Vivi Nova Rebuild tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
I have noticed on one of my vivi mini novas the center post seems slightly crooked now. On the minis I thought the conter post and connection were a solid piece. Do these pop apart somehow?

I'll see for myself during the next rebuild, but wanted to see what you guys have to say. Again these are the Mini nova 2.5ml, same atty head as the larger tank.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
I run a fleet of these - about 10-12. The only one around our house that is crooked is the one my wife dropped.

Yeah I guess I'll see for myself if the center post and connector can come apart. They have to somehow after a simple inspection it's like most atties with the entire outside negative and the center positive sepereated by a type of silicone. I'll let you guys know after i figure it out.

mrelwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Finland, Europe.
On a Vivi Nova Mini the knurled part on the bottom is separate from the bottom plate. Mine started to separate a bit, so I just squeezed it back. I guess I have dropped it a few times. I didn't check, but I would think the center pole is connected to the bottom plate, so if the knurled tank thread is separated on one end it would make the center post seem crooked.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
On a Vivi Nova Mini the knurled part on the bottom is separate from the bottom plate. Mine started to separate a bit, so I just squeezed it back. I guess I have dropped it a few times. I didn't check, but I would think the center pole is connected to the bottom plate, so if the knurled tank thread is separated on one end it would make the center post seem crooked.

The large 3.5 tank is built different than the 2.5 mini vivi nova even though they both take the same size atty head. The smaller mini novas are built different as well and take different length atty heads (much larger/longer). With my mini 2.5 the 510 connector and negetive center post with the threads is a solid complete piece, and the positive post is held inside by a very tight pressure fit plastic and silicone ring. After inspection on my rebuild I found that the positive post is tilted slightly I found is why it looked slightly crooked.

SunRam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
South Africa
WOW! Eventually made it through the whole thread :D Great info here guys, thanks! I have not been able to get my hands on kanthal wire yet, so what I've been doing, is:

Remove silicone cap from head.
Gently pry the silica wick out of the stock vivi coil.
Leave the flimsy stock coil in place.
Cut and roll a piece of cotton round into a wick, barely small enough to thread through the coil.
Trim cotton wick to size.
Replace silicone cap, fill, take a break for 30min aaaand vape away.

It's really been working well, better than stock silica anyway (I've burnt a couple of wicks, by not letting it soak in properly :oops:). I've done this succesfully with 4 heads so far.

Now to find a local supplier of kanthal wire, and I'm set for a long time, since I have 8 Vivi Nova's

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
WOW! Eventually made it through the whole thread :D Great info here guys, thanks! I have not been able to get my hands on kanthal wire yet, so what I've been doing, is:

Cut and roll a piece of cotton round into a wick, barely small enough to thread through the coil.
Trim cotton wick to size.

It's really been working well, better than stock silica anyway (I've burnt a couple of wicks, by not letting it soak in properly :oops:). I've done this succesfully with 4 heads so far.

Now to find a local supplier of kanthal wire, and I'm set for a long time, since I have 8 Vivi Nova's

Improvise and overcome - good job.

SunRam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
South Africa
Here it is on my Young June Lavatube v2

Cotton Wicked Vivi Nova.jpg

Oh, and it's on my son's Toy Story mouse pad :p

mrelwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Finland, Europe.

If the coil has ben used, at this point I recommend a wash, dry burn, wash and another dry burn to get the gunk out from the coil.

The soak in is a bit tedious to wait through, but it is an unfortunate fact that the wick WILL BURN very quickly if not soaked thoroughly. It's annoying when making a new wick, 3 hours of waiting and the wick ended up too thin (burns) or too thick/dense (doesn't wick properly). I guess I should start making several at a time and leave them soaking in a small cup for a day.

SunRam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
South Africa
The soak in is a bit tedious to wait through, but it is an unfortunate fact that the wick WILL BURN very quickly if not soaked thoroughly. It's annoying when making a new wick, 3 hours of waiting and the wick ended up too thin (burns) or too thick/dense (doesn't wick properly). I guess I should start making several at a time and leave them soaking in a small cup for a day.[/QUOTE]

I know, isn't it just the most frustrating thing, waiting, waiting and then epic fail! But I guess practice makes perfect! Problem with making several and pre-soaking, is how will you thread the soaked wick through the coil, since it swells so much as it absorbes liquid?

mrelwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Finland, Europe.
Problem with making several and pre-soaking, is how will you thread the soaked wick through the coil, since it swells so much as it absorbes liquid?

Agreed, that would be next to impossible. I have enough spare heads to install the wick first and then let them soak.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Wait the Vivi Nova rebuildable atty is only $13USD? Is this for the rebuildablew tank or am I looking at the right thing? 5 months ago people were trading rebuildables for $200 what is

Mine was around $14 when I got it months ago. That's for the tank and 3 replaceable heads.

The Vivi Nova is not intended to be a rebuildable, and is priced as a semi-durable unit with consumable parts (the replaceable heads.) It just so happens that the heads are rebuildable, if you have the desire to do so.

That said, there are actual rebuildables that are a bit easier to rebuild, like the A7 for less than $20. There have been a lot of cheap rebuildables coming out lately, but I still prefer the Vivi Nova for it's airflow properties, as I'm very sensitive to overheated e-liquid.

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.
Mine was around $14 when I got it months ago. That's for the tank and 3 replaceable heads.

And its nice to see that now, prices are down to $10-$12, and sometimes less.
Been using my Vision mini since the beginning of Nov. I rotate with other devices and when i clean, i let it rest for a few days.
Only been using the 1.8 head and it won't burn out:toast:
But i do want to get to rebuilding this:mad:

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    And its nice to see that now, prices are down to $10-$12, and sometimes less.
    Been using my Vision mini since the beginning of Nov. I rotate with other devices and when i clean, i let it rest for a few days.
    Only been using the 1.8 head and it won't burn out:toast:
    But i do want to get to rebuilding this:mad:

Got a Vivi Nova V3 and Vivi Nova Mini v3 before xmas cost 7.95 each.

chieftechnicalwizard

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 28, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thank you for posting this I have been curious about actual chamber pictures. They are inexpensive, so, if they are roomy and durable I think all the skills gained here will translate.

The Drunker it's called, it's like a heavy duty vivi nova with ceramic cup, larger grommets and a 5ml tank. Just got this yesterday, really diggin it.
    15cut30percentresized_zpsb0aaee5a.jpg

010_zpsa778adfc.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread