Veteran DIYer's Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TODSHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
OHIO, USA
I started mixing my own juice about a month ago. At first, everything seemed fine. Only mixing single flavors to start. Started out with low % and worked up on flavors.
My first 5ml bottle was fine but about half way thru the second 5ml bottle, I started getting a "tinny" flat taste with no flavor at all. I have tried different flavors and %s to no avail. Everything is NASTY! I started to blame my VV/VW mod for the taste because it seemed better on single voltage devices but now its the same on everything! I cant even vape them without getting severe dry mouth! I dont understand what I am doing wrong.
I use 60mg PG nic.
I mix at 4 to 6 mg
I have tried from 90vg/10pg on down.
I have been using TFA flavors (pg)
I have even tried adding saline
I have tried from 5 to 20% flavor.
I use the ejuicemeup calculator

This cant be that hard!
When I fill with pre made juice, everything is fine..dry mouth goes away and theres plenty of flavor! Its only with the stuff I mix myselfe.
Any suggestions...please!

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
"tinny" flat taste with no flavor at all

Doesn't ring any bells though could be an issue of over-flavoring. You eliminated equipment by testing with the premade. See if you can also eliminate vp and vg by individually vaping these "naked" i.e. straight up. Then try cutting a sample of your mix into half-strength by adding vg/pg and see if that makes a difference.

Sometimes it takes a couple of days after overflavoring before you're able to taste that flavor again. So, if still nothing, vape your premade for a couple of days -- and try again. Don't think it's "vapors tongue" because that would also affect the premade.

What TFA flavor(s) are you mixing and at what strength?

I'm actually suspicious the issue might be your PG. However, I'm biased as I had issues before switching to 100%vg.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Dry mouth is usually a symptom of the base and not always the flavoring (Although I have ran into a few flavors that did that). As the previous poster suggested try vaping just the VG, PG alone then mix the base and try that alone and see if you get the same effect. I find the dry throat irratating effect is caused by the base and NIC so you may have to play with the saline to VG to PG concentrations. Also try reducing the NIC content and see if that helps. For me I find it happens with higher VG mixes.

After you get your plain base vaping correctly then you can better concentrate on any flavor problems.

Last edited:

TODSHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
OHIO, USA
These are the flavors that I have. I have not tried all of them yet but the ones that I have tried came out all the same. The only one that is vapable is the Cream de menthe.

Bavarian Cream Flavor
Butterscotch Flavor-
Chocolate Flavor-
Cinnamon Flavor-
Cinnamon Red Hot Flavor-
Creme de Menthe Flavor-
English Toffee Flavor-
Irish Cream Flavor-
Mango Flavor-
Mocha Flavor-
Peach Flavor-
Root Beer Flavor (Tri)
Sweetener-4ml
Vanilla (Bourbon) Flavor

I will try what you suggested Lovevanilla. Do you mean vape just the straight pg or vg with no nic or flavor?

TODSHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
OHIO, USA
Are you using a syringe to measure your flavors or drops after you calculate? It seems that all the calculators set 1ml at 20 drops for some obscure reason. I don't have one flavoring that is 20 drops per ml. That could be messing things up bigtime.

Yes..I do use syringes. The only thing I use the "drop" method on is the VG. I did measure this out before doing this. 20 drops does equal 1ml on the VG only.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
I will try what you suggested Lovevanilla. Do you mean vape just the straight pg or vg with no nic or flavor?

Yes. Again I suspect an PG issue but there are also some non-stellar VGs. Did you find the suggested TFA percentages for "vapable" straight single flavors (on this forum)? Start with the lowest percentage on this list for the flavor. Though sometimes this is still too strong... And, once you get past this, as suggested by Danny the saline is an excellent addition.

TODSHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
OHIO, USA
Yes. Again I suspect an PG issue but there are also some non-stellar VGs. Did you find the suggested TFA percentages for "vapable" straight single flavors (on this forum)? Start with the lowest percentage on this list for the flavor. Though sometimes this is still too strong... And, once you get past this, as suggested by Danny the saline is an excellent addition.

Yes I have found the percentage sheets and have been starting below the suggested percentages. The first one I mixed up I started at the recommended percentage and it seemed too high. So now if it recommends 15% I start at about half of that.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
"tinny" flat taste spells taste-bud rebellion to me... ie: vaper's tongue. If I were you I would start experimenting by cutting the amount of total flavoring in half and go up from there until you hit the rebellion. We're all different and that's why its hard to advise. That's why I can't recommend a percentage of flavoring I like for someone else. IE: One family member loves ginger bread and would eat the whole platter of cookies if I let them at Christmas and the other looses their sense of taste after just one or two cookies and they loooove ginger. :-(

Last edited:

TODSHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
OHIO, USA
You said "seemed too high" But what experience are you basing that assumption off of?

The first flavor I mixed was English Toffie I believe....just seemed overly sweet and overpowering so I cut the percentage in half and it was just fine for me...That's what I meant by "seemed too high" That's for my taste.

TODSHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
OHIO, USA
"tinny" flat taste spells taste-bud rebellion to me... ie: vaper's tongue. If I were you I would start experimenting by cutting the amount of total flavoring in half and go up from there until you hit the rebellion. We're all different and that's why its hard to advise. That's why I can't recommend a percentage of flavoring I like for someone else. IE: One family member loves ginger bread and would eat the whole platter of cookies if I let them at Christmas and the other looses their sense of taste after just one or two cookies and they loooove ginger. :-(

I thought about that also..I needed to vape something so I broke out some "bought" juice that I have left over. I vaped it for less than a day and dry mouth was gone and plenty of flavor...makes me think its not vapers toungue.
I then started vaping the stuff I mixed again and back to dry mouth and "tinny" no flavor ....crap...for lack of a better term.

TODSHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
OHIO, USA
Ok..here is what I have experienced thus far..
The pg by itself caused me to have extreme dry mouth, couldnt even get thru the 1 ml that I had in the tank.
The vg was not as bad. A subtle sweet flavor with a hint of "tinny" taste at exhale. Dont know if this is normal for streight up vg.
I had some "0" nic juice that I had purchased when going thru testing at work for health insurance...I added .5ml of nic to the 5ml bottle. I am vapeing that now to see what happens.
What I dont get is I have vaped 50/50 for the most part of pre made juice and never had a problem. I think I have more than one issue causing my problems. The nic that I am using is 100% pg. The flavors are all pg based. I dont know what the pre made juices consist of that makes them vapable for me. It looks like I am going to have to ditch my pg nic juice for 100% vg and try to cut the pg way back.
Either I am very sensitive to pg or I got some crappy supplies. This is my unknown factor since I have used 50/50 pre made stuff with no issues. I have not seen where anyone else has had these types of issues....

Can anyone recommend a GOOD U.S seller of 100% vg nic juice?

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
If you have had no issues with premade juice then you may not be sensitive at all. It may be the quality of you PG/VG. I have not personally experienced this but have read of others that were not happy with the quality of their PG/VG. Where did you purchase yours? Maybe that is the case and a different vendor would work better for you. Just a thought..

TODSHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
OHIO, USA
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread