Vivi Nova V3 vs. Smoktech 4.5ml 3.5mm Chrome Stubby

Status
Not open for further replies.

cola_fiend2003

Verified Member
Aug 1, 2012
Brampton ON Canada
I have been using the vivi nova since I discovered it a couple months ago. Love them. Both the 2ml and 3.5 ml. 2.4 Ohms at 4.6v and the flavour is really good. Welllllll...I was at Canvape 4.0 and saw the Smoktech stubby cartimizer. Had to try it out as I read so much about the cartimizer tanks on the site. The guys at Canvape described and showed me how to fill etc this type of tank. Tried it out. A different vape than the vivi. Good flavour too. After I got home, I mixed up a batch of Caramel Cheesecake to test the two types of tanks side by side, on a flavour I had not tried before to get an impartial comparison.

Setup:
Smoktech 4.5ml stubby tank w/ regular sized carto (fits) punched as well, 2.5 ohm.
3.5 ml Vivi Nova 2.4 ohm coil.
Both run at 4.6V on Lambo 4.0 freshly charged battery installed.

Smoktech was 'airy' as I already knew it would be. Still got a full flavoured vape.
Vivi Nova was a tight draw,with lots of vapour. Very full flavoured vape.

IMHO, I like the vivi better when vaped back to back with the Smoktech stubby carto. Going into the test, I thought I would be preferring the Smoktech. I had already used it as set up at the Canvape booth. But the vivi taste was much sharper to me. As well, the physical stability of the two tanks on the VV was two completely different animals. The Smoktech looked good as did the vivi, but the integrity of the tanks when handled, afforded the vivi the upper hand. With all parts being screwed together, the chance of leakage is zero. The Smoktech had the ability to accidentally spill too easily for me. Again, this is my opinion. The Smoktech does vape very well. It is just not for me. I will however continue to use the Smoktech at home. It is a really good tank.
My vivi novas appear to be king for me still. Tank integrity, longevity, rebuildability, ability to clean, all add up to a good product. I will still keep looking to see if I find another type of tank though. Experimentation is always good.
Thanks to Vaptastic and his brother for providing me the info I needed to do this.

Oh..BTW. I fixed my Lambo, Vaptastic as you probably guessed since I used it for this...Easy too.

Attachments

• Brampton-20121027-00005.jpg
    Brampton-20121027-00005.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,359
Last edited:

Audionut02

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2012
Hamilton
Hey cola. Great review. Im a week with the stubby and have mixed feelings about it. I love the look and the size. It works great on all of my pv's without any adapters but really wish the vape was less airy. Not sure as to why.

My biggest issue that maybe you could help with is simply filling it. I take the top cap off, fill and loose half of it out the bottom due to the vacuum it creates. Im wondering if you pull the carto out slightly then put the cap on first?

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
I just ordered a bunch of stubby tanks and extra cartys, and am dam well looking forward to them, after the vivi nova's, i've had every wick, short,long, i'm so sick of fiddling with vivi nova's to make them vape properly, i'm sick of the flavors, they totally mute my juices, ...i could go on and on if you want...i've had it with the VN's, cant stand them. sorry but different vendors, different heads, its been hit and miss and hit and miss for the past week and a half., my friends getting all my vivi nova gear, and i'm looking soooo forward to the STUBBY.

Audionut; smoktech sells this little 3 dollar tank refiller tool. i just saw a video on it, over at youtube, it looks pretty dam cool, as long as you dont pour your juice too fast, check it out:

SmokTech DCT Refiller - YouTube

sgenn99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vivis are great, but they suck up juice so fast. I used nothing but my minis for a few weeks, and decided to switch it up and go back to my little dct on my twist. I dont have a lot of experience with carto tanks, but I have to say I prefer them to wick styles. They seem to perform better, and as long as they stay moist, I dont have to worry about doing the "dip". I dont really know what carto res works best for me yet. Using a 2.5 dual coil and liking it so far. Still...vivi novas are awesome.

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
I use 1.5' ohm dcc on tanks, i guess i'm wierd, because most people like the higher ones, but they just work the best for me on the provari.I like a cooler vape, desserts dont taste good really warm. and i'm like a 90 percent dessert juice freak'.
Vivis are great, but they suck up juice so fast. I used nothing but my minis for a few weeks, and decided to switch it up and go back to my little dct on my twist. I dont have a lot of experience with carto tanks, but I have to say I prefer them to wick styles. They seem to perform better, and as long as they stay moist, I dont have to worry about doing the "dip". I dont really know what carto res works best for me yet. Using a 2.5 dual coil and liking it so far. Still...vivi novas are awesome.

cola_fiend2003

Verified Member
Aug 1, 2012
Brampton ON Canada
Hey cola. Great review. Im a week with the stubby and have mixed feelings about it. I love the look and the size. It works great on all of my pv's without any adapters but really wish the vape was less airy. Not sure as to why.

My biggest issue that maybe you could help with is simply filling it. I take the top cap off, fill and loose half of it out the bottom due to the vacuum it creates. Im wondering if you pull the carto out slightly then put the cap on first?

To fill, I take it off the pv and push on the drip tip a bit until I can pull the cargo out a bit from the bottom end. Remove the tip and pull the cargo down until it clears the top cap. Bend it slightly and it will pop to the side, enough to fill with a squeeze bottle. Re-align the carto to with the top hole and slide it back in.

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
I dont know now, i'm kinda starting to like the vivi's again, some work really good with certain juices and others just dont. its a matter of getting a good head, not a bad one'......'dont go there'....

i love the stubby's still, but they are pretty cheaply made, the top and bottom come on and off wayyyy too easily'.

Powdr

Oct 19, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Oh..BTW. I fixed my Lambo, Vaptastic as you probably guessed since I used it for this...Easy too.

It still amazes me that you were able to find the lost spring, ditch the glasses man, you have unnatural Eagle Eyes!

Yes, you're right if you take off the cap you'll end up pushing liquid around and forcing a leak or two.

This is how you want to fill a "Stubby"
stubby.jpg
Hope that helps you out.

Visit to A&W beforehand is optional.

Last edited:

Audionut02

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2012
Hamilton
It still amazes me that you were able to find the lost spring, ditch the glasses man, you have unnatural Eagle Eyes!

Yes, you're right if you take off the cap you'll end up pushing liquid around and forcing a leak or two.

This is how you want to fill a "Stubby"
View attachment 153459
Hope that helps you out.

Visit to A&W beforehand is optional.

I actually purchased the tank filler from Canvape last order and its been working great. This has been the only tank I had issues with mainly because of the short length. Using it as we speak and have been for weeks now. Off to A&W now.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread