Voltage and Voltage under load, what can I make of these two values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McAldo

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
London
I own a lovely VV box mod with display.
With a carto screwed in it gives me the voltage and when I fire another value for the voltage under load.
For instance, 7.9 and then 7.4 under load.

I know the difference between two values can tell me something about my batteries state, perhpas the internal resistance, and maybe something else.

I know very little about electronics.
Could somebody please explain me if comparing this value is actually useful?

McAldo

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
London
I just read a post about that very thing.
Loaded and unloaded battery voltages are two of the variables for calculating internal battery resistance.
The other variable needed is load resistance.
I'll find the post and come back to give you the link.

Thanks, there is so much ifno around that sometimes is complicated to find :D

McAldo

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
London
Here ya go:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/275857-my-provari-went-up-smoke-2.html

Post #14, should be the fourth from the top on this page.

Thanks, just what I was looking for :)
Pity my vv doesn't give me the atty resistance too.
I checked a few with a voltmeter and they can sometimes diverge significantly from the declared value.
So it's a 2 steps process for me.
Checking atty resistance and then check voltage no load/under load, at least the first time.
Unless my meter can simply check that for me on the batteries, need to check.

Thanks,
Much appreciated.

tobarger

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2010
NorthCoastOhio
The Provari gives you unloaded battery voltage and atomizer resistance, but no battery under load.
You can use a digital ohm meter for atomizer resistance but the meter also has internal resistance.
Mine has a "Relative" button.
1) Before measuring the atomizer, hold the probes together.
2) The meter will display the meters internal resistance usually about .3 or .4 ohm.
3) Push the "Relative" button, the meter now will read "Zero".
4) Now measure the atomizer resistance.

Good Luck
Latter

Last edited:

McAldo

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
London
Ohh, I see. Thanks.
I never stop learning.
I think my meter has no relative button, I'll give it a go now.
I don't own a provari.
To be honest, if I used a provari probably I wouldn't be too worried about batteries health as the thing keeps checking them continuously, or so I understood.
But the thread you pointed me too also shows that I am probably wrong, I should be worried anyway :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I own a lovely VV box mod with display.
With a carto screwed in it gives me the voltage and when I fire another value for the voltage under load.
For instance, 7.9 and then 7.4 under load.

I know the difference between two values can tell me something about my batteries state, perhpas the internal resistance, and maybe something else.

I know very little about electronics.
Could somebody please explain me if comparing this value is actually useful?

What you are seeing is normal. A battery will drop voltage slightly under load just like you see a dimming of headlights if you try to crank your car with them on. Mods that don't drop voltage under load are compensating using a voltage regulator to do so. These mods have booster circuits that can give you up to 6 volts from a 3.7v battery using special circuitry designed to do that. A mechanical mod is dependent on the current delivery capability of the battery to maintain voltage when the atomizer is loading it down.

The two numbers could be valuable to know if you write them down when you begin using a new battery and compare them as the battery ages. You sense of taste will alert you to the fact that something is going on if a battery drops too much voltage under load, though. The numbers will confirm it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The Provari gives you unloaded battery voltage and atomizer resistance, but no battery under load.
You can use a digital ohm meter for atomizer resistance but the meter also has internal resistance.
Mine has a "Relative" button.
1) Before measuring the atomizer, hold the probes together.
2) The meter will display the meters internal resistance usually about .3 or .4 ohm.
3) Push the "Relative" button, the meter now will read "Zero".
4) Now measure the atomizer resistance.

Good Luck
Latter

My Provari V2 sizzles the atomizer while doing the check battery routine. It's loading and reading the battery voltage. I get 3.8v typically on a freshly charged 18650 2000mah batt.

BTW, I miss my Fluke 87 meter since I retired. I wanted to take it with me but the boss said I had to have a company branded meter in the tool bag when I turned it in. I couldn't find my old Simpson digital so I gave back the Fluke. A few months later I found the Simpson digital in a drawer! Oh well, I have a Simpson digital meter to play with around the house.

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.

McAldo

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
London
No problem:
1) The meter must be a digital meter
2) Touch the probes together
3) Whatever the meter reads is what must be subtracted from the reading while measuring your atomizer resistance

Brilliant, thanks !
I was wondering if that could be the case and was about to send youa message about it, but you beat me to it :)

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
A lot of LT owners are unaware of it, but the LT will give you loaded voltage as well.
Press the pwr button 6 (or however many) times to display unloaded voltage.
Press the fire button
Press the pwr button again and it'll change the display to loaded voltage.

That's cool it gives you the loaded voltage of the battery..good tip :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread