Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hiya,

Today the next 21700 single battery mod, the Drag X Plus. Like the fact that there is plenty of 21700 battery mods being developed lately, enough choice.

Also a new type of coil has been designed, finally something else than PnP. In the kit you also get a new pod tank included adapter, kind of similar as in the Argus kit. Already received the same pod/coils on my review on the Drag 3, so to this review I will just be copy/pasting my thoughts on the tank.

Thank you @VOOPOO_Thea for sending me this kit for review.

Specifications:

Packaging:

Drag X plus Device
TPP Pod tank (5.5ml)
TPP-DM1 Coil, 0.15ohm
TPP-DM2 Coil, 0.2ohm
Type-C Cable
User Manual

Review:

It looks very much like the original Drag X, main difference is that the Plus is not a pod-mod but a 510-mod. The materials used feel proper and the leather finish gives it a nice warm grip. Leather flows into the metal frame nicely making it look properly finished. As we have winter now, the metal frame on this device is cold, can't remember a device this cold.

For me personally there is a bit too much branding going on with Drag X Plus on the leather, DRAG right above it on the frame, Voopoo and Gene chip on the side. Also, on top of the pod there is some more branding, 'DESIGNED BY VOOPOO, and 'ADAPT TPP COILS' It would have been sufficient for me to just have DRAG on the leather.

See below a size comparison with some of the 21700 mod’s I have reviewed lately, in the middle the Drag X plus, on the right the Augvape Foxy One and on the left the LostVape Grus. As you can clearly see, size-wise it is smaller than the Grus and similar to the Foxy One. The Drag X Plus however is by far the lightest of the three.

It has one of those slide-door systems which I am not a fan of. This one feels quite ok and when a battery is inserted it sits in place well. It is a matter of going careful when the door is open to not snap it off. Only battery marking is on the inside of the door (-), which for me is clear enough. Fact that it is taking a 21700 battery is just thumbs up. Included adapter allows also for 18650 batteries.

Buttons are the familiar Voopoo buttons as on previous devices such as the Drag S and Drag X. I like these buttons, they react well and click nicely, no rattling whatsoever. The circular shape makes it feel as is if the fire-button adjusts to the finger.

A large and colorful screen clearly shows all details. Gene is one of my favorite Chips if its about ease of use and firespeed. On this mod you can actually not do that much, its all about wattage, either in RBA (no limitation) or Smart mode (limited wattage dependent on the coil). Smart mode is very useful for the stock coils, they give this little extra protection not burning your coils by accident due to too high wattage.

It is easy to navigate through the device; below are the different things you can do with the buttons:

5x fire-button = turn on/off the device
3x fire-button while on = switch between RBA and SMART mode
Fire-button + up = lock/unlock the device
Fire-button + down = reset puff-counter
Hold up and down = switch between UI (Iron or Core)

Overall, not much for a 21700 mod, and I am not sure if a firmware update will allow for more functionality. Like all Gene chips locking the device also locks the fire-button, so its quite useless, same as turning off really. Ability to change between the horizontal and vertical lay-out is a nice addition. It would have been nice if it was also color-adjustable and brightness adjustable. The brightness is more than enough, but adjustability is always nice.

Already described this exact same tank and coils on my Drag 3 review, so below is a simple copy-paste.

As said, a new pod-type with new coils. I think Voopoo wanted to create a taller and larger capacity pod and therefor invented the TPP pod and coils. Pods are nice and transparent and hold proper amount of 5.5ML. Coils are larger than PnP and are not cross-compatible.

Bottom fill plug can be easily opened, and the fill port is OK in size for most bottle tips. I think they could have gone with top fill on this pod, but maybe esthetic wise it wasn't of their liking. Metallic parts on the pod match in color with the metallic parts of the mod.

Both pod and 510-pod adapter make a strong magnetic connection. Bottom airflow ring turns smoothly and provides lots of airflow. It does not have a stopper, but the ring sits tight enough for it to bot easily spin around. I would have preferred if the diameter of the entire pod with be the same, for me it looks a bit weird with its thinner bottom.

I was happy to see that this pod has a replaceable 810-drip tip but was a bit disappointed to see that it only counts for drip-tips with O-rings. Pretty much all my drip-tips are without O-rings as they are from tanks with O-rings built-in the top-connector. Voopoo should have done the same thing, an integrated O-ring inside the top of the tank.

Idea of these new TPP Coils is kind of like PnP, bottom plug coils that will be cross compatible. Both 0.15 and 0.2ohm have two large bone-shaped wicking ports, in total cotton coverage is larger than regular mesh coils. This can result in two possibilities; leaking issues or very saturated flavorful vape.

Cannot complain about the vape on these coils, for me these coils are better than the PnP coils. First, the flavor is better and second, the coils don’t get dirty so quickly, something I don’t like about the PnP coils (too little cotton). The large bone shaped wicking holes make sure that chain vaping is no problem at all, also did not experience any leaking issues with these coils.

Airflow of the TPP tank is a bit turbulent and when closing it off more than half it whistles quite a bit. Such a pity as the coils are good, the airflow is not in my opinion. Overall, I think it would have been nice if a proper mesh tank was included, and not this pod adapter thingy. Good news is that you don’t have to buy the whole kit.

Conclusion:

A small, light weight 21700 mod that will suffice if you are just into wattage vaping. Gene chip as always fires up like a beast. It feels like a solidly made mod with a nice large screen. You see and feel that Voopoo took special attention in making this device small, lightweight and portable.

The new TPP tank and coils are an upgrade to the PnP, providing better flavor and longer lasting coils.

Pro’s:

- Overall machining is proper
- Lays very comfortably in the hand
- Light weight and small for a 21700
- 21700-compatibility
- Gene Chip fires up instantly
- Large and bright screen
- Smart mode is a nice feature
- USB-C
- TPP coils are an improvement compared to PnP
- Proper tank capacity
- Very proper flavor and clouds

Con’s:

- Bit too much branding
- Limited to wattage only
- Airflow is a bit loud
- Tank only compatible with 810 drip-tips with O-ring
- Not able to lock and vape

Thanks a lot for reading, let me know if you have any questions!

Take care,

Sjoerd

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Hiya,

Today the next 21700 single battery mod, the Drag X Plus. Like the fact that there is plenty of 21700 battery mods being developed lately, enough choice.

Also a new type of coil has been designed, finally something else than PnP. In the kit you also get a new pod tank included adapter, kind of similar as in the Argus kit. Already received the same pod/coils on my review on the Drag 3, so to this review I will just be copy/pasting my thoughts on the tank.

Thank you @VOOPOO_Thea for sending me this kit for review.

Specifications:

Packaging:

Drag X plus Device
TPP Pod tank (5.5ml)
TPP-DM1 Coil, 0.15ohm
TPP-DM2 Coil, 0.2ohm
Type-C Cable
User Manual

Review:

It looks very much like the original Drag X, main difference is that the Plus is not a pod-mod but a 510-mod. The materials used feel proper and the leather finish gives it a nice warm grip. Leather flows into the metal frame nicely making it look properly finished. As we have winter now, the metal frame on this device is cold, can't remember a device this cold.

For me personally there is a bit too much branding going on with Drag X Plus on the leather, DRAG right above it on the frame, Voopoo and Gene chip on the side. Also, on top of the pod there is some more branding, 'DESIGNED BY VOOPOO, and 'ADAPT TPP COILS' It would have been sufficient for me to just have DRAG on the leather.

See below a size comparison with some of the 21700 mod’s I have reviewed lately, in the middle the Drag X plus, on the right the Augvape Foxy One and on the left the LostVape Grus. As you can clearly see, size-wise it is smaller than the Grus and similar to the Foxy One. The Drag X Plus however is by far the lightest of the three.

It has one of those slide-door systems which I am not a fan of. This one feels quite ok and when a battery is inserted it sits in place well. It is a matter of going careful when the door is open to not snap it off. Only battery marking is on the inside of the door (-), which for me is clear enough. Fact that it is taking a 21700 battery is just thumbs up. Included adapter allows also for 18650 batteries.

Buttons are the familiar Voopoo buttons as on previous devices such as the Drag S and Drag X. I like these buttons, they react well and click nicely, no rattling whatsoever. The circular shape makes it feel as is if the fire-button adjusts to the finger.

A large and colorful screen clearly shows all details. Gene is one of my favorite Chips if its about ease of use and firespeed. On this mod you can actually not do that much, its all about wattage, either in RBA (no limitation) or Smart mode (limited wattage dependent on the coil). Smart mode is very useful for the stock coils, they give this little extra protection not burning your coils by accident due to too high wattage.

It is easy to navigate through the device; below are the different things you can do with the buttons:

5x fire-button = turn on/off the device
3x fire-button while on = switch between RBA and SMART mode
Fire-button + up = lock/unlock the device
Fire-button + down = reset puff-counter
Hold up and down = switch between UI (Iron or Core)

Overall, not much for a 21700 mod, and I am not sure if a firmware update will allow for more functionality. Like all Gene chips locking the device also locks the fire-button, so its quite useless, same as turning off really. Ability to change between the horizontal and vertical lay-out is a nice addition. It would have been nice if it was also color-adjustable and brightness adjustable. The brightness is more than enough, but adjustability is always nice.

Already described this exact same tank and coils on my Drag 3 review, so below is a simple copy-paste.

As said, a new pod-type with new coils. I think Voopoo wanted to create a taller and larger capacity pod and therefor invented the TPP pod and coils. Pods are nice and transparent and hold proper amount of 5.5ML. Coils are larger than PnP and are not cross-compatible.

Bottom fill plug can be easily opened, and the fill port is OK in size for most bottle tips. I think they could have gone with top fill on this pod, but maybe esthetic wise it wasn't of their liking. Metallic parts on the pod match in color with the metallic parts of the mod.

Both pod and 510-pod adapter make a strong magnetic connection. Bottom airflow ring turns smoothly and provides lots of airflow. It does not have a stopper, but the ring sits tight enough for it to bot easily spin around. I would have preferred if the diameter of the entire pod with be the same, for me it looks a bit weird with its thinner bottom.

I was happy to see that this pod has a replaceable 810-drip tip but was a bit disappointed to see that it only counts for drip-tips with O-rings. Pretty much all my drip-tips are without O-rings as they are from tanks with O-rings built-in the top-connector. Voopoo should have done the same thing, an integrated O-ring inside the top of the tank.

Idea of these new TPP Coils is kind of like PnP, bottom plug coils that will be cross compatible. Both 0.15 and 0.2ohm have two large bone-shaped wicking ports, in total cotton coverage is larger than regular mesh coils. This can result in two possibilities; leaking issues or very saturated flavorful vape.

Cannot complain about the vape on these coils, for me these coils are better than the PnP coils. First, the flavor is better and second, the coils don’t get dirty so quickly, something I don’t like about the PnP coils (too little cotton). The large bone shaped wicking holes make sure that chain vaping is no problem at all, also did not experience any leaking issues with these coils.

Airflow of the TPP tank is a bit turbulent and when closing it off more than half it whistles quite a bit. Such a pity as the coils are good, the airflow is not in my opinion. Overall, I think it would have been nice if a proper mesh tank was included, and not this pod adapter thingy. Good news is that you don’t have to buy the whole kit.

Conclusion:

A small, light weight 21700 mod that will suffice if you are just into wattage vaping. Gene chip as always fires up like a beast. It feels like a solidly made mod with a nice large screen. You see and feel that Voopoo took special attention in making this device small, lightweight and portable.

The new TPP tank and coils are an upgrade to the PnP, providing better flavor and longer lasting coils.

Pro’s:

- Overall machining is proper
- Lays very comfortably in the hand
- Light weight and small for a 21700
- 21700-compatibility
- Gene Chip fires up instantly
- Large and bright screen
- Smart mode is a nice feature
- USB-C
- TPP coils are an improvement compared to PnP
- Proper tank capacity
- Very proper flavor and clouds

Con’s:

- Bit too much branding
- Limited to wattage only
- Airflow is a bit loud
- Tank only compatible with 810 drip-tips with O-ring
- Not able to lock and vape

Thanks a lot for reading, let me know if you have any questions!

Take care,

Sjoerd

Good review buddy.

Hopefully i will get me one of these from the giveaway,i know i won but i still don't know if it's this model (the one i prefer) or the dual battery.

Quick question,what did you mean about ''- Not able to lock and vape''?

When you lock it the fire button+wattage adjusting locks up right?
Just asking because back when i had my Swag 80w+Wasp Nano RTA i never bothered locking it and one day while carrying it in my man bag it seems that the fire button was pressed against something.
Ended up burning part of the top cap of the Wasp Nano RTA,had to use a cutter to get it out of the knurling hehe.

Reactions: SP013

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Good review buddy.

Hopefully i will get me one of these from the giveaway,i know i won but i still don't know if it's this model (the one i prefer) or the dual battery.

Just asking because back when i had my Swag 80w+Wasp Nano RTA i never bothered locking it and one day while carrying it in my man bag it seems that the fire button was pressed against something.
Ended up burning part of the top cap of the Wasp Nano RTA,had to use a cutter to get it out of the knurling hehe.
Thank you for your reply.
What I mean is that you are not able to vape while the device ia locked, something that is possible on most devices. Locking in my opinion should only lock the up and down button assuring the user is not accidentially changing the wattge without knowing. On Voopoo Gene chip devices locking is exactly the same as turning it off really, you simply cannot use it.

• Useful
Reactions: Javichu

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Good review buddy.

And whichever you will receive, both are great devices in my opinion. Am especially a fan of the Drag 3 which is the dual battery version. Did a review for that one as well: Voopoo Drag 3 Review

• Useful
Reactions: Javichu

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Thank you for your reply.
    What I mean is that you are not able to vape while the device ia locked, something that is possible on most devices. Locking in my opinion should only lock the up and down button assuring the user is not accidentially changing the wattge without knowing. On Voopoo Gene chip devices locking is exactly the same as turning it off really, you simply cannot use it.

I can’t remember which one but know at least one I’ve tried that you could do both lock just the adjustment buttons or everything. I’m sure it wasn’t a voopoo product though.

SP013

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 14, 2019
    Warsaw, Poland
    I can’t remember which one but know at least one I’ve tried that you could do both lock just the adjustment buttons or everything. I’m sure it wasn’t a voopoo product though.
    No, I think that was the Oxva Velocity or Vandy Vape Gaur? For sure not a Voopoo Gene chip device.

Reactions: hittman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread