venting bad advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siacri6x

Dec 16, 2017
so i'm looking over some old threads and i come across a question concerning how to know if a battery is venting and i see a response advising that a quality battery that is not pushed will never vent.. (and while im writing this we just had a banger of an earthquake)..so anyway..i see that response get a bunch of thumbs up from the audience.. but i beg to differ and my now dead Aegis that probably saved my .... is all swollen and melted inside to account for this.. because we have to consider the occasional cell being bad or flawed and device malfunctions such as buttons sticking..crap happens.. if it smells bad and is way too hot for its own good (considering recent usage)..the smell makes it obvious.. but the reason i posted this is because the threads closed and with most folks agreeing that a non abused cell will not vent.. and thats simply a dangerous assumption and risky advice.. the thread should be taken down imhp... but im just a guy whos Aegis that was shelved for three days suddenly started smokin and hissing and it must have been the cell.. but theres no way to know..but it was an LG B4 which is rated at 30amps and was brand new from a co-op buy strait outta the Co-op China warehouse.. so there ya go!
15741371271692646186861055816918.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Never heard of a LG B4 18650 cell – looking up it’s specs I now know why. Max continuous discharge is a whopping 3.75 amps. Where did you get 30 amps from?

Batteries do not vent or enter a thermal event on their own. Something must trigger it. If you have been using, sorry…punishing this 3.75CDR cell as a 30 amp cell, or even remotely close, consider yourself lucky it decided to go south while sitting on a shelf and not while you were vaping it.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Capitalization, full stops, and paragraphs. Those were the failures that enabled me, without the need to read even a single word, to gauge your credibility at zero. You are a sloppy individual. That's why you chose cells far below the CDR required for your application. Have you considered that this character flaw is a danger to yourself and your loved ones, and anybody who lives near you? I hope that you endeavor to improve yourself.

brad-man

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2019
So Florida
So next time try to be proactive, rather than reactive. Read some old threads about proper battery selection (there are many) and you and the vaping community will be better off for it. As Punk In Drublic pointed out, your battery pick is suitable for a cordless phone, not vaping. Surprised you didn't happen across this very helpful chart from @Mooch.
Mooch's Battery Suggestions 4-29-19 .jpeg

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You were using a cell that is completely insufficient for any vaping usage.

The LG B4 ~ LGABB41865 is a 3.75a CDR cell - 9.36Wh.
LG Chem's confidential product specification sheet confirms this.

It is up to the user to select cell's with a sufficient CDR for their intended use and to buy from only known reputable suppliers.
There are no reputable suppliers that claim the LGABB41865 is more than the specs sheets stated 3.75a CDR.

The battery was severely abused, this outcome is the best one could hope for when using an insufficient cell.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Siacri6x, You need to go back and check the specs on what you bought. As others said, that cell wasn't made for vaping in any form or fashion. If you bought it in a vape shop, go back and show the owner the specs below and ask for a refund. If they are selling this cell for vaping they might want to think about personal liability exposure and take it off the shelf.

LG 18650 B4 2600 mAh 3.6V 5.0A
Reference: LG18650B4. LG B4

Condition: New product

LG18650B4 is the LG energy cell with capacity of 2600mAh and 9.5Wh, a very popular economic cell used in power banks, energy storage, laptop batteries, etc.

• 2600 mAh
  • 3.6V
  • 5.0A
  • Energy cell

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
1) You were using a battery with an insufficient amp rating (CDR - continuous discharge rating)

2) Not sure where you got your battery specification information, but it was misinformation

3) Although your regulated mod had safety circuitry, we can't always count on it to work properly. Most regulated mods have over discharge protection and short circuit protection, but as your experience showed, that protection sometimes fails.

4) If you are not aware of Battery Mooch, he is ECF's battery expert with his own blog and You Tube channel. Below are three videos that are relevant to your experience.

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Mooch - YouTube

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
3) Although your regulated mod had safety circuitry, we can't always count on it to work properly. Most regulated mods have over discharge protection and short circuit protection, but as your experience showed, that protection sometimes fails.

The over discharge “safety” feature on regulated devices prevents draining the battery beyond an unsafe low voltage. Typically this is between 2.8 and 3.4 volts. It does not prevent the device from attempting to draw a higher current than a batteries CDR rating. There is no protection in place for that. You set 60 watts, which is roughly a 20 amp draw, it does not matter what CDR rating your battery is, the device will attempt to draw 20 amps. This risk is always present and one a user should acknowledge, and why we stress the importance of matching CDR with power usage.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
it was an LG B4 which is rated at 30amps and was brand new from a co-op buy strait outta the Co-op China warehouse.. so there ya go!

So there you go, dear. First of all, never, ever buy batteries from "a co-op buy strait outta the China warehouse."

Like others have said, use only batteries that are safe for your mod and from a reputable battery vendor--please consult @Mooch 's charts and blog for information on what battery to buy and where.

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
No denying Mooch is an extremely valuable and knowable source. But to give credit where due, the members of ECF know a thing or 2 about batteries. I have not seen any bad advice given here on the forums. And if there was ever the odd poor advice, it has been quickly corrected, and by the majority. I can’t understand why the OP feels the advice given on these forums was not of value. Cheers to all and their efforts in promoting safe battery practices.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Battery wrap ends should be checked every time a cell is installed or removed, or put on a charger. All it takes is a crack or a little wear that allows a short at the positive end. Whether the cell will short at that point depends on the design of the contacts on the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread