Video: Experiment with a atomizer-less e-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Still can't really picture it.

If you mean the heating element (hot bit) will go into the juice / cart wadding, I think that's not going to work. If too much liquid surrounds it, it cannot heat up. There is a danger of melting/burning the cart material and the vapor might force out drops of juice (if it did manage to heat up).

Or have I misunderstood what you mean?

iam0z

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
So you take the cold heat iron apart and add a switch. Now the tip can be permanently connected to metal and then activated via a button.

Or modify the switch it has already to convert it to a momentary position switch that is NO (normally open) and instead of inserting a pin in the probe instead gut the atomizer for it switch and coil and cover or wrap the end of the probe in stainless steel braid sufficient enough to where it makes good contact with the existing mesh and will wick the juice like the existing coils already do. Because replaceing these probes is a whole lot easier and cheaper than buy new atomizers right? Now RobW what about the limitation the cold heat iron has on recharables batteries? Do you believe like i do with a momentary switch in place it will relieve the dangers of using recharable batteries?

iam0z

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
There seems absolutely no doubt to me that the cold heat soldering iron is exactly the technology that could make an extremely long lasting atomizer. I don't know if I have the ability to make it work but I am certain it 'could' be made to work.

Pete have no fear i am a machinist and i already own one let me see what i can do

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Pete have no fear i am a machinist and i already own one let me see what i can do

Good show IamOz see what you can do with it....I should be getting one to play with tomorrow....I used to be a manufacturing technician making diesel fuel injection pumps and could certainly have done something with it if I still had access to all the machinery and materials that I used to have. I have some ideas of my own but I don't really think I can try them out with the kind of equipment I have at home...I don't really have much more than a black and decker drill now.....lol.

Last edited:

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
The number one thing is not adding to much metal to the tip. the resistance will slow down the heat transfer. I think 2 seconds is about the most people will put up with. Then again it is a long lasting atomizer so that is a plus.

Drawing the juice onto the tip of the iron seems the biggest problem....Ideally it needs something along the lines of a normal atomizer with the tip of the soldering iron being where the coil is.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Pete - just thinking the same thing! Not to use the metal wicking at the heater but as the existing atty - minus bridge - to draw droplets nto the tip; yes :)

btw, heater element would be best made from a short length of nichrome wire - such as from a toaster or fan heater. Not for its resistance but for its inertness, chemically and to heat. That is, use a short length of nichrome wire between the cold-soldering guns electrodes.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Pete - just thinking the same thing! Not to use the metal wicking at the heater but as the existing atty - minus bridge - to draw droplets nto the tip; yes :)

btw, heater element would be best made from a short length of nichrome wire - such as from a toaster or fan heater. Not for its resistance but for its inertness, chemically and to heat. That is, use a short length of nichrome wire between the cold-soldering guns electrodes.

Hi Kinaba....I was wondering if the wire needed to 'make' the connection on the tip should be nichrome or something ....I was also wondering if there could be any danger of anything being in the vapour from the graphite of the tip?

Last edited:

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
If it is carbon that would safe. Stainless steel would be ok, but nichrome perperhaps most robust - and pliable.

It would be ideal to not have to change the soldering gun at all apart from adding a tip, but to make juice flow automatic with wicking and cart, it might be necessary. Those who have one to play with will soon find out ...

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
If it is carbon that would safe. Stainless steel would be ok, but nichrome perperhaps most robust - and pliable.

It would be ideal to not have to change the soldering gun at all apart from adding a tip, but to make juice flow automatic with wicking and cart, it might be necessary. Those who have one to play with will soon find out ...

Apparently the exact make up of the tip is a bit of a secret but they think it's just a carbon with a silica strip between it.

That's what I am thinking.. it's already almost an e-cig and atomizer in one as it is..it just needs a wicking method and cart built around it.

iam0z

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
I don't really have much more than a black and decker drill now.....lol.

Pete I am retired USAF where I was a machinist for 21 years plus 12 more years on the private sector dealing with programmable CNCs. I have my own micro shop with programmable CNC bench top lathe and mill surface grinder with all the tools gauges, bells, and whistles. So I should be able to come up with something nifty.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK

Sorry Kinaba....I meant it's a graphite tip.....I don't know if that can give off any fumes we wouldn't like to inhale?

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Pete I am retired USAF where I was a machinist for 21 years plus 12 more years on the private sector dealing with programmable CNCs. I have my own micro shop with programmable CNC bench top lathe and mill surface grinder with all the tools gauges, bells, and whistles. So I should be able to come up with something nifty.

Hey that's great sounds like you should be able to come up with something then.....get ready for mass production.....lol. It seems those cold heat soldering Irons are a bit of a failure when it comes to soldering the tip breaks too easily....but I think we might have a much better use for them!!

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Update ....I have received my cold heat soldering Iron......I have played around with it enough already to know that it could be made to work and produce enough vapour.....BUT.....I have realised it would need to have pretty much exactly the same size nichrome wire coiled around it to make the heating element.....otherwise you are simply going to be using too much current to produce the heat. The battery drain would be way too large. It's all about wattage and heat and currant........... I think I get far too carried away with ideas sometimes.....lol.

iam0z

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
Hey that's great sounds like you should be able to come up with something then.....get ready for mass production.....lol. It seems those cold heat soldering Irons are a bit of a failure when it comes to soldering the tip breaks too easily....but I think we might have a much better use for them!!

Here's a picture of my shop;

attachment.php

They now have CNC conversion kits installed and repeat wonderfully. Of course, now, it makes the work tedious and boring but the accuracy, as i am sure you are aware, can't be compared. And I can still operate them manually if i choose.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Here's a picture of my shop;

attachment.php

They now have CNC conversion kits installed and repeat wonderfully. Of course, now, it makes the work tedious and boring but the accuracy, as i am sure you are aware, can't be compared. And I can still operate them manually if i choose.

Hi IamOZ.....I am afraid for some reason I can't see your pic.....yes I know what you mean about repetitive accuracy, with a CNC.....set it up right and away they go......the old machinist's skills aren't necessary any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread