Wal Mart Food Scale & Safety Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shangula

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
British Columbia
I'm ordering my DIY ingredients in about 10 days, and I plan on purchasing a food scale locally. From my research as long as the scale is accurate to 0.01 grams and can weigh at least 200 grams total, you're golden? Can anyone confirm? I'd prefer to just buy this locally and it will also help with Fitness Pal App.

2. My safety plan is thick rubber gloves, safety goggles or glasses, to put a bandana over my mouth, maybe a ball cap on backwards and sacrifice one of my many hoodies for mixing purposes only. Sound about right? overkill?

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I'm ordering my DIY ingredients in about 10 days, and I plan on purchasing a food scale locally. From my research as long as the scale is accurate to 0.01 grams and can weigh at least 200 grams total, you're golden? Can anyone confirm? I'd prefer to just buy this locally and it will also help with Fitness Pal App.

2. My safety plan is thick rubber gloves, safety goggles or glasses, to put a bandana over my mouth, maybe a ball cap on backwards and sacrifice one of my many hoodies for mixing purposes only. Sound about right? overkill?
    200 grams of liquid is roughly 200 mls, so that should work.

FWIW, I work with 100mg nic solution and completely bareback it.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain

Hi,
    Depending on the size of your "batches", the scale should be fine.
    As far as nicotine safety, if mixing with 100mg/ml, then perhaps you are being a bit too cautious.
    I mix in a baking pan to catch spills but even if some 100mg/ml does get on your skin, just wash it off.
    Have vaper towels near when mixing and find a work flow that prevents mistakes and ensures a consistent mix.

Have fun
    I

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    That depends. How clumsy are you? What strength nic do you use for mixing? If it's 100 mg/ml that is way overkill in my book.

I actually don't even wear gloves, because I want to know if it gets on me, so I don't get it all over everything. Nicotine doesn't get through the skin right away. Also, unless you plan to aerosol it somehow, I don't get the bandana really. Nicotine washes out of clothing so you don't really need to "sacrifice a hoodie" nor do you really need to have the hood tightly wrapped around your face.

I mean, if you plan to spill ten gallons, hit your head, fall in it perhaps your plan might buy you some time to return to consciousness and shower.

I guess the glasses make sense, although I've never splashed nicotine in my eye I suppose it could happen.

It sounds a bit to me like you would make it so you can barely move. If you are that worried, make some base slightly higher than the strength of what you want to vape, (i.e. I make 20 mg nic base because I vape at 18ish and like, I use 10% for flavoring.)

It works for me and it's a heck of a lot easier there are many experienced DIYers that do this. I did not for a while, and I have to say the discovery that nicotine base is Just Fine an Dandy is one of my absolute favorite discoveries of all time. Life is so much easier.

I think the scale would be fine, probably, nothing is 100% accurate.

Anyway, good luck.

Anna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    200g is adequate for measuring up to (roughly) 120-160mL batch sizes. This will be dependent on PG/VG ratio desired; as well as type(glass/plastic), and weight of container you will be measuring into.

Do try to find as much information on the scale as you can. Scales may claim displays of 0.01g resolution, but with further reading, one finds they only display in 0.05g increments (not uncommon for food/kitchen scales). If it is described as a gem/jewelry scale; you will more likely get true 0.01g resolution.
    (Individual drops of various DIY ingredients can range from 0.02-0.06g... depending on specific gravity, viscosity, surface tension, and dropper size, shape, and material. So, having a scale with true 0.01 incremental reading, is important.)

This does seem excessive for the majority of most healthy adults... assuming you will be mixing with ≤100mg/mL nicotine concentrates. However, there are individuals that do have greater sensitivity to nicotine and extra caution/precautions are warranted. I have read at least one first-person account, of an individual who ended up in the emergency room, after coming into contact with only 24mg/mL base.

If you have skin sensitivities, or any other health concerns, consult with your physician before you start investing in DIY materials.

Besides personal safety; remember to consider the safety of others too. Choose an area to mix that can be isolated from children and pets. Work in an area with hard surfaces, that can be easily wiped off and washed; verses soft, difficult-to-clean surfaces (carpeting, upholstered furniture, etc.). Try to choose times/locations which will allow you to mix undisturbed (phones, visitors, anything that might require you to leave your mixing area untended). And, if you do have children, pets, or others who might want to examine your nicotine-containing liquids; make sure you have a secure place to store them. (Putting your nicotine concentrate in the fridge, next to the children's fruit cups, is simply courting disaster.)

Most DIY safety is common sense:
    -- If the DIYer is clumsy, or prone to messes; working on/in a contained work area, like on a rimmed cookie/baking sheet, is a prudent choice. This also can be helpful to keep liquids off floors where infants, toddlers, and pets reside.
    -- If you find you routinely can't keep your ingredients off your hands; thin disposable gloves (like food prep/surgical gloves) may be appropriate. Avoid powdered gloves (no one wants talc in their e-liquid). And, choose gloves that permit good dexterity.
    -- Keep basic cleaning supplies, like water, paper towels, and soap, within easy reach. The easier they are to get to; the more likely one is to use them. And... use them... promptly. Not cleaning up spills, puddles, and drips, as soon as they occur, is what leads to cross contamination.
    -- Eye contact is less about splashing... and more about rubbing them with contaminated hands. Keep your hands clean. If you can't/won't do that; then, perhaps, safety glasses, or goggles, may provide an extra "reminder" to keep your hands away from your face while mixing.
    -- Bandanas, and dust masks, do nothing for protection from fumes. Again, if one is using ≤100mg/mL nic, most healthy adults are not likely to have issues. The only real protection these are likely to offer, like eye protection, is to act as a reminder to keep your hands away from your face while mixing.
    -- Splashing (for the most part), is only a real/common concern, when using a powered mixer (like a frother, or other electric stirring device). This can be minimized by a few additional precautions:
    ----- Use an adequately sized vessel, to contain spray, and overflow.
    ----- Don't turn on until mixing head is fully immersed.
    ----- Don't remove, or lift above the liquid's surface, unless the mixer is fully stopped.
    ----- Don't turn on again, once the mixing head has been removed from the mix, until it has been adequately rinsed off/washed.

I am not quite sure what a hoodie and ball cap are supposed to do for you. I suppose it could keep contaminated hands out of your hair. As for long sleeves... any long-sleeved shirt will do this equally well. But, unless the material is non-absorbent (like a painter's overalls, or a butcher's coat, or a rain slicker); it could actually extend contact time (by keeping wet/contaminated material pressed against the skin), and discourage immediate clean-up.

I will never fault a person for wanting to be safe; and I commend you for thinking ahead.:thumb: I just think you need to ask yourself, "what is (fill in the blank) doing for me/others; and what is the likelihood of it's protection?" Then, based on those answers, and your own personal level of comfort; do what you feel is responsible.
    :toast:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I mix in my kitchen for ease of use and clean up. Countertops are sturdy and not given to shaking, possibly knocking stuff over, if I bump them.

I live only with my pets who just go lay down and let me do my thing, and I seldom have unexpected company.

I wear glasses, but if I didn’t I doubt I’d bother with goggles. I wouldn’t blame you if you feel you need them though, you know yourself and whether you tend to be a splasher when you pour.

I do wear gloves because I do feel it when nic absorbs into my skin, plus I just hate having stuff on my hands. I don’t need any other special gear though, whatever I’m wearing is fine, usually a t shirt, nothing fancy.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    In all fairness I too was a bit Walter Whitey when I started out. I also wussed out with 48 mg nic.

I think it's fine to be nervous and overprepared like your first time. I'm just genuinely concerned about your actual MOBILITY with some of this stuff.

I sort of imagine this pair of goggles peeking out of like, a laced up hoodie and the next thing you know boom the bottle crashes to the ground.

Just... try it out with some water first maybe? Make sure you can manipulate your objects okay?

Anna

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Just check on the auto shutoff feature of your scale. 60 secs and above is ideal - but you can work with a shorter time if you are aware of it. The process is squirt ingredient into the bottle, hit tare, squirt in next ingredient etc - so it doesn't take very long.

Safety wise - it's completely up to you. My first few mixes with 100mg nic, I wore gloves. I was mixing via syringes and felt safer. When mixing via weight, I don't - but only because my Nic bottle has a nozzle top, and I can squeeze it into my mix. If I had to take the top off - I'd be wearing gloves.

Also, when squirting ingredients, give your scale time to keep up - and make sure you have fun mixing ;)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    LOL you sound like you're planning to cook crystal in a camper in the desert. There are no fumes and unless you spill the 100mg nic on your hand and leave it there for several minutes you'll be fine. I use no PPE whatsoever anymore.

There are fumes. I get a nic buzz if I’m at it for a longer time. If it’s just a couple bottles I don’t notice anything, and even when I make a lot, it’s not enough to make me sick. But that may not be the case for everyone. You may be less sensitive than me, OP maybe more so.

Still, a mask isn’t going to do a thing about that. Just make sure there’s plenty of air

PS - I never watched breaking bad but I think it would be fun to do a spin off of a guy making illegally flavored juice.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I put a small section of drop cloth on the kitchen counter. I use pipettes to dispense 100mg nic from a bottle and clear condiment bottles from Bath and Beyond to dispense PG and VG. I haven't worn gloves in years. It's not a bad idea, but 100mg nic on a finger isn't going to affect most people if you wash it off immediately.

Work close to a sink and turn on the oven hood if you are sensitive to nic fumes. I put my nic in the bottles I'm mixing as a first ingredient and then close up the nic. From there one it's just PG, VG, and flavor.

Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    From my research as long as the scale is accurate to 0.01 grams and can weigh at least 200 grams total, you're golden?
    Maybe not quite golden because Wal Mart sells many different "food" scales. Your accuracy and max weight is probably fine. What I would want is a scale capable of powering up in 110v and battery (standard number of batteries and size required) without the automatic shutoff in the plug in AC mode. Then I would test my scale to ensure repeatability. If the scale failed my repeatability test, I would take it back/exchange and get another. Good thinking about buying from brick and mortar.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    PS - I never watched breaking bad but I think it would be fun to do a spin off of a guy making illegally flavored juice.

Not if it's anything like Breaking Bad. You had to watch Breaking Bad with like, a bunch of tissues and like one eye closed. To say it epitomizes (in the weirdest way) the progression of drug development to total Tragic Meltdown is to undermine it.

I would say watch it but only if you have a very strong stomach and the ability to like, tolerate dismay. It's not cute, and the BEST part the TRAIN part gets completely RUINED.

That show... I've seen it 3 times it never gets old. The wire got old REALLY fast. Course, I was living in Baltimore, treating it, so it was like, "Meh my clients have had way worse stuff happen than that."

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread