Vented Ultrafire - An Edgy-Kation in protected batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
Well today I was eying up a "large" battery case (plastic box) designed to hold 2 x 18650 OR 4 x 16340. I really wanted the box to hold 4 x 18350s.

Put in an AW IMR 18350... IMG_0009.jpg

OK, now try a no-name IMR 18350... IMG_0010.jpg

Oh good, that works too!
Now for the Ultrafire protected 18350s... IMG_0011.jpg

Oh, not so good.

Wonder if I could push it in with a little bit of pressure?

zap!.jpeg

OUCH! This M*&^&F#%$%^* is HOT!

IMG_0001.jpg

And it got hotter and hotter and hotter...

Who needs an stacked battery mod? I can vent single protected batteries at my desk!
:facepalm:

Last edited:

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
Crazy I wonder how that happened. Any insight?

My best guess is that when I tried to push it into the plastic box the edge of the box crushed that band that runs under the wrapper into the battery casing and shorted (the band is part of the protection circuit as it needs both + and - to operate). That band has a thin film of insulation on the back side of it but I guess I squeezed it too thin. Best guess anyway.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
My best guess is that when I tried to push it into the plastic box the edge of the box crushed that band that runs under the wrapper into the battery casing and shorted (the band is part of the protection circuit as it needs both + and - to operate). That band has a thin film of insulation on the back side of it but I guess I squeezed it too thin. Best guess anyway.

removing the plastic wrapper would tell you if you forced the 'nipple' positive contact off center and it touched the negative cell case (my guess). If the kapton tape under the sense strip was damaged that would show.

The same thing can happen trying to force a cell into a tight charger.

never mind , didn't click on you linked photos

Last edited:

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
I didn't peal that off... it melted. I took those pics as soon as it quit bubbling in that coffee mug of water and cooled off. First bubbling was out the + button (larger bubbles) then after that quit there were super small bubbles coming from the edges of the plastic wrap (or so it looked). I took it out of the cup after that. Notice it turned the water yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread