Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Short answer: 100% VG

Purity of PG, VG and PEG - The Short Version

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick.

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Some juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
Short answer: 100% VG

^^ this.

Sutterrr, maybe you could share some information with us about the kind of equipment you're using. Other members will undoubtedly have experience with different PG/VG ratios on that same type of rig and may be able to offer you some insight as to what works well.

For instance, I'm old fashioned and still often use cartomizers. For me, 100% VG hasn't worked well in those simply because it is too thick which makes them hard to refill and they seem clog up too quickly. I also prefer to have a little more throat hit and flavor is also important so I try to keep it at around 70% PG / 30% VG to get a balance of flavor, vapor and hit.

So, what are you using?

Last edited:

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I'm using an omega clone RDA at 0.25 ohms, and a chi mech mod clone. I've been using juices like space jam which I think is 60vg 40pg (can't remember, it isn't on the bottle) and fuzion vapor which I believe is 70vg 30pg, but it's nice to know which affects what. Now I know I'd want more VG but I do appreciate flavor as well

You'll have to play around with the ratio to see what suits you but the "rule of thumb" I see all the time is more VG produces more vapor but "mutes" flavor (and tends to "gunk up" your coils in my experience) while more PG carries flavor (and "throat hit" for those who like it... I never did even as a smoker) but produces less vapor. So you get the "ratio" thing. Most seem to find a blend of one or more kinds to their liking. 100% either way doesn't seem as popular.

I think somebody else has mentioned Mt Baker. They let you pick from a list of ratios when you order. So try out some combinations--mostly leaning the VG way--and see what you like. Myself, I seem to have settled around 50/50 to 60/40. Slightly toward more PG (the 60/40) but still get pretty good vapor (judging from the fog in my living room right now :) ).

I actually like some 100% VG juices (Johnson Creek has some nice ones) but they're rough on coils. Just can gunk the daylights out of a coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread