VV regulators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardolf Blaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
Burlington, KY
I'm looking into building my first mod and want it to be VV. I was wondering if anyone has used this board from madvapes: Variable Voltage Regulator Board Kit Rev 2
If so can you post a picture of it assembled.
Also would appreciate opinions of boards that might be better. I'm still learning about resistors and pots and all that, so I'm trying to keep it simple.
Thanks!

Bardolf Blaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
Burlington, KY

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
You mean the worm gear pots? Those really are way better. Trimmer pots < 1 turn get pretty jumpy once they accumulate some wear on them. The worm gear pots stay smooth a really long time.
I'll also add that with the MadVapes board only about 30% of the ~270 degree turn is actually in a vapeable range. Quite twitchy when it comes to dialing in a voltage.

crk0756

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hill Country, Texas
I built one just to have the experience... didnt order the pre made kit, ordered the board and drilled the box myself... gets warm awful fast for my taste.... ended up drilling some more cooling holes in the battery box to help with the heat... then added a homemade heat sink as well... Then again, I chain vape while at home enjoying a rum and coke while surfing the board or building a mod.... ordered one of the step down 3a adjustable chips for my next tinkering project.....

Bardolf Blaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
Burlington, KY
I'll also add that with the MadVapes board only about 30% of the ~270 degree turn is actually in a vapeable range. Quite twitchy when it comes to dialing in a voltage.

Would changing out the resistors to narrow the range from 0-7V to say 3-6V help with the touchiness of the dialing?

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I'll second the OKR. The one from madvapes is fine but not as efficient as the switching regulators(waste more energy as heat and less battery life in between charges).

The OKR isn't that much more expensive. I've built both the Evercool which uses the TI regulator and the OKR. The OKR is a easier build since it doesn't require caps and performance is basically the same.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Would changing out the resistors to narrow the range from 0-7V to say 3-6V help with the touchiness of the dialing?
Well the trimmer in this case is not determining the end points. The regulator is on the low side, probably ~1.2V not zero, and the batteries on the high side.

You'll have to look at the datasheet for the voltage formula. But from a cursory look it seems like going to a 20k trimmer/pot in series with an ~18k fixed resistor may do it. This combo will be R2 in the datasheet. Should end up with ~3.5 to 6 ish Volts (too lazy to do the exact math).

Breadboarding is the only way to find out for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread