Volcano Lavabox Mini DNA 75 (Initial Thoughts and My Opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schue

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2015
Texas
Hey guys. I have been using the Lavabox Mini DNA 75 for about 2 weeks and I wanted to provide a brief user review for those of you thinking about purchasing one. These are my opinions and review of the device I received. Your mileage may vary.

As you can see in the picture, I am using my Lavabox and a TM24 RDA. I am vaping around 60 - 70 watts in power mode depending on my build. I have been getting the same following results when vaping at 60 watts or 70 watts:

Positives :
Well built mod. Looks great. 510 threads are buttery smooth and fit all of my tanks and RDAs. I really like the small form factor and the mod is built very well. You can even use a 24mm Tank of RDA with just a very slight overhang. Hardly noticable.

Negatives:
1. This thing gets HOT. This device gets extremely hot even after 3 or 4 chain pulls. It also stays hot for quite a while after I stop vaping.

2. Battery life SUCKS. I assume the DNA 75 chip is not as efficient as the DNA40, 133, or 200 chips. I am using the same HG2 20amp 3000mah batteries in all of my DNA devices. To put it in perspective, I chain vape on my DNA 133 with dual 18650s and it will last me all day. I go through 4 of the same 18650s in one day on this device.

3. The groves on the top of the device surrounding the 510 pin collect juice and channel it directly into the 510 connector. These grooves are supposedly made to dissipate heat, but they do not work for that. Please see negative point 1 about the heat.

4. The fire button is extremely mushy. There is not tactile feel and that bugs me. Some of you might not care, but I hate it. The up and down setting buttons are slightly mushy but have somewhat of a tactile feel.

5. This device claims to be pre-configured with the appropriate TC settings. I tested these settings with SS316 and NI200 and they both failed the cotton burn test. I have not yet modified the TC settings in escribe to test further. I was just trying to evaluate whether or not Volcano actually preset this device correctly.

All in all, I would not re-purchase this mod for the $100 price tag.

I am not trying to blast Volcano or this mod. I just wanted to write a quick review because I could not find many reviews on this particular device before I purchased it.

IMG_0046.JPG

Reactions: vapnme

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
You need to get into escribe to see what, if any, preheat you have because that alone can account for the loss of a lot of battery run time. But vaping at that high of watts will no doubt be pushing the board pretty hard. IMO it could/should have been called a 50w device. FWIW evolv rates the efficiency at 85%. That said, using my SMY SDNA in buck mode (TC/Ni200/~0.07 ohm/25w/~400 deg. F/no preheat) I get virtually the same battery run time as an Evic VTC Mini or Presa 75/100.

Schue

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2015
Texas
Cobalt. Thanks for the reply. All good points.

The reason I mentioned testing the preset settings is because many have indicated this mod was preset from the factory for people that use a Mac or other PC that is incompatible with escribe.

I am definitely not upset about my lavabox because I just bought it to play around with it since it was relatively new and something that caught my eye.

Wackyjak

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2012
Florida
I had one, mine worked pretty good. I only used it in tc ti mode. Battery life was good pre heat was low and it never went up over 30w. (had the power set to 40w but it didn't make a difference in tc mode) Mine never got hot I did have to bump the temp up abit to get the same vape as other devices. Buttons were ok IMO. I said had one because just short of a month it stopped working. Screen would light up when connected with usb but battery nothing. In escribe all I got was the black line and it looked like a kid scribbled up and down. Sent it back and they tested it and said it was defective. New one on its way so I will have a Lavabox 75 again. They even sent me a prepaid envelope to send it back. All in all device is ok for how I use it.

smokinGAVIN

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Manila, Philippines
I agree with you Schue about the battery life. I have DNA 75 mods in both single battery and dual battery configurations. I vape at 45 to 50 watts and I also use 4 batteries a day in my single battery DNA 75 mods. Five if I go out drinking at night. When I use my dual battery DNA 75 mods, the two batteries last me the whole day.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
i would think that the hg2 he's using is good for 0.19-0.6 ohms with the dna75, with the 6v cut off. You don't need to be a maths genius to use a calculator
Resistance doesn't matter on a regulated device, the amp draw is determined by the watts and the battery voltage (highest draw at the lowest charge). The formula:

Watts (add 10% to account for device inefficiency) / battery voltage = amps

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Wackyjak

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2012
Florida
My replacement came today a tad late because of the storm. I had to go into escribe and lower the pre heat on the profile I'm using .32ohm 26g ti doesn't take much. I also had to set the tc srceen to show temp instead of flashing "temp control". My first one was already set not to flash that screen. Oh well its all good now so far its a better vape than the one I returned. I have to say Volcanoecigs handled it great.

MikeyConti

VapeBro
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
South Carolina
Any Box Mod with the DNA 75 Board and Single 18650 will run the battery down quick chain vaping at 60W. Or any other Single 18650 mod for that matter.

Look into the DNA 60W board for better battery performance/efficiency, pretty much an upgraded DNA 40 board but with features like being able to program it like the 75/200 with EScribe. Buck/Boost and can deliver 9V instead of 6V like the 75.

Reactions: LMS62

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
I received my Lavabox DNA75 earlier today, and so far....it's a winner. I already have a handful of DNA200 devices, including the Lavabox DNA200 (with the 1300mah battery pack), for my all day vaping, so the battery life on the 75 doesn't bother me a bit.
The reason I bought the mini was for a small, pocketable DNA device that I could throw in my pocket for shorter trips out and about (grocery store, etc). It looks like this little guy will fit the bill perfectly. :thumb:

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
I received my Lavabox DNA75 earlier today, and so far....it's a winner. I already have a handful of DNA200 devices, including the Lavabox DNA200 (with the 1300mah battery pack), for my all day vaping, so the battery life on the 75 doesn't bother me a bit.
The reason I bought the mini was for a small, pocketable DNA device that I could throw in my pocket for shorter trips out and about (grocery store, etc). It looks like this little guy will fit the bill perfectly. :thumb:

How is that Lavabox DNA200 (with the 1300mah battery pack) ?

I have been eyeing that Mod but I was concerned it would be too big with extra battery back?

Keep in mind I haven't seen the reg one outside of pictures so I really don't have a starting point.

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
How is that Lavabox DNA200 (with the 1300mah battery pack) ?

I have been eyeing that Mod but I was concerned it would be too big with extra battery back?

Keep in mind I haven't seen the reg one outside of pictures so I really don't have a starting point.
Overall I like it. With the 1300mah battery pack, I can chain vape it at 50 to 55 watts and get about 7 hours out of it. As far as size, the bigger battery pack adds almost a half inch to the width, but it is still comfortable in the hand (it's about the same size as the original Segelei 150w, except for being a quarter inch shorter in height).

I do think though that with the 1300mah pack, some may not like the overall battery life compared to the increase in size, but I personally don't have an issue with it.

Reactions: vjc0628
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread