VV Mod w/ high ohm coil VS. Mech mod with low-sub ohm coil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok- so i use an ego style battery with a clearo tank right now. I am content with the vapor production, but i could use more. I am vaping as a sub for hookah, so i vape for pleasure- not to quit smoking, so i use 0 mg nicotene, and i dont want/like throat hit. I want the most amount of vapor possible. I dont know much about sub ohm building, but from what ive heard/seen, those builds give off the most vapor. So should i get a 3.7 volt mech mod with a .5 ish ohm coil, or a 6 volt vv/vw mod woth a 2 ish ohm coil? Which one will produce the most vapor? Thanks in advance!

Kake

Nov 27, 2013
Finland
The mech will pump out 27.5wats of power when the VV/VW will only do 18wats... So the in those spects the mech would pump out more, but i would personaly still pick the regulated device instead, so i would get constat 18wats, not 27wats on the first puff, 20wats on second, 15 on third etc etc. You can get the 27wats out of the VV device using 1.3ohm coil.

Also, the since the mech has lower voltage, the current is pretty darn high, bit over 7 amps (compared to regulated 3amps) so you have superior batterylife compared to mech. Also, the higher the voltage, there is less voltage loss and the efiency goes up.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I have used regulated / variable voltage/wattage mods with all sorts of toppers and wrapped tons of micro coils in rebuildable atomizers on those mods with resistances ranging from .8 to 3 ohms. There is simply no comparison to sub ohm builds on a mech mod for vapor production. Sub ohm is a whole different galaxy of vapor and vaping experience.

You can however get a DNA 20 regulated mod, and push your wattage up very high to produce the vapor you want. That would be safer and less work than sub ohming.

If you intend to sub ohm for the heavenly vapor, you MUST follow all the precautions and safety measures. The following cannot be ignored or sacrificed:

1) buy a quality multimeter
2) buy an ohm meter built for atomizers
3) buy a good quality mechanical mod that is sized for a 18650 battery
4) buy four (yes 4) of the following batteries:

AW IMR - 18650 1600mah 24A (15C)
or
Sony - SE US18650VTC3 1600mAh 30A (18.75C)
or
Samsung - INR18650-20R 2000mah 20A (10C)
or
MNKE - IMR18650 1500mah 20A (13.3C)

Please do not skimp and try to find the cheapest deal on your batteries. Buy the expensive ones from a reputable US dealer.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER SUB-OHM WITHOUT AN UNDERSTANDING OF OHM'S LAW and a thorough reading of the threads and how-to's here on ECF. I can't stress this enough. If you like to study and learn new things, and enjoy tinkering, sub-ohming may be for you. Think of it like getting a drivers license - you need to be sure you understand how to operate the vehicle, as well as know all the laws and potential dangers before you get behind the wheel.

You could start by reading this: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...iscussion-safety-battery-info-warnings-4.html

Wishing you happy vaping - hope it gets you away from Hookah permanently :)

Ray22

Nov 16, 2013
España
Low ohm coils on mech is definately the way to go for cloudchasers, though it's tricky, and very dangerous for starters, lots of things to learn first. Going subohm is something you have to do step by step, learning the ohms law is essential. Good batteries, good control of airflow and different kanthals, conductivity of the mod and atty... I believe if cloud chasing is the way you want to go, I'd search for good attys with big air holes, a good mech mod, and start with a kick, which will regulate it. Build some coils, test them, start somwhere around 1.4 ohm, and then go lower if you can (kick2 will support 0.5 ohm coils onwards). Then when you feel confident and have it all under control, you can do some crazy dual coil setups with .26 gauge at .3-.4 ohms, which on some atties means HUGE clouds.

Kake, no VV device can deliver 27w at the time being. A 1.3 ohm coil, with the highest amp limit I know (could be wrong though on this one) being 3.5 amps regulated (I believe it was the Semovar) would give a little less than 16 watts.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Kake, no VV device can deliver 27w at the time being. A 1.3 ohm coil, with the highest amp limit I know (could be wrong though on this one) being 3.5 amps regulated (I believe it was the Semovar) would give a little less than 16 watts.

The DNA 20 chip will output 7 amps and 20 watts. The Cyborg is one example of a pv that uses this chip.

Ray22

Nov 16, 2013
España
The DNA 20 chip will output 7 amps and 20 watts. The Cyborg is one example of a pv that uses this chip.

Didn't know DNA20s amp limit, just watt limit, still less than 27w. Actually a friend of mine uses the Cyborg, it's tied to his hand :laugh: . Also, Dani Dicodes Extreme reaches 20w too, though just ~4A.

vwls, that was a perfect summary, if I had read it before I wouldn't have said a thing. Totally agree, sub-ohm isn't something you get to do the first day with RBAs, it takes time and knowledge. And good, expensive, some times hard to get (specially here, there's not much of a sub-ohm culture) batteries.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I guess I'm the only one thinking he might try a higher vg ratio first.

I just noticed that you had asked him what he vapes... it's good advice to suggest he go with a higher percentage of VG - maybe even 100%. Probably won't get him where he wants to be, but it would be a good first move. :)

This vids for you :)

Even on a regulated mod, or hell, even on a stick battery, figuring out what VG to PG ratio will allow you to figure out where you want to be with vapor production - Sometime's even boring out the holes in your tanks base to produce more airflow will garner a bit more vapor, rather than having to buy another device. Especially if you are on a limited budget. When I first started, I was not satisfied with the vapor production on my twist and t3s clearo, so I bored the holes out on the base, and it substantially changed the airflow and pulling ability for that cheap little tank. Sometimes just going down to 1.8 or 1.5 ohm coils (if you have a kanger rebuildable or another "buy a disposable coil" tank) will create more heat, allowing more vapor production. If you are after a certain burn, look at the differences between bottom coil, bottom dual coil, and top coil, and top dual coil, with the lowest possible impedance for your current device. Milk what you can out of what you have, and if you are not satisfied, THEN look into getting another device. ^_^

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ok- so i use an ego style battery with a clearo tank right now. I am content with the vapor production, but i could use more. I am vaping as a sub for hookah, so i vape for pleasure- not to quit smoking, so i use 0 mg nicotene, and i dont want/like throat hit. I want the most amount of vapor possible. I dont know much about sub ohm building, but from what ive heard/seen, those builds give off the most vapor. So should i get a 3.7 volt mech mod with a .5 ish ohm coil, or a 6 volt vv/vw mod woth a 2 ish ohm coil? Which one will produce the most vapor? Thanks in advance!

You don't have to worry about throat hit with zero nic juice. There is none :thumb:

JayTater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
tampa fl
Run a good RDA dripper or Kayfun style tank on either mechanical or VW mod. On a mech with RDA dripper, wrap .6-.8 micro coil and cotton with a large airhole, then lung hit that sucker. On all of my mechs with dripping rda's, .5 and .6 ohm coils are netting around 30-35 watts on a fully charged battery. Even with 70/30 pg/vg ratio, the clouds are fantastic.

As for variable mods, I couldn't tell you... Many are limited to 15 watts. I don't use them, but a lot of folks swear by them for the safety aspects that they offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread