Voopoo Drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
There is a new mod out, by Voopoo called the Drag, or Drag 157W (which happens to be its max wattage).
It looks like a simple, but not unattractive design.....the standard dual 18650 box with some accents and beveling on the corners and edges. One panel is carbon fiber, the other side has the mod name "Drag" covering the whole panel.

I'm happy to see a company back away from the "200 watts" on 2x18650 cells. I'm also curious about the claimed "fastest firing chip in the world" (claimed firing time 0.025 seconds). Would like to see how that stacks up side by side with a dna mod. Here are the listed specs:
Power: 5-157W

Battery: 2 x 18650 (Support balance charging

whatever brand batteries)

Size: 90 x 54 x 24mm

Color: Black with white / Black with red

Lowest Resistance in Power mode: 0.05Ω

Lowest Resistance in TC mode: 0.05Ω

New function: Super Mode and Power

compensation mode.

TC MODE: SS, NI, TI,NC, TCR, CCR

Based upon the width, it looks like this mod can take up to a 24mm tank with no overhang.
a3908581197b87562ed8615bc2113a77.jpg
7f784763065bd5e6104e12994a1af1c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Reactions: Opinionated

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
First thoughts after having this in my hands for a couple of hours:

> Very solid build quality. Not a rattle to be found anywhere. The battery door has an ever so slight wiggle if I press on it hard and try to move it but under normal use it’s rattle and wiggle free.

> Like the red carbon fiberish look. Wish that was done for the battery door as well.

> More comfortable to hold/use than I expected given the boxy form factor. No, it won't win any awards for ergonomics or styling, but it's not too bad usability-wise.

> No problems at all updating the firmware and changing some parameters using their software. Simple and straightforward.

> Simple to navigate the menu system and switch between wattage (or voltage, which is a new feature with the updated firmware) and TC materials.

On the downside, not having the best of luck with TC performance so far – very anemic. But, only using the presets. Need to fiddle with it a lot more before I can form an opinion as to performance. No problems at all in wattage and voltage modes.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
So I have one of these in hand. I was surprised by the fit and finish on it. Build quality feels more high end then expected. Mod has some heft to it, not a throw in your shirt pocket mod. But I've always preferred some weight to my mods.
Chip does seem to fire fast [emoji4]
Been using it in TC with SS coils with no issues at factory settings (mod does have the ability to adjust both TCR and the set coil resistance for further fine tuning if needed).
A neat feature....the mod automatically puts you into the correct wattage range (wattage mode) based upon the coil resistance.
A pleasant surprise, the mod has true balance charging. In use, you only see a single battery meter, but if hooked up to the charger, after being idle for a bit the screen will show you the charge status of both batteries. Tested with one almost full and one half charged, the mod correctly stopped charging the one when full, while continuing to charge the other.
Only had this since yesterday afternoon, but so far battery life seems to be really good.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
One arrived today. Out of the box, feels very sturdy with a nice finish. I've been using it in power mode, fires fast, seems accurate and offers a good hit. Downloaded the software and I'll get acquainted with that and TC mode over next few. I think this chip will be fun. Overall all first impressions are very good, particularly for the price.

Reactions: Opinionated

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
One arrived today. Out of the box, feels very sturdy with a nice finish. I've been using it in power mode, fires fast, seems accurate and offers a good hit. Downloaded the software and I'll get acquainted with that and TC mode over next few. I think this chip will be fun. Overall all first impressions are very good, particularly for the price.
Let us know what you think of tc mode. I'm thinking of getting this one just waiting on people's opinions

Reactions: happy valley

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
I’m finding the TC functionality to be a little conservative for my taste. By that I mean it’s very quick to back off when it gets close to the target temp. I find a more aggressive TC ramp up to be more to my liking as I can get with a DNA and Arctic Fox firmware. The VooPoo reminds me of the performance of the Vo-Tech Dagger in TC. Effective, but on the calm side.

On the plus side, it is smooth as silk. Not a pulse or roller coaster whatsoever in TC.

It does shine in TC with a notch coil, which can be a bear to get to vape properly in TC. At the moment I’m running a single 316 notch coil (iJoy brand) in an Augvape Merlin and it’s performing like a champ (0.16 ohms, 80w, 490F). Absolutely delightful. The conservative approach does have the advantage with coils such as this.

Overall, I’m glad I got one. I love the solid feel, am OK with the overall look, and very pleased with performance in wattage mode. I wish it used offsets rather than discrete values for the wattage curve function, but the curve setup is not too troublesome on the device. I also appreciate the quick firing (although I do dislike that when I’m playing with the menu since it will fire the atty no matter how quickly I hit the fire button 3x to open/navigate the menu).

If only the name was not VooPoo.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread