Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I just received a voopoo drag that I won in a contest,can't wait to fire her up.
    output (5).jpg

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Vancouver Canada
    I just got my drag mod and so far so good but I have a question.
    In temp mode (SS, TCR1300) my settings are 45 watts and 235C aka 450F. When I fire the mod the vape is as expected but the screen only shows temp of 160C but I can see the wattage is being throttled down to 35-40watts. Is this normal?

I'm used to using dna and joyetech (artic fox firmware) where it shows the temp of 235C

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    I just got my drag mod and so far so good but I have a question.
    In temp mode (SS, TCR1300) my settings are 45 watts and 235C aka 450F. When I fire the mod the vape is as expected but the screen only shows temp of 160C but I can see the wattage is being throttled down to 35-40watts. Is this normal?

I'm used to using DNA and Joyetech (artic fox firmware) where it shows the temp of 235C
    I had never watched my screen (on any mod really) while firing but mine seems to do something similar set to 475f generally showing temps in the mid to upper 300's during the first few seconds of the fire. It gives me a good vape though, which is all I care about. My wismec mods are the only other mods in rotation I set to 470 or 480f for some times/builds. My cartel revenant and hohm wrecker g2 I have in rotation are set at 420 and 430 respectively.

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Vancouver Canada
    I had never watched my screen (on any mod really) while firing but mine seems to do something similar set to 475f generally showing temps in the mid to upper 300's during the first few seconds of the fire. It gives me a good vape though, which is all I care about. My wismec mods are the only other mods in rotation I set to 470 or 480f for some times/builds. My cartel revenant and hohm wrecker g2 I have in rotation are set at 420 and 430 respectively.
    Yes, same experience. The vape has been very smooth in temp mode. Not choppy like some of the other mods.

I was just curious as to the screen information when it hits the set temp.

Reactions: Eskie

fordski

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Coatepec, Veracruz-Llave, Mexico
    I have a similar experience, great vape but temp takes a long time to display set temp when vaping. If I hold the fire button down without taking a puff, it does eventually get there. I think the gene chip works great but in temp control I haven't found any way to adjust the preheat. Has anyone else found a way?

I also haven't figured out the TCR settings. I found the place to change them but the scale is different (1300 default for SS) than other mods I've used...ie on a DNA mod TCR for SS316L is .00092

My uses the Newbie and quite likes it as well. One thing I found with the Newbie is there not very well protected from juice leaks as it can find it's way into the up down buttons which wreaks havoc on the mod.

• Agree
    Reactions: BlackCRX

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    I haven't found any way to adjust the preheat. Has anyone else found a way?

click the fire button 4 times, max watts is 80

I also haven't figured out the TCR settings. I found the place to change them but the scale is different (1300 default for SS) than other mods I've used...ie on a DNA mod TCR for SS316L is .00092

They just moved the decimal (I forget what it is called exactly, saw it explained here or on VU). 1300 = 130 so if you want .00092 set it to 920

fordski

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Coatepec, Veracruz-Llave, Mexico
    click the fire button 4 times, max watts is 80

They just moved the decimal (I forget what it is called exactly, saw it explained here or on VU). 1300 = 130 so if you want .00092 set it to 920

Thanks for the reply.

The minimum setting is 1000 and that's why it's not clear what scale they're using. and at 1000 the vape is anemic in SS. I've just left it at the default 1300 but was curious exactly what that meant.

• Agree
    Reactions: BlackCRX

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    Thanks for the reply.

The minimum setting is 1000 and that's why it's not clear what scale they're using. and at 1000 the vape is anemic in SS. I've just left it at the default 1300 but was curious exactly what that meant.
    ahh, i never mess with tcr in any of my mods. too much fiddling about in menus. If it doesn't vape well in tc mode with default tcr using ss 316 (based on reviews) I dont buy it. You might be able to find more on it searching google as I think someone explained in on VU (I can't link to the thread due to forum rules) but I think even djlsb vapes was confused by their tcr settings values.

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Vancouver Canada

I agree, the TCR is odd to me also. The nickel and titanium seems to be on point in terms of TCR. The SS TCR at 1300 makes me think it is tuned for SS430. Based on a review that Phil did for this mod using default stock values it was pretty damn close to exact temp, I will not be messing with this TCR.

On the other hand, I did change the manual TCR for the optional setting to 1200 and it seems to vape pretty good also.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2016
    I'm using the same tank I have on a Smok G-Priv, both have a Big Baby Beast. I use the same temp and preheat and they are both the same vaping. Smok uses .006 for TCR.
    I played with the TRC in the Smok, not a big thing, and it has a reset to default so after trying it I did a reset. The TRC is a multiplier, the resistance of the coil changes as the temp changes and this change is multiplied by the TRC to show what the heated temp is.

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Vancouver Canada
    I just read BlackCRX and I tried 450 F, my wattage dropped from 32 W to 31 w, I then tried 500 F and again the wattage dropped from 32 w to 31 w. I normally vape at 340 F, preheat of 32 w a .40 ohm coil so this is high for me.
    Guess I'd ask what the coil resistance is and how is the battery?
    I think you are confused with my post.
    My question is if it's normal for the mod to hit the set temp but now show it.
    My example earlier is that I set the temp for 235C but when fired it only shows 160C. I know the 235C has been achieved and reached because the wattage was throttle down to 32watts from the original 45watts. Also it vapes and feels like 235C.

You can prove or test this for yourself.
    You vape at 340F and 32watts. Leave the mod at 32watts but lower your temp to say 250F. Now fire the mod and watch the screen.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2016
    It has been said quite a few times Smok uses Kanthal coils which is true, with the RBA deck they include .40 ohm coils SS and I make .40 ohm coils SS.
    BlackCRX I tried what you suggested 250 F at 32 w the temp shows 200 F and wattage is 31 w when fired, I tried it again at 340 F, wattage is 32, when fired 200 F again and 31 w again. With the Smok that has a similar tank 340 F and 32 w The temp drops to about 88 F, I loose the watts that is replaced with puff time, coil resistance changes from .33 ohms to .34 ohms and current is 9.-- amps.
    Reading when being fired seem strange but this is a digital reading with a lot of things changing at the same time. The end result is we get a satisfying vape. Like magic all done with mirrors and smoke, ho ho

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread