ALERT VERMONT, TAX PROPOSAL 92%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
I just heard about this on Public Radio on the way home. Haven’t had a chance to read up on it yet, but from scanning a couple of articles, it’s clear that our legislators in Vermont have no idea about e-cigarettes/vaping. The governor wants to keep ecigs “out of the hands of kids” by placing a 92% tax on all devices and eliquid, including online sales. (If they really wanted to keep nicotine out of they hands of kids they should just ban all the juul’s, imho)
This is bad news for me, I’ve been off tobacco for two years and I don’t buy fancy devices but I do indulge in nice eliquid... 92% tax is steep! Can they even regulate every drop of eliquid and every piece of hardware coming into the state?
If anyone has a better understanding of what is proposed and how it will affect adult ecig users, I’d really like to hear about it. I’ll keep reading what I can find about it in the meantime.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Kristin from CASAA posted it in this thread:
    Heads Up - News - Updates Thread
    Looks like they want to ban online sales also.
    This is a good thread to follow, as well as join CASAA for updated state info.

New bill would ban online sales of e-cigarettes in Vermont
    If they raise the tax to 92% all the shops will go out of business. So if they ban online sales too, you won’t be able to get anything. That’s disgusting.

They raised the tax in Pennsylvania to 40% and that closed the B&Ms. But the vape community was loud about protesting and eventually it was reversed. My niece and nephew had a shop, and they called the news, were interviewed on air trying to save their business.

Enso

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2017
    Vermont, USA
    If they raise the tax to 92% all the shops will go out of business. So if they ban online sales too, you won’t be able to get anything. That’s disgusting.

They raised the tax in Pennsylvania to 40% and that closed the B&Ms. But the vape community was loud about protesting and eventually it was reversed. My niece and nephew had a shop, and they called the news, were interviewed on air trying to save their business.
    We don’t have that many shops to begin with. I’m not sure how strong the community is in Vermont, so I’m afraid that brutal legislation could pass fairly easily....

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    This is bad news for me, I’ve been off tobacco for two years and I don’t buy fancy devices but I do indulge in nice eliquid... 92% tax is steep!

If it's a proposed tax now, you may want to start buying the necessary ingredients and supplies soon...to make your own eliquids in the near future. It doesn't mean you'd actually have to learn how to do it right now though. Just getting the "stuff" while you still can would be a good idea though, IMO.

I'd be happy to help you learn about what those things are, about how much of each you'd need for starters, and about some of the various vendors that have them, if you'd like to PM me. I'm no DIY expert, but I teach local vapers how to DIY and have taught several on ECF through PM, by email, and by phone, too.

Enso

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2017
    Vermont, USA
    If it's a proposed tax now, you may want to start buying the necessary ingredients and supplies soon...to make your own eliquids in the near future. It doesn't mean you'd actually have to learn how to do it right now though. Just getting the "stuff" while you still can would be a good idea though, IMO.

I'd be happy to help you learn about what those things are, about how much of each you'd need for starters, and about some of the various vendors that have them, if you'd like to PM me. I'm no DIY expert, but I teach local vapers how to DIY and have taught several on ECF through PM, by email, and by phone, too.
    Thanks JCinFLA! I tried my hand at it a while back, and in the process of moving I was unable to continue and I found that there are companies that make liquid far better than anything I could concoct. Though I don’t mind flavorless.
    My nic level is pretty low, so I could probably quit. My wife smokes though, so it might be harder to avoid relapse. And it will be another barrier to getting her to one day transition over. It’ll be just as expensive or more expensive than a pack a day habit. Sorry I’m being a pessimist, this is bad news and it kinda took me by surprise.
    I’m faced with either dropping it, paying an absurd tax, or buying a Reo and a couple liters of nic.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I just heard about this on Public Radio on the way home. Haven’t had a chance to read up on it yet, but from scanning a couple of articles, it’s clear that our legislators in Vermont have no idea about e-cigarettes/vaping. The governor wants to keep ecigs “out of the hands of kids” by placing a 92% tax on all devices and eliquid, including online sales. (If they really wanted to keep nicotine out of they hands of kids they should just ban all the juul’s, imho)
    This is bad news for me, I’ve been off tobacco for two years and I don’t buy fancy devices but I do indulge in nice eliquid... 92% tax is steep! Can they even regulate every drop of eliquid and every piece of hardware coming into the state?
    If anyone has a better understanding of what is proposed and how it will affect adult ecig users, I’d really like to hear about it. I’ll keep reading what I can find about it in the meantime.

Sounds like it is Time to Throw the Tea in the Harbor. Because I Don't think writing letters is going to get it done.

In Lieu of Tea and a Harbor, People in the Streets with Signs and CNN coverage would probably be your Best Bet.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    They totally want the tax money.

I don't think so. Banning online sales and implementing a tax that they know will close all the shops means they are more interested in wiping it out completely in favor of cigarettes rather than getting any money from vaping.

Although Vermont is small enough it might not be too big a deal to get a PO Box in a neighboring state and have orders sent there. Of course learning DIY, Rebuildables, and stocking up on nic base is always another option.

Since this is still in "proposed" status, now is the time to fight. Do anything you can to raise awareness. Talk to any shop owners in your area to make sure they know, start a petition and get the shop owners to have patrons sign it. Try to get the local news to do stories on how this will close business and put people out of work, etc. Do anything and everything to raise awareness.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    If they raise the tax to 92% all the shops will go out of business. So if they ban online sales too, you won’t be able to get anything.
    Where there's a demand, there will be a supply; the question is at what price and what inconvenience or risk.
    They raised the tax in Pennsylvania to 40% and that closed the B&Ms. But the vape community was loud about protesting and eventually it was reversed.
    Some B&Ms did close in PA, but nowhere near all of them. Both of the ones closest to my home there are still open and doing fine. The 40% tax has not been rescinded, but there was a court decision in June of last year that put severe limits on what goods it could be assessed on.

Enso

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2017
    Vermont, USA
    I don't think so. Banning online sales and implementing a tax that they know will close all the shops means they are more interested in wiping it out completely in favor of cigarettes rather than getting any money from vaping.
    Possibly. The proposed tax is the same as what’s already on tobacco. I guess the logic is young people
    I know which of those I would choose. :D
    #3? That’s where I’m leaning:thumb:

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I guess the logic is young people

Correction: that's the excuse. Make no mistake the motivation is money, 100% money, and nothing but the money. Either they will wipe out vaping and drive everyone back to smoking so they get the taxes, OR some businesses remain open and they get the taxes. Either way, they want their pound of flesh and they do not care who gets hurt in the process of collecting it.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Where there's a demand, there will be a supply; the question is at what price and what inconvenience or risk.

Some B&Ms did close in PA, but nowhere near all of them. Both of the ones closest to my home there are still open and doing fine. The 40% tax has not been rescinded, but there was a court decision in June of last year that put severe limits on what goods it could be assessed on.
    I stand corrected. I was repeating what I was told.

Reactions: smacuser

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    fussin about 92% tax.... how many of yall said to yourself that you would never pay more than XXX$ for a pack of ciggies??? ;)
    I said I wasnt going to pay more than 2$ a pack... the last pack I bought was nearly 5$... ( now they are closer to 6.50$)

taxes is not the answer... are they taxing booze more also? if these kids are getting the stuff, maybe the sellers need to be the ones in the spot light, they know better than to sell to minors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread