RDA Velocity style RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

syco26

Jan 11, 2016
I have just purchased my first RDA. I bought a Velocity clone as I didn't want to waste too much money on an RDA in case I don't like it. Untill now I have been using RTA's only. As I have been using a TFV4 mainly with the single and dual RBA decks I have had adequate power with my eVic VT for the build I have been doing.

I have installed my first dual claptons on the Velocity and I'm having issues with inadequate power. Even at the maximum of 60 watts on the eVic the ramp up time on the dual claptons takes for ever. Running a single isn't as bad.

I have read that you can get a similar vape from parallel coils so thinking about heading that way. What I would like to know is what wires paired are recomended?

I have Nichrome, SS, Kanthal and Ni200 all in 26 gauge (from a UD wire box) as well as 26/32 Kanthol Clapton and 28 gauge twisted Kanthol also from the UD box. I also have some 24 and 28 gauge Kanthol.

Any recommendations for either parallel or twisted coils (single or dual coils) with the supplies I have above that would be a great vape <60 watts in the Velocity clone?

Also most my juice is 50/50 if that helps.

Thanks in advance

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I would start with builds like what you use in your RTA and go from there. I would build to a satisfying vape rather than a specific OHM or wattage.

Sounds to me like you just got the wrong clapton wire for the wattage you have available. 28/32 or 28/34 might have worked fine.

So before we start tossing builds that wont work at you. What kind of builds runninga t what power levels, do you like in the atties you have? Are you building for a MTL or LTL type hit? You like a hot vape, warm or cool? Your priority flavor or clouds.

syco26

Jan 11, 2016
Thanks for the response. I have been using a variety of builds in the TFV4. Have gone as low as .3 ohm with good results. Have done standard 24, 26 and 28 gauge builds, spread 26 coils and twisted 26 gauge ( the twisted being my favourite so far of my builds).

My builds have varied between 5 and 8 raps and build 2-2.5mm ID coils as 3mm makes it too hard to fit the coils on the dual RBA deck. Have built 3mm ID coils for the single RBA deck.

I'm currently using the standard Clapton coils that come with the Clapton RBA. That is coming in at .67 ohms. I'm liking the flavour but the vape production isn't as big as I usually like. I'm running that at only 25 watts/4.07 volts as much above it and I get a slight burnt taste in longer pulls and cools down too slow allowing vape production to continue once I release the button.

I vape straight to lung, stopped MTL when I moved to sub ohm setups. What is LTL? I'm assuming is lip to lung.

I like my vape warm and not too hot. Not to keen for cold vape but would prefer cool over hot.

I usually vape around the 40 watt and below mark on the TFV4 due to the builds.

Last edited:

Vesuvius

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
I use the same RDA. I would start with simple builds or builds you already know and tweak them until you find what works. I run dual Clapton's but they don't really fire good for me until I put at least 50 but usually around 80 watts to them seeing as they need more power for the longer ramp up time for them to start cooking faster.

If you are getting dry hits above 25 watts, I would say its the wick.

I agree with the above post about the gauges for a Clapton to maybe work at a lower wattage. Maybe just run a single Clapton on the velocity and put it in the middle, in between the post.

syco26

Jan 11, 2016
I think your right about the wick. As the coils that came with the Clapton RBA have a very small ID I think I may have packed the wick a little tight. Will change the wick and see how I go with them.

I will see how the Velocity goes with a single Clapton between the posts. As long as I am getting good flavour and vapour production I don't really care if it is a single or dual, not in it to win any comps for clouds or sexy builds.

I do like the simplicity and results of twisted coils. Any recommendations on wire type to twist together from the above list of supplies? I had read somewhere that pairing Ni200 with Kanthol gives a quicker ramp up time. Is this correct?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Vesuvius

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
I think your right about the wick. As the coils that came with the Clapton RBA have a very small ID I think I may have packed the wick a little tight. Will change the wick and see how I go with them.

I will see how the Velocity goes with a single Clapton between the posts. As long as I am getting good flavour and vapour production I don't really care if it is a single or dual, not in it to win any comps for clouds or sexy builds.

I do like the simplicity and results of twisted coils. Any recommendations on wire type to twist together from the above list of supplies? I had read somewhere that pairing Ni200 with Kanthol gives a quicker ramp up time. Is this correct?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.
Not sure about the NI with kanthal but in my velocity now, I have dual twisted 24g coils. You can twist anything really. I usually twist 24, 26 or 28g myself. They work pretty good for flavor and decent clouds. With the wattage you have to work with I would twist the 28g and try it. could try 26g. You could even do a parallel with the 28 and see how it does.

syco26

Jan 11, 2016
I have just built a single coil between the posts. It is a 9 wrap of 28 gauge Kanthal twisted with a 2.5 ID. It is coming in at .56 ohm on the metre and .61ohms on my eVic.

At 60w/5.79v it is is putting out some vapour which is not as much as I thought I would get, the vape is slightly warmer than I like so am only taking 2 second pulls this could be due to having a bloody flue at the moment so it is hurting my throat more than usual, the flavour is ok but due the sore throat I am probably not tasting as much as I should. Fully wet wick and I only get 4-5 pulls chain vaping then it is tasting slightly burnt. The wick well was still wet so thinking the wick isn't keeping up at 60w.

At 50w/5.52v it is putting out more vapour production and better flavour. This is probably due to it not being as hot and I can pull 3+ second pulls before it hurts my throat. Got about 12 pulls before the wick was dry. Flavour was a heap better at this setting.

At 40w/4.93v the vapour production and flavour has dropped off again. Strangely it is hurting my throat more at 40w than it was at 50w. Also back to only 2.5 second pulls due to it hurting my throat. Would have thought as I went down in power it would have eased the throat hit a bit.

I also built a pair of twisted 26 gauge coils prior to the above build, 7 wraps . I used a piece of Ni200 and a piece of SS. The single came in at .03ohms and the pair my metre was saying .00ohms. Guess I can't use Ni200 and SS together as the resistance is too low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread