Variations in cartomizer quality, from the same vendor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aloysius

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Just wanted to post and see if anyone had any thoughts. I've had my SmokeTip kit for a couple months now and have ordered lots of pre-filled cartomizers from them. I've noticed that some of them work really well, and others seem to just not give up much vapor and dry out quickly. The good ones are all Regular flavor 16mg; other flavors I've tried -- Regular 6mg, Marlboro 16mg, Coffee 16mg, Coffee 0mg, Almond 6mg, all seem to be rather... lacking... in the vapor department. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? Is it possible they just dry out in storage? I imagine the pre-filled ones of less popular flavors sit around for a while, and I'm guessing the Regular 16 are "popular" so they would move a lot faster. I have recently begun refilling carts, and the good cartos remain good -- assuming I haven't burnt them (something I did a lot when I was complete newb). The substandard ones never seem to work too well no matter how wet I get them. I'm also thinking of giving up on prefilled ones entirely and trying blanks or fluxomizers. The SmokeTip is an 808 kit... Comments, suggestions, thoughts?

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I assume they're like most of the prefilled carts that are made in China (not that there's anything wrong with that :laugh:) But you never know how long they're sitting around or sitting in a factory. You could contact their customer service about them.

It is possible to get some DOA cartos. It happens everywhere. My mom got a few from V4L and they were good about it.

You can get blank cartos for the Smoke tip. Vapor 4 Life, Ikenvape, lots of vendors carry blank or prefilled cartos for a KR808. I'm not sure if you can use a Fluxomizer on the smoke Tip. You're sort of limited by the battery. Also, filling your own cartos, be careful not to leak juice onto the battery. It could short out the battery and probably void you battery warranty.

Aloysius

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Also, I am planning to slowly replace my batteries with sealed manual ones, since I found out I prefer button activation to the automatics. I have one "mega" 808 from VaporKings, and I just ordered another one because the first seems to have much better life than the SmokeTip brand batteries (even the long SmokeTip one I got at the same time).

Last edited:

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Well, to me and I'm not a super expert or anything but I think the Smoke Tip had a pretty hard draw. Have you noticed that? It's a good product, good warranty but for someone who smoked a lot it wouldn't suit my needs. I didn't own one, my mom did and she mostly quit smoking using it and she smoked for close to 60 years. So I don't have anything bad to say about them at all. Plus, she liked the prefilled cartos from them. They weren't strong enough so I ordered her prefilled cartos from V4L. She also got a kit from them, then a Riva and now she's looking for something bigger. I created a monster!

I don't know if your looking to try a new pv or just to get something to work with your SmokeTip.

If your looking for something with a bigger battery that will hold more juice, you could try something like the Riva or an Ego type PV. That's what I use and love. They are different than what you're currently using. If your married to the idea of a mini with automatic batteries, the ego isn't it. They're fatter, more like a sharpie and have a manual battery. You do get a better vape with manual batteries and no worries about damaging the battery.

Doorknob

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2011
41.2411° N, 77.0014° W
Swedishfish and a couple others pointed me to the Riva, and I am glad I took the advice. I was using Bloogs mainly which are good for what they are but the battery life I didn't care for. I still use the Bloog for work though. By using an adapter I can use all the KR808 cartos on the Riva, and it is actually my preferred method to vape, but with the Riva batteries I have a whole range of options. I am now also thinking of trying Fluxomizers or dual coils which should be easy with the Riva.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
The draw is fine for me on the SmokeTip. Not attached to cig-style at all. I do have a bazillion kr808 cartos laying around so I'm pretty much stuck with that connector type. :) I guess I could get an adapter.

My mom didn't have any problems either. Me, I had so suck my brains out.

I was looking for info regarding the KR808 and fluxomizer and came across this post. According the the post you can use an echo cartomizer on a V4L battery. I agree, it probably will look funny, the echo carto is pretty big but it will hold a ton of juice!

Here's the thread
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...i-put-tank-kr808-v4l-battery.html#post3347398

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Swedishfish and a couple others pointed me to the Riva, and I am glad I took the advice. I was using Bloogs mainly which are good for what they are but the battery life I didn't care for. I still use the Bloog for work though. By using an adapter I can use all the KR808 cartos on the Riva, and it is actually my preferred method to vape, but with the Riva batteries I have a whole range of options. I am now also thinking of trying Fluxomizers or dual coils which should be easy with the Riva.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Riva. You get a great vape and it's pretty inexpensive, $29.99 at Liberty Flights.

Noodoggy

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Orlando, FL
I just ordered this kit for myself from MadVapes. It comes with dual coil cartos that hold 5 ml of juice. You can use clear dual coil cartos on this if you wanted to see how much juice you have. I know nothing about fluxomizers so I can't help you with that.

MadVapes 510 Ego Mega Dual Coil Cartomizer Kit

please let us know how you like the 5ml mega dual coil cartos...i'd be interested in that...that's an all day vape for me lol

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Also, I am planning to slowly replace my batteries with sealed manual ones, since I found out I prefer button activation to the automatics. I have one "mega" 808 from VaporKings, and I just ordered another one because the first seems to have much better life than the SmokeTip brand batteries (even the long SmokeTip one I got at the same time).

Check the bargain bin at Madvapes and see if you can get any use from that batt with an adapter.

Sounds like you might be ready to start looking at a mod. My e-power is a honkin big ego looking thing that may be to big to suit a lot of people, but when I consider that a good replacement battery for it runs about 6.50, I'm happy. Also, several of the mods are fairly small, and they will run about anything you want to try.

If you want to stick with conventional e-cig type batteries, the kgo (slb ego) 1100mah batts have a couple of good reviews for holding their voltage well.

Ralikar

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
DUMP CRAPPY SMOKETIP! I started with them and their cartos have crappy quality--some empty, some fine, some light. After spending $500 in product they sent me 40 cartos, 30 of which were empty and would not rectify the matter. Their cartos are the worst and most poorly qced ever. When I complained they told me I shouldn't have opened all the cartos and that maybe I smoked them all really fast. DUMP SMOKETIP!

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
A bigger battery will always out perform, as batteries drop in voltage as their power is used up. Difference between half a shot glass of power vs half a big gulp. A manual battery will also help as you can hit the button one or two seconds BEFORE you start drawing, a little pre-heating goes a long way to a good vape. :)

p.s. welcome to ECF !!! :blush:

Aloysius

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
DUMP CRAPPY SMOKETIP! I started with them and their cartos have crappy quality--some empty, some fine, some light. After spending $500 in product they sent me 40 cartos, 30 of which were empty and would not rectify the matter. Their cartos are the worst and most poorly qced ever. When I complained they told me I shouldn't have opened all the cartos and that maybe I smoked them all really fast. DUMP SMOKETIP!

Personally, I don't think they're the worst product out there. Their lifetime battery warranty is pretty awesome; I have returned two and gotten replacements within a week with no questions asked. However, I'm ready to move on to bigger better things; and I agree their carto quality is pretty spotty. I went through all my used ones today and tossed the ones that just don't work right (over half!) As I said, if you vape the Regular 16mg ones they are pretty good and decently priced (17.95/10 if you buy 3 packs or more), but the less-used flavored cartos have been lacking; whether they've been sitting for too long or just an older model I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread