The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Viral infection due to E-cig

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Iken, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Iken

Iken Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2009
    PA,USA
    Ok, True Story
    I was at work enjoying my 901. Naturally people are going to notice in a pizza shop. But anyway I was talking to one of my co-workers about how great e-cigs are in general, and how much it actually feels like a regular cigarette.(I can get kinda preachy) So before I knew it there was a small crowd of 4 people around me, with one guy holding my 901. The one guy who's name will remain nameless, snatched it out of one's hand and took a hit! I was completley shocked which I will tell you why i a minute. Right afterwards my boss grabbed it and she was holding it. Now, she doesnt smoke nor had in the past 4-5 years so I thought noting of it. Until that is, she put it up to her lips, I gasped and couldnt even get a word out in time and she hit it. I took the 901 back, threw away the whole cart. I took her back to the office and I told her that she needs to find something right away to clean her mouth or do something because I beleive the "nameless one" has Herpes! She didnt beleive me and told me that I'm crazy. Now my ultimate fear is a non-curable disease, I Know these things. A week passes by ( Im menatally tearing myself apart during) and she comes up to me and asks "Remember what you told me the other day?" I said "um yea" she repiled "look" as she pulled her cheek back slightly BOOM there it was! It looked like a Huge dome with a ton of little bubbles on it! Totally speechless and full of guilt, I couldnt say a word except to apologize. The End

2. bribri

bribri Moved On

Oct 13, 2008
    San Mateo, CA.
    Highly unlikely unless the nameless one had oral herpes... For it to transmit... Pretty unlikely but possible I guess. what a tragic tragic story for your boss. Next time do what I hear leaford does, he carries around spare cart tips or spare ecigs so people can hit those instead lol.

3. ROB26

ROB26 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2009
    Fort Worth TX
    YIKES!!! I find that to be highly unlikely as well....but who knows...are you sure your boss and "mr. nameless" are not sharing more than E-cig drags? lol

4. Spikey

Spikey Moved On

I ALWAYS carry an extra cart and some rubbing alcohol wipes to clean it if someone wants to try it.

5. Kate

Kate Moved On

Jun 26, 2008
    UK
    Cold sores need to be active and weeping to be infectious like that.

I would be more worried about hepatitis.

6. katink

katink Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2008
    the Netherlands
    You can also just carry some extra mouthpieces, and just switch those in any situation you don't trust, that way it doesn't cost you a bunch of cartridges... and there are warnings in the NZ-reports that disease can be transported through the mouthpieces, so I do think this can well have happened due to using the e-cig after a herpes-victim (true Kate, with open sore in mouth). Good warning to watch the hygiene a bit...

7. Sir_Puffalot

Sir_Puffalot Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 26, 2008
    UK
    We definitely have to be vigilant about hygiene. I had a similar experience around Christmas time, I was vaping on the bus home after a good night out and before I know it its been snatched away and passed around, I got it back eventually and being a little (a lot!!!) inebriated I continued to puff away. My own fault I know, but within a couple of days I had the worst flu combined with a throat infection, not your regular man flu here but seriously the worst I`ve ever felt. Needless to say no-one touches my e-cig now!!!!

8. tribalmasters

tribalmasters Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Bless his little heart :wub: She should have been more careful shoving things in her mouth that had been in someone elses!

9. Terraphon

Terraphon Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    PROTIP : Someone snatches up MY e-cig, they're getting their face pushed in.

It's a respect thing. Don't be grabbing someone else's junk unless you want to be choking on your own teeth.

10. tribalmasters

tribalmasters Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Oooh if it was my disposable cigar I would be mightily cheesed off!! No one gets in the way of me and my enjoyment of my disposable cigar especially as it has no replaceable end!!

11. Liberate_Yourself

Liberate_Yourself Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Nov 14, 2008
    U.S.
    HAHAHA.. Yup. :D

12. Madisavapor

Madisavapor Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 8, 2009
    UK
    Well, Dr Laugesen did mention this in the report
    "Conclusion. Public health agencies typically advise people not to share drinking glasses
    or cigarettes, due to the risk of cross-infection from lip saliva on the mouth end. This
    advice should be extended to e-cigarettes. ManufacturersÂ’ instructions to users should
    discourage cigarette sharing because of the risk of transfer of meningococcal meningitis,
    tuberculosis and other infectious diseases."

13. Terraphon

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    [​IMG]

Keep the hell away from my Evo.​

14. Liberate_Yourself

Nov 14, 2008
    U.S.
    Hahaha. If that is you, then I doubt you'd have any problems with people snatching your EVO.. :D

15. LaceyUnderall

LaceyUnderall Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 4, 2008
    USA and Canada
    This story is actually good... from a suppliers perspective. Food for thought while re-writing the manual.

We are asked about how long should people reuse their cartridges when using e-liquid. One thing I will say is that way back in the day when smoke51 first made their appearance, they did start pushing the "all in one" nic cartridge/atomizer because of "hygenic" reasons. I always suggest that people use the cartridges no more than 20x's. (I don't teach new users how to clean their cartridges... they can figure this out once they figure out the device) Plus, after enough uses, they don't get the same kind of fit on the atomizer.

However, this is just more reason to make sure that a: you don't share. use leafords idea. b: utilize some of the cleaning methods people have come up with. Just like your toothbrush, you should wash it in the dishwasher or buy a new one after illness.

16. Terraphon

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Yep...'tis me.

I'm just a little feller.

17. smokingclam

smokingclam Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2009
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    If the government decides they want to take away our e-cigs I think we should use this as our fight logo!!

18. dnakr

dnakr Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Definitely a good start. I bet someone would think twice before grabbing an e-cig from him. :)

19. Terraphon

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Problem is that I'm only 4'5" tall.

Not very intimidating up close.

20. Liberate_Yourself

Nov 14, 2008
    U.S.
    LOL. Seriously though, that would be like my friend JD..he is about 5' 9" and built like a tree stump. Stocky little ...., and he does Muay Thai. haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.