The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

volts/watts

Discussion in 'CanVape' started by maritimer, Jan 29, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. maritimer

maritimer Full Member

Dec 4, 2012
    saint john,n.b.
    what is the difference vaping in voltage settings or watts?

2. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    VV will keep the output voltage the same, even if the resistance of the atomizer or cartomizer changes, and as batteries deplete.
    VW will keep the total power (watts) the same, even if you change the resistance, and as batteries deplete.

Watts = Voltage x Voltage / Resistance

Both approaches can work well, IF the regulation (whether V or W) is good. VW is technically superior in that it will keep the heat (power, watts) the same as resistance changes, although at a practical level I don't know that it matters much. Realistically, at least the cartos/atties I use don't change all that much over any given span of time, other than for something having a sudden failure (atty pop).

Some lower end regulated devices don't work quite as well, have difficulty maintaining the set voltage/wattage, but well regulated devices will indeed maintain right up until you need to swap batteries.

3. maritimer

maritimer Full Member

Dec 4, 2012
    saint john,n.b.
    Thanks for the info. Am i understanding correctly that if in wattage setting it will adjust the voltage according to the atty resistance.

4. VIPOD

VIPOD Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2010
    NB,Canada
    In layman's terms...VV is driving stick, VW is driving automatic.

With the advent of more VW mods, it's become so much easier to find your perfect vape, and not worry about the atty or carto ohms as much, just set your preferred wattage and vape.

This might be useful for you to figure out your vaping sweet spot:
    Ohm's Law Calculator

5. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Yes, with VW the device adjusts the voltage based on resistance, using W = V x V / R. All VW devices have to monitor the Resistance, to keep the Voltage right.

6. maritimer

maritimer Full Member

Dec 4, 2012
    saint john,n.b.
    Thanks again guys, this info is great. Had heard a lot about the VV/VW with the evic and such, just didn't understand the difference.

7. pdqservi77

pdqservi77 Full Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Blackie, AB, Canada
    Thanks VIPOD ......... been looking for a simple explanation for a while.
    Be nice if more people would use Layman's terms at the start of their explanation.

8. VIPOD

VIPOD Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2010
    NB,Canada
    Well thanks, I'm a visual person by nature, so anything in life/work that makes explanations all that more real is a bonus.:thumb:

Keep those questions coming, so many knowledgeable vapers here to help....I learn something new everyday even after 3yrs plus at this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.