Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hi,

Today a new DRAG by Voopoo, the Drag 3. The latest dual battery DRAG box-mod was the Drag 2 and that has been already over 2 years ago. Inside the Drag 3 kit you will receive the newly released TPP pod-tank and coils.

Thank you @VOOPOO_Thea l for sending me this kit for review.

Specifications:

Packaging:

Drag 3 Device
TPP Pod Tank
TPP-DM2 0.2ohm
TPP-DM1 0.15ohm
Type-C USB Cable
User Manual

Review:

First impression is that this mod is entirely different from the Drag 1 and 2. The Drag 1 and 2 were quite similar, but this one is not. Drag 3 is made from Zinc alloy with a nice leather finish. It is quite a light-weight dual battery box mod weighing ************ grams. Leather feels nice and the device is very comfortable both thumb and index finger fire.

Not a big fan of the branding on it though. We are used to large DRAG markings on the Drag series, but this one additionally has DRAG written on a badge in the top side part of the mod, not necessary for me. Still, this color version looks beautiful, love the silver/stainless steel metallic parts that match up very well with the leather pattern.

Regular ‘DRAG Fire-buttons’ which are just great, they click nicely and do not rattle. Just like with any Gene chip device it fires up extremely fast.

Slide and open/close battery door feels quite solid, does not rattle much when opened. On the inside of the battery door will be the battery + and – marking which help figuring out which way to put your batteries. Just like Drag 1 and 2 it takes dual 18650.

On the top you will find a 510-plate that sticks out minimally, it does not create a noticeable gap between the tank and mod. 510-pin is gold-plated, and spring loaded. Happy they did not put any branding on the top.

On the front you will find a large screen that covers almost the whole width of the device. A very nice and vibrant screen as always on Voopoo devices. You can change the theme by holding the up and down button, Iron (horizontally) or Core (vertically). No option to change colors on this one. On the screen you will find all required information, and I am happy to see dual battery indication.

Out of the box this Drag 3 is much less functional than the Drag 1 and 2. It out of the box only has VW mode (Smart and RBA mode), but you are able to get TC mode on this device with the help of a firmware upgrade. I find it a bit strange that TC is not included as default thought, and that the user will need to go through the pain of doing a firmware upgrade.

Smart mode is useful when using the stock TPP coils as it will identify the coil and set the right wattage, also it will block going over the recommended wattage. This is always a good feature as it supports in not accidentally burning your coils. When in RBA mode and going over 80W it will automatically change to ‘SUPER’ mode, this mode is supposed to support in getting bigger clouds. As I am not much into vaping over such high wattage I cannot say if it really does make a difference, but I doubt.

177W is the maximum you will get which is more than acceptable for a dual 18650. It does not round-robin at 177W which is a bummer, but overall is scroll fast in 1W increments. Below a short description on what you can do with the DRAG 3 with the out of the box software:

· 5 x fire-button = power on/off
· 3x fire-button while on = change between Smart, RBA/Super mode
· Hold fire-button and up button = lock/unlock the device
· Hold fire-button and down button = reset puff-counter
· Hold up and down button = change between two theme, Iron and Core

Overall conclusion is that out of the box it is very limited. If you are just into VW, great you are ready to go out of the box, but if you use curves/TC/Voltage you will be disappointed.

Gene chip still has still the same issue (at least I find this annoying), when locking the device, you are not able to fire it. In my opinion on Gene chip devices locking is the same as turning off really.

Device does have USB-C which is always a plus. However, I never charge a dual-battery mod through the USB port, always out of the box on an external battery charger. But it’s good because nowadays so many devices are converting to USB-C, easy to find a cable somewhere.

As said, a new pod-type with new coils. I think Voopoo wanted to create a taller and larger capacity pod and therefor invented the TPP pod and coils. Pods are nice and transparent and hold proper amount of 5.5ML. Coils are larger than PnP and are not cross-compatible.

Bottom fill plug can be easily opened, and the fill port is OK in size for most bottle tips. I think they could have gone with top fill on this pod, but maybe esthetic wise it wasn't of their liking. Metallic parts on the pod match in color with the metallic parts of the mod.

Both pod and 510-pod adapter make a strong magnetic connection. Bottom airflow ring turns smoothly and provides lots of airflow. It does not have a stopper, but the ring sits tight enough for it to bot easily spin around. I would have preferred if the diameter of the entire pod with be the same, for me it looks a bit weird with its thinner bottom.

I was happy to see that this pod has a replaceable 810-drip tip but was a bit disappointed to see that it only counts for drip-tips with O-rings. Pretty much all my drip-tips are without O-rings as they are from tanks with O-rings built-in the top-connector. Voopoo should have done the same thing, an integrated O-ring inside the top of the tank.

Idea of these new TPP Coils is kind of like PnP, bottom plug coils that will be cross compatible. Both 0.15 and 0.2ohm have two large bone-shaped wicking ports, in total cotton coverage is larger than regular mesh coils. This can result in two possibilities; leaking issues or very saturated flavorful vape.

Cannot complain about the vape on these coils, for me these coils are better than the PnP coils. First, the flavor is better and second, the coils don’t get dirty so quickly, something I don’t like about the PnP coils (too little cotton). The large bone shaped wicking holes make sure that chain vaping is no problem at all, also did not experience any leaking issues with these coils.

Airflow of the TPP tank is a bit turbulent and when closing it off more than half it whistles quite a bit. Such a pity as the coils are good, the airflow is not in my opinion. Overall, I think it would have been nice if a proper mesh tank was included, and not this pod adapter thingy. Good news is that you don’t have to buy the whole kit.

Conclusion:

Design wise I am more a fan of the Drag 3 than on its earlier releases, but I find the Drag 1 and 2 better functionalities wise. Drag 3 to me is almost exactly the same as the Drag Max, but with a 510-platform on it. I think Voopoo could have invested more time on getting the chip right on this one.

New TPP tank vapes nicely and the new coils are a winner compared to the PnP line, just the loud and whistly airflow is a bummer.

Pro’s:

- Looks beautiful
- Light weight
- Ergonomically shaped
- Battery-door feels solid
- Proper buttons
- USB-C
- Fires up instantly
- Smart mode always good
- TPP coils are an improvement compared to PnP
- Proper tank capacity

Con’s:

- Limited functionalities out of the box (need firmware upgrade for more)
- Not able to lock and vape
- New TPP tank is loud and whistly
- Bit too much branding
- Only compatible with 810 drip-tips with O-rings

Thank you for taking your time to read my review, appreciate it.

Take care,

Sjoerd

Shadowtao

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Over There
I have one. I bought it with high hopes as I have and love other VooPoo mods. This one, I rarely use. It's a great mod functionality, but it's like holding a metal brick. I have big hands but just don't like how it feels.. They made it too big, heavy and uncomfortable. The squared off edge doesn't feel right on this big mod. So it will sit unused and be a back up mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread