VV Genesis Vaping experiment/tutorial video

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is the second tutorial on genesis-style atomizers (and vaping them) that I've done- Here's a link to the first, a tutorial on low-budget beginner setups and suggestions!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Today, we're going to be talking about:
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Genesis on a Provari
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Different styles of coil builds on different devices
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The variables that affect the vape experience and, when combined correctly, create your "sweet spot"
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The importance of wick size and density in relation to a coil of a certain length (and subsequently, resistance), and how to use this knowledge to your advantage, especially on a variable-voltage device.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And more!
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]twitter: @NinjaVapes
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ECF: V Ninja
[/FONT]

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
great vid Ninja, thanks for taking the time of putting this one together.

Thank you!

Hopefully this has been helpful to some people. The whole point is that no matter what device you have (within reason), there is a way to stack the deck in your favor when setting it up to give you the best chance of solid performance.

Anyone else out there have a Provari? What do all your wick and coils look like?

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
Thank you!

Hopefully this has been helpful to some people. The whole point is that no matter what device you have (within reason), there is a way to stack the deck in your favor when setting it up to give you the best chance of solid performance.

Anyone else out there have a Provari? What do all your wick and coils look like?

Right now I've got two provaris, one with a AGA-T, a little over 2mm think wick, 3.5 wraps of kanthal 32 -> 1.6 ohms vaping at 3.7 to 4 based on juice

The other I just have a Phoenix with SS mesh with 2/3 wraps, 2.8 mm thick wick (used drill bit), kanthal 32 -> 1.2/1.3 ohms

Somehow I'm liking the phoenix more and more than the genesis. give me more of a cigarette hit feeling (meaning instantaneous hit and heat). both give great flavor though

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Ninja...great video....very informative. I just wanted to share some of my recent experiments with you....it is related to your video. Recently I got GTankUS (top fed Genny) and when I started vaping it, I was awestruck how muck better it tasted than my other gennies. The Wick hole on the GTUS only accommodates a 2mm wick....so I had to do more wraps with 32 awg wire than I usually do....was this the reason it tasted so much better? Well I tried it on m DUD. Six wraps...around a 2mm wick. The taste was way better than 4 wraps around and 2.8 mm wick (I have bored out all my DUDs). Even though the ohms were the same...the taste is just better with the slimmer wicks with more wraps.

I then tried this on my cobra....slim wick again....with the Cobra's 1mm air hole the taste was off the charts good. Then I tried using 30g wire and doing 8 wraps...again the flavor became even richer. I have tried 30g wire before and have done 7 wraps around a 2.8mm wick and the coil was unresponsive but with the slim wick and 8 wraps the coil is still very responsive. I am doing all this on a Vamo so I have to do a lot of wraps to stay above the cut off. I have tried 28g wire but on 2.8mm solid wicks...I had to do 10 wraps to stay above the cutoff....the coil was very unresponsive.

Even though I am using a extremely slim wick right now...I have no wicking issues....and I don't do the genesis tilt. I make my wicks very different than before. May I suggest next time you roll a wick on your DUD, to use a pin and roll it comfortably tight...and make the wick semi solid (You will use a lot less material than you are using now). Do not oxidize it. IF you must just torch the top for 10-15 seconds. Don't do any liquid flame burns. A semi solid unoxidized flexible wick with a hole in the middle...is way better than a solid nail like wick that has been oxidized. The capillary action on my wicks may not be as good as a solid wick but there is a lot more going on than capillary action with these wicks, so the over all wicking is way better IMHO.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
That's really interesting!

In fact, I figured out a way to not use a tilt today, but with the 28 gauge, it really does work a thin wick to it's limit. However, if you're not using gravity by tilting, and you're not using capillary action exclusively, then by what means is your wick working? I'm really intrigued here.

The other thing is, I use 316 low-carbon steel mesh, so some oxidation is necessary. I personally do not prefer the taste of unoxidized mesh, and the oxidation layer is also marginally healthier to be exposed to (provided you're not oxidizing it with a "dirty" flame). However, because of the type of material I use, what I refer to as a "thick" layer of oxidation may be only about 1/2 as thick as what you would get with normal 316 mesh. You're absolutely right in not over-oxidizing, as this does impede both capillary and gravity-fed wicking.

Again, it's awesome how we all get to a similar vape while taking such infinitely different routes to get there. There is no such thing as the "perfect" setup- it's whatever works for each of us that really matters.

Let me know more about how your wicks work- I'll definitely want to experiment if there's some means of wicking that's happening here, and hasn't been accounted for in my tests!

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
I'm running an AGA-T2 on my Provari mini. Had to twist some 32g Kanthal because its the biggest I've got on hand. My coil is 1.2 ohms and I'm running 3.8v. Not sure of the wick diameter but its stock, haven't drilled the hole out. Using 400 mesh btw. I'll have 28 & 30g wire and 500 mesh soon. Also have a Stealth cap coming so ill do some side by side comparing. What mesh were you using in the video? You mentioned the wick size a lot but I didn't catch the size of the mesh if you mentioned it.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I am definitely tilting...but not "genesis tilting". I normal tilt to about 75 degrees or so....but that to me is very normal. SO there is some gravitational effect there for sure. BUt there is also a straw type effect when you vape so a little hole in the middle helps with that as well. I was talking to PetarK lately and he has started to make his wicks more solid but he firmly believes that when rolling you have to do a comfortable roll and not crush the mesh into each other. And I couldn't agree with him more. Again, I am not using 28 wire so all this might not work well with your set up. All I know it really works well with my current set up. If you try it out, let me know what you think.

I am not at all against oxidizing the top half of the mesh. I torch the top of the wick so it glows for 5 seconds.

How did you get around having to tilt with your current set up on the DUD?

Off topic: Can you recommend a good mechanical mod that won't break the bank? I want to get my feet wet with 28g vaping but I don't want to get a Hybrid device just yet. I want something light so an Aluminum mod would be ideal.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I am definitely tilting...but not "genesis tilting". I normal tilt to about 75 degrees or so....but that to me is very normal. SO there is some gravitational effect there for sure. BUt there is also a straw type effect when you vape so a little hole in the middle helps with that as well. I was talking to PetarK lately and he has started to make his wicks more solid but he firmly believes that when rolling you have to do a comfortable roll and not crush the mesh into each other. And I couldn't agree with him more. Again, I am not using 28 wire so all this might not work well with your set up. All I know it really works well with my current set up. If you try it out, let me know what you think.

I am not at all against oxidizing the top half of the mesh. I torch the top of the wick so it glows for 5 seconds.

How did you get around having to tilt with your current set up on the DUD?

Off topic: Can you recommend a good mechanical mod that won't break the bank? I want to get my feet wet with 28g vaping but I don't want to get a Hybrid device just yet. I want something light so an Aluminum mod would be ideal.

I guess I always have a slight hole through the center of my wicks, but in my case, it tends to act as the air intake into the tank-preventing the vacuum effect. Perhaps it also does help keep the mesh from becoming too tightly-packed as well, not sure though.

I took the volts down to 3.4 to vape vertical. The only thing is, like you said, we use a natural tilt normally anyway- so now it's running at 3.7 again, lol. What I refer to as a genesis tilt is not the same as what other people refer to- To me, anything past vertical is a tilt...but like I said, we all use a natural tilt anyway!

As far as aluminium mods, there are some GREAT ones at myvape.in, but they have a $60-plus shipping charge! Man, I really want to get my hands on some of those though, aluminium is an amazing material for batt tubes.

The GUS Tele V2 is also available right now, PM me and I can give you the guys FB details. The PAPS X will be out this month as well. And check out Bear Brass Mods, there might be spots open on their list.

If $125-155 is just a bit too steep, I would suggest an SB, or even a Bolt, to start with...but they just aren't the same. Of course, if you plan on going for the "in vogue" sub-1-ohm coil setups, I would go 18500 or larger as far as batts go. Best of luck!

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I'm running an AGA-T2 on my Provari mini. Had to twist some 32g Kanthal because its the biggest I've got on hand. My coil is 1.2 ohms and I'm running 3.8v. Not sure of the wick diameter but its stock, haven't drilled the hole out. Using 400 mesh btw. I'll have 28 & 30g wire and 500 mesh soon. Also have a Stealth cap coming so ill do some side by side comparing. What mesh were you using in the video? You mentioned the wick size a lot but I didn't catch the size of the mesh if you mentioned it.

I use 28 Kanthal. Twisted 32 is great, too, but it functions slightly differently from a single coil, and produces a slightly different vape.

edit: Oops, saw you wanted mesh size: I use 400# 316L SS mesh. Regular 316 is 10 times more forgiving, but 316L has its positives as well-but I don't recommend low-carbon mesh to beginners because it's hot-spot city if you aren't very experienced.

I just got some .6x.1 mm kanthal D ribbon wire in, and I'm in the process of testing. Talk about surface-area coverage, wow! Honestly, though, I'm not convinced quite yet- more testing required...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread