View attachment 910755

It can go up to 3amps as u see it shows there is 2 types of USB 3 it's also the USB 3 (bc 1.2) that can charge up to 3amps and there is the usb4 or type c that go up to 5amps....my gen for example use micro USB 3.0 (bc 1.2) to charge 2.5amps

P.s. I didnt knew it was called bc1.2 just knew that newer USB 3 can go up to 3amps...and I think that stuff showed up cause of smartphones the last years

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    It can go up to 3amps as u see it shows there is 2 types of USB 3 it's also the USB 3 (bc 1.2) that can charge up to 3amps and there is the usb4 or type c that go up to 5amps....my gen for example use micro USB 3.0 (bc 1.2) to charge 2.5amps

P.s. I didnt knew it was called bc1.2 just knew that newer USB 3 can go up to 3amps...and I think that stuff showed up cause of smartphones the last years
    True. QC chargers can do interesting things, like charge at 9 and 12v also, and usb-c is a completely different plug, but the standard standard says 1.5a @ 5v for USB.

Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    True. QC chargers can do interesting things, like charge at 9 and 12v also, and usb-c is a completely different plug, but the standard standard says 1.5a @ 5v for USB.

Qc is qualcomms charging tech...but we talk about the USB protocol and ports....I mean yes as u say USB 3.0 was 1.5amps but since few years ago I don't remember ....there was an angreement to what USB protocol to be used by manufacturers and anyways it is a bit confusing but the thing is that they agreed to use usb3.0 protocol 1.2 or something like that it's called and since then all devices with USB 3 use that and that means up to 3amps but ofc the manufacturer can limit the charging to whatever amount he wants for the battery they are using....Soo I mean yes you are right but keep in mind 1.5amp is the old USB 3.0....its a mess with ports really ot just USB but many other......many versions hahahah anyways ksbdisbdiabdiandidbisfhaidbaifbsj :laugh:

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    So, let it is easy to understand, maybe the IC that control charging on the device doesn't regulate the input in the right way. Am I right?

Yes I guess or it just poor quality materials that fail cause of extrended heat or whatever ....I am not expert just repair phones and electronic devices in my free time....didn't studied that tho....

Reactions: HigherStateD

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I wouldn't expect a pod of any kind that didn't say dna go to adhear to the latest standards unless specifically stated

This standard it's like 10years ago or something I think....I guess in the end it's all about the thickness of pins or materials used....cause the number of cables didn't change...anyways fak cables hahahahaha yeah a pod don't need more than 1.5amps anyways and since most are made in China u never know :p

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread