The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Very strange problem with my BLU - Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Blu Electronic Cigarettes' started by Maximo, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Schmoe

Schmoe Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I was about to say that the PTB mod probably wouldn't work that great for the blu because the actual liquid cups are just so small. If you got extra cart filler from blu around, cut one in half, put in the bottom of the cup, and then put a whole filler on top of that. That way the bridge is constantly able to wick and no free liquid is sitting at the bottom of the cup.

2. Slither

Slither Full Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Yes. I cut a piece about as wide a the cartridge, and a little bit shorter than the top of the cartridge. I have to kind of twist it up to get it to fit in to the width of the cart.
    When filling the cart, make sure you don't overfill it. I put a few drops of juice in and poke it with a paper clip to release the air bubbles from the foam, then fill it the rest of the way.

3. giggles4u309

giggles4u309 Unregistered Supplier

Feb 21, 2010
    Illinois
    What is this blue foam you are referring to?:confused:

4. ffwd

ffwd Full Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Florida
    blue foam is actually like aquarium filter foam, works really good i jus switched from the ptb to the blue foam mod on my volcano (same as Blu) and it wicks great, i have noticed a slightly bad taste when you chain vape the l88b, and the atty gets real hot. so pace yourself when you do this mod. i made my blue foam filler the same width around as the inner cart, and like 2-3 mm higher and poke it down in there (also i fill the inner cart with juice, and then put the foam in, can almost completely fill the sucker xD) anyways hope this helped

5. cheeto_1983

cheeto_1983 Full Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Texas
    Is the taste of the "good hit" different? Like more fiber fill tasting? You are too dry. Pop in another cart.

I am a 3 week user of blu, and I have tried "dripping" its messy and silly. I am a smoker not a freaking mad scientist getting out my dropper and what not....So you get a dud every once and a while with the prefilled. Keep using them! The blu or volcano l88b works and is a great product. I am not sure if volcano pre filled carts come from the same company, but they are completely compatible in every which way, so maybe they have less duds???

6. cheeto_1983

cheeto_1983 Full Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Texas
    Also if you aren't dry then how hot is the battery? If your good hit consists of a 5 second drag well then you might be making the unit overheat. When my blu gets a little warm in my hand I let it chill out for a while, but I smoke mine continuously for an hour or so sometimes and even have an ashtray to put it in as if I was really smoking...

7. THeGAMe

THeGAMe Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Issaquah, WA
    Im going to try trimming a empty cup down to a quarter and putting it under the the new cart cup to bring it up and around the atty. Thx for the suggestion.

New user here.
    After reading on this thing I have found at least one must. After putting on the cart to break the foil, get a paperclip and pull out the juice cup. Remove all of the foil from the Blu cups inside the carts and put it back. this should put the new cup up more around the atty. The foil keeps the liquid from leaking all over the place before you use it, but hinders liquid flow, and doesnt taste that good after a few hits.

I dont have this problem much if both the foil is removed and the juice cup has a decent amount of juice in it. This is NOT a heavy duty unit, designed to produce alot of vapor and take long tugs with. Even long tugs on a analog will get you bad results (hotbox). You cant use the Blu like a panicked person and a life preserver. You have to learn to use it. Relax and enjoy.

Refills are going to be alot better methinks.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont believe there is a single ecig out there that is simply plug and play yet. You have to do something more than simply throw a cart on and go with all of them.

Another thing Ive read, left over juice. Since Im going refill, and there is always left over juice in the cup that the atty cant get too, Im going to start squeezing out the leftovers to use for refill.
    Correct me if Im wrong on any of this and more suggestions on how to improve how the Blu works welcome!

8. duffstone

duffstone New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    I don't know the correct terminology, but they do make ecigs with the atty and the cartridge built together and disposable. I hear good things about them.

As for the blu, it's really gimmicky until you start filling your own carts. For some reason their carts just don't wick. 75+ carts later, I still haven't gotten anything close to consistent. However, after learning how to refill my carts, I get good consistent hits every time.

1) get a good juice.
    2) get a hypodermic syringe with needle
    3) get blue foam.

Pop the inner reservoir by using a paperclip. Remove all the foil / plastic / glue from the inner reservoir. wash it, dry it, and roll the blue foam between your fingers and twist it into the reservoir. Insert the syringe needle to the bottom, fill it bottom to top. use a paperclip or pencil eraser to push the reservoir back firmly to the bottom, and you're good to go. A refilled cart properly stuffed will hold about ~.2 - .3ml which is a very small quantity. (a 510 seems to hold around .6ml or so properly stuffed.)

As a good practice, I mate up the atties and carts on my refills. This way if I want multiple flavors, I don't have to constantly clean atties. Right now I have 4 and they will get me 2 full 8hr work days in a pinch. I usually refill every night tho.

Otherwise I use a 510 around the house and while commuting. Mainly because it's far less maintenance overall. The batts last longer, the carts are easier to work with and have caps, plus it holds more Juice.

My .02.
    -Duff

9. Schmoe

Schmoe Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well, after a month of using the blu, this is what all has worked for me and my standard plan. I do refills with the 25 carts that came with the whole blu package. Read about a lot of mods, and to be honest, haven't really had time to go out and by the materials to try the cart mods. I did try, and still using, a coffee filter mod. Cut out a .5 X 1.5 inch rectangle, folded it up to fit into the cup. Fill with ejuice and used that instead of the standard polyfill. It doesn't completely wick all the juice out, but a hell of a lot better than the polyfill and a lot less juice in the cup when the throat hit starts going away. I've found that one whole ecig, with cart and all fits in the far right hole, put the spare battery in the charge port and put one atty on a cart upside down whereas the atty is sticking up in one hole. Then all the others, 4 of them, I fill all 4 of them up with juice and put them in the hole with the the cart openings facing up so that all I do is remove the empty cart, then simply put the atty into a full cup, pull it out and good to go. I found that this can last me just about all day at work. Fill them up before I leave and good to go until I get ready to go to bed and refill them. Charge the PCC once every two days. works good. Have done a lot of reading here and I think the golden prize will be whomever finds the perfect fill. The bridge doesn't get hot, so finding a good wick material is just a matter of time. I've also learned that over time, the polyfill will start sticking to the bridge. I've seen some mods that tell you to roll the fill material in a circle and put it in the cup, but I've found that at least the atty's on the blu's have a tendency to grab the material and pull out when you go to fill the carts. I'm thinking the blue foam might be as close as we're going to get to the ideal fill. Another thing that you have to keep in mind is the density of the juice. Seems the PG is less dense than the VG, so if you use a real porious fill with PG, some of it may leak out of the cup, especially if you store it or lay it cart up. It will run down the sides and into the battery. I'm now having problems with one atty, but doing the dry burn cleaning method, seems to help it out for a couple of days. Also, the blu atty's don't like dark liquids.

10. duffstone

duffstone New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    What kills me is the l88b system as a whole seems to be ALMOST perfect. The overall size is agreeable with analogs, the automatic battery works pretty well, the exposed atty lends it'self to multiple techniques, and the PCC is superior to any other on the market (IMO). The only thing that keeps me from giving it more than 2 stars is the stupid carts, and how they won't wick. Even when you fill/mod your own, it's still hit or miss. Those juice reservoirs are simply too small to get anything consistent...

*shrug*

-Duff

11. THeGAMe

THeGAMe Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Issaquah, WA
    How about a larger reservoir?
    I removed the atty, placed the reservior on the wick and held it up to the side of the cart. It looks like there is 1/8 to 3/16in. left in the outer cart that could support a larger cup.

Any other brand that have a similar design reservior, just longer, that can be trimmed down?

12. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
    Maybe Wicked cigs? Have you tried those?

13. RestrictedAccess

RestrictedAccess Full Member ECF Veteran

There are times when I experience a similar problem. When it occurs, I take the resevoir out and peel the plastic and foil off so it's fully exposed. After putting the cig back together, point the LED light towards the floor and give the top of the cartridge a few firm taps. This should help bring some of the liquid closer to the atty.

You'll find after you get to the point where you're getting hardly any vapor and the cartridge is almost empty, if you take out the resevoir and really look at it, there's plenty of juice near the bottom. I have to wonder if the atty just isn't strong enough to heat it all. There's no reason why, with that much juice left over, we shouldn't be getting more vapor.

I hear volcano parts are a little better (I don't see why), and I might try an experiment with a volcano atty to see if it heats better than the Blu.

14. michael s

michael s Full Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Bossier City, LA
    the problem doesn't have anything to do with the atty not heating up enough. it is due to the fact that the pollyfill is not wicking the juice to the metal bridge of the atty that covers the wick which brings the liquid to the coil down inside the bowl of the atty. Volcano parts are better due to they are assembled by a different company. With different standards(ie. better QC) I have both Blu and Volcano, when working at peak performance both produce the same. It's just I have never had a problem with my V, but my Blu parts have all broke down and I have had to replace them. Owned Blu for 3 months, Volcano for about 2 1/2 months. Replacing the cart filler with something better is the best way to fix the problem of not using all the juice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.