Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Do you prefer vaping on watts or volts? why? I prefer watts myself bc I feel I get better flavor and more vapor :):vapor::2cool:

As brickfollet said, 'People are guaranteed to argue about that one forever'.

Having said that, here are a few facts. Vape is all about the watts. But it's not that simple. Nothing ever is, is it :)

So let me re-phrase it. Vape is more accurately defined by watts than volts. Watts is power, or in vape terms the amount of heat the coil will put out per second. Here's an online Ohm's law calculator. All the following numbers come from there. Fill in 2 known variables and the other 2 unknown are calculated when you click on calculate.

With a 2 ohm coil at 3.7 volts you get 6.845 watts.
With a 3 ohm coil at 4.53 volts you get 6.845 watts.

Both these vape setups will give you about the same vape experience because the watts are the same.

With a 2 ohm coil at 3.7 volts you get 6.845 watts.
With a 3 ohm coil at 3.7 volts you get 4.56 watts.

So, the same voltage with different coil resistance gives you different watts (power). The 2 ohm coil will make more flavor and vapor than the 3 ohm coil because the power (watts) is higher with the lower resistance coil.

Set 7.0 watts with a 2 ohm coil or 7.0 watts with a 3 ohm coil and the watts are the same for both scenarios. What the e-cig does is change the voltage to make the 7 watts happen. The vape remains about the same with both setups.

In the end it doesn't matter what you set, volts or watts, what matters is the watts you're vaping.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
Think its all in your head about the flavor.

Its still heating the coil the same, just one goes by out put (watts) and the other goes by input (volts).

If you put in 12 Watts the device will do the math and adjust your volts to give you that 12watt output. If you do the math yourself and set the mod to that volt it will be the same vape.

On my VV/VW mod i stay in volts.

blaine0512

Feb 22, 2014
south georgia
Think its all in your head about the flavor.

Its still heating the coil the same, just one goes by out put (watts) and the other goes by input (volts).

If you put in 12 Watts the device will do the math and adjust your volts to give you that 12watt output. If you do the math yourself and set the mod to that volt it will be the same vape.

On my VV/VW mod i stay in volts.

lol You are probably right about the whole flavor thing but I'm new the world of vaping and I'm trying to understand what part watts, ohms, resistance, volds,mahs, and so on and so forth play in the whole vaping experience. I essentially really don't know much at all. Ii know the basics like how to change your atomizer, fill your tank, clean it, and stuff like that so if anyone here would like to tutor me on this stuff it would be greatly appreciated :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Do you prefer vaping on watts or volts? why? I prefer watts myself bc I feel I get better flavor and more vapor :):vapor::2cool:

On my vamo, I usually have it set on watts; the voltage setting has a finer adjustment, so if I want to use volts instead, I hold down the + button to see what the ohms is first, estimate the volts, then swith to voltage mode.

Sometime I just want to set volts to the nominal 3.7 volts;

From what I understand, the vamo and many other apv's actually use a 6 volt output, but pulse it to 6; I just need to figure out whether to bottom side of that is 0, 3, or maybe its 3.7 or whatever the battery voltage is.. not sure; but anyway, I'd be curious to build a coil at just the right ohms to work with flat voltage output from the vamo; I should be able to get a flat 6 volts

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Personally, I like to vape on 1.21 gigawatts........it's hit or miss tho, cuz I never know when lightning is gonna strike.:vapor:

Diagram of your tri-coil...we will lovingly refer to it as the "flux capacitor" :D

Drawing+of+a+working+model+of+flux+capacitor.jpg

BCRich2204

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Texas
My vape is watts because it self adjusts, especially when carbon builds up on the coils changing up the resistance.

I understand where you are coming from, but technically, build up on the coil does not change the electrical resistance of the coil. The battery doesn't see a difference. However, your eJuice does. As gunk builds up, it insulates the coil from your eJuice, requiring more power to deliver the same vape.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
lol You are probably right about the whole flavor thing but I'm new the world of vaping and I'm trying to understand what part watts, ohms, resistance, volds,mahs, and so on and so forth play in the whole vaping experience. I essentially really don't know much at all. Ii know the basics like how to change your atomizer, fill your tank, clean it, and stuff like that so if anyone here would like to tutor me on this stuff it would be greatly appreciated :)
Oh don't sweat it...we all started off as beginners ;)

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Personally, I like to vape on 1.21 gigawatts........it's hit or miss tho, cuz I never know when lightning is gonna strike.:vapor:

Oh, you must be using the Gi2 with one of those new nuclear fission batteries! With a .01 ohm coil I bet your going through 2 ml's per drag on that baby!

Haha one day...

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I have found no difference at all when looking at just those two issues. I have found differences between devices though, and out of my two favorite vapes (smoothness, mainly), one is VV (very well known) and the other is VW (pretty much unknown).

I have others of both variations that don't compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread