Veterans, how was vaping back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I only started in like twennytwelve or something, so I can't report on the '07 routine.
But I will tell you this; even in '12 we were extracting crappy vapes by sieving antifreeze through goat bladders and heating it on exhaust manifolds to get it to phase change. Hate to think how rough they had it back in '07.

:|

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
It was rough, lemme tell ya! Mods were carved by hand using stone tools and the only atomizers available were converted kitchenware. Oh, wait, that must've been somebody else; I haven't been vaping since 2007...

I will say I've been doing it long enough that I nearly failed due to the then-unavailability of regulated mods exceeding 15 Watts of power and the lack of atomizers capable of free-breathing direct lung hits. I scraped by, but only by moving directly into mech mods and the Fogger V2, which was brand new at the time. It could breathe well enough I could get half a lung hit before having to take time out for some oxygen. Times are better now.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
This was a thriving establishment when I joined in 2013. The one thing I remember most is that ECF was a priceless repositilory of knowledge.

In that regard, not much has changed.

If you want to learn, you're in the right place.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I started on something called a cloud9 which was much like a blu. Everything was proprietary and most stuff was 2.2v. The blu was actually heralded when it came out mostly because it had a 510 connector which was NOT proprietary. It wasn’t the best ecig but you could at least buy 3rd party batteries for it. Everything was soldered microcoil. Rebuilding coils was nearly impossible. The ecig community centered on cleaning used coils (denture tablets were popular) and figuring out ways to refill cartridges. When ego batteries came out everyone was excited. 3.7v was MUCH better than 2.2

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This was a thriving establishment when I joined in 2013. The one thing I remember most is that ECF was a priceless repositilory of knowledge.

In that regard, not much has changed.
I must agree. I joined ECF in 2012 when I first began to vape, and because of the wealth of information on this site I was able to make informed decisions on better gear and learned a lot of tips which greatly improved my vaping experience.

Innitially, I thought that my vaporizer had to "look like a cigarette". Well, after about a month's use of cigalikes I had quickly grown frustrated with the very poor battery time and poor e-liquid capacity. I literally had to have a few cigalikes available to last the day.

I had done a lot of reading on ECF and decided to go with a much larger battery device (a Silver Bullet, a mechanical mod with an 18650 battery which would last all day) and a cartotank (3 ml tank housing a cartomizer which would last all day). My first gamechanger.

Back in the day...

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
IMO, better back then.

I had a Go Go set up, proprietary threading, 1300mah & 3a of raw power attached to a go go cartomizer / go-cart that held 3 ml of liquid.
Battery lasted a full day, carto's were extremely efficient with liquid consumption, carto lasted 100+mls and had the perfect heat & airy draw, enormous cloudz, flavor was better than anything since. Every bit as good as any rda.
I still have 2 batteries & 2 carto's I'm saving for my 10 anniversary of quitting the smokes.

Gonna fill a carto & vape my face off.

Cigeasy & Nhaler were the only distributors Im aware of.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I remember that up until this past Spring there was a cloud over all the forums from the looming threat of the FDA. I was always having to hope that I could get my semiannual nic order placed before a mad panicked rush from the forums because people would work themselves into a frenzy two or three times a year. CASAA reps reported on a weekly basis and rarely had good news.
    Some of us took out our frustrations in a weekly Provari bashing thread. What say, Baditude? :)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    IMO, better back then.

I had a Go Go set up, proprietary threading, 1300mah & 3a of raw power attached to a go go cartomizer / go-cart that held 3 ml of liquid.
    Battery lasted a full day, carto's were extremely efficient with liquid consumption, carto lasted 100+mls and had the perfect heat & airy draw, enormous cloudz, flavor was better than anything since. Every bit as good as any rda.
    I still have 2 batteries & 2 carto's I'm saving for my 10 anniversary of quitting the smokes.

IMO, better back then.

Carto systems can still be had, and they do have their points.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Some of us took out our frustrations in a weekly Provari bashing thread. What say, Baditude? :)
    Just a few examples:

New Provari Owner - First Impression
    Survival of the Fittest
    Provari Takes a Licking, but Keeps on Ticking
    ProVari Mini vs Briggs & Stratton Lawnmower - And the winner is ...

This darn Provari just WILL NOT DIE!
    Why ProVari? | E-Cigarette Forum
    Should I Upgrade to a Provari?
    What makes the provari so special? | E-Cigarette Forum
    Is the Provari Still Worth It?

Why are Provari's so Expensive?
    For People Who Think the Provari is Too Expensive
    Is the PROVARI worth it...YES and I will explain WHY. Facts, not ...
    The Provari is sublime | E-Cigarette Forum
    ProVari: Is it Over the Hill? – Steve K's Vaping World

What is so great about a Provari? | E-Cigarette Forum
    What is so great about a Provari? | E-Cigarette Forum
    ProVari has ruined me for other mods | E-Cigarette Forum

Provape-Dead-copy.jpg

* Not sure why some of the links no longer work. :(

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I only go back to 2010/11, but the biggest difference I see is the sense of community. When there were few choices and no shops, vapers used to meet up in small groups to share the good news and swap liquids and tips. My first meetup was at a barbeque hosted by a a great guy with maybe two dozen people. A couple small (at that time) online vendors, the owners themselves with a tackle box full of stuff. Then next few were at bars that allowed us to vape. Lots of sharing and socializing, no clouds at all.

There was little comparison or competitiveness, just a bunch of happy ex-smokers sharing some good times. I miss those days.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread