Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
you can rebuild evods and protanks but they arent even in the same class as a rebuildable.

but yea it helps to know what do you want to rebuild first, the kind of money your wanting to spend etc.

I nice dripper is relaviely cheap and pretty easy for a first try with the added benefit of a good vap with rich flavor.
there is the kayfun. basically a dripper with a gravity fed tank but not too cheap.

then there is genesis style tanks. some can be tricky, a bit fussy playing with the different wicks but for me nothing matches the vapor/flavor I get from mine (JMO) , they start in the 30 ish range and go waaaaay up from there.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Id guess a dripped would be easier to start with. I dont wanna mess with mesh or anything. Just the kanthal and cotton/silica. Im just confused about the process and i dont wanna blow my face off lol

pretty easy do you have a mod that can check resistance? if not do you know how to use a multi meter? lol
you need to be able to check for shorts and find the resistance of the coil. after that wrapping a soft wick is cake.

Last edited:

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
The first thing you need is a digital multimeter (unless you have a mod with an ohm check and can detect shorts)

Start cheap. Find an inexpensive dripper like an igo-l or igo-w, maybe a phoenix bully, or octopus.

Grab some wire from eBay from the seller "Temco" (i'm not sure what batteries you're using so I'll suggest 32 or 30 gauge wire) the lower the gauge the less resistance it has.

Grab whatever wicking material you prefer, ebay should have this too. I prefer sterile cotton (its the cheapest, and can be bought locally)

Check out some YouTube vids on how to rebuild drippers, and maybe read some threads in the rebuildable atomizer section here on ECF.

If you've got questions feel free to ask, or PM if you want.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Last edited:

Arielbroner

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
California
The first thing you need is a digital multimeter (unless you have a mod with an ohm check and can detect shorts)

Start cheap. Find an inexpensive dripper like an igo-l or igo-w, maybe a phoenix bully, or octopus.

Grab some wire from eBay from the seller "Temco" (i'm not sure what batteries you're using so I'll suggest 32 or 30 gauge wire) the lower the gauge the less resistance it has.

Grab whatever wicking material you prefer, ebay should have this too. I prefer sterile cotton (its the cheapest, and can be bought locally)

Check out some YouTube vids on how to rebuild drippers, and maybe read some threads in the rebuildable atomizer section here on ECF.

If you've got questions feel free to ask, or PM if you want.
Thanks! What the wire called? Kanthal? And what battery is really good. I have a nitecore 18650 high drain 2600 mah i think

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
Thanks! What the wire called? Kanthal? And what battery is really good. I have a nitecore 18650 high drain 2600 mah i think
You should be good there. Just remember if you do wind up going with a mech, you'll want IMR batteries. I would recommend 'em anyway, but definitely a must for mechs.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
And what battery is really good. I have a nitecore 18650 high drain 2600 mah i think

You will certainly need a high quality IMR high drain battery for a RBA, they require quite a bit of amp power. Any of the below batteries are suggested. Sub-ohm builds < 0.5 ohms need a battery capable of 20 amps of continuous discharge rate; otherwise any of the batteries listed below will do.

I don't think Nitecore makes an IMR battery, they are all protected Li Ions. Below are the higher quality name brand IMR or hybrid batteries that are most often recommended for use in mods. When purchasing, be sure to pay attention to the brand name and the model numbers. You don't want to accidentally get an un-protected Li Ion battery. You want an IMR or IMR/hybrid.

AW IMR
18650 2000mah 10Amp (Continuous Discharge Rate)
18650 1600mah 24A

Panasonic ​or Orbtronic hybrid
CGR18650CH (IMR/Li Ion hybrid) 2250mAh 10A
NCR18650PD (high drain-high capacity) 2900mAh 10A

Samsung hybrid (LiNiCoMnP)
INR18650-20R 2000mah 22A

MNKE IMR
IMR18650 1500mah 20A

Sony IMR
us18650v3 IMR 2250mAh 10A

EFEST IMR
18650 2000mah 10A

AW IMR
19490 (1100mah) 8.8./16.5A ?

AW IMR
18350 ​(700mah) 6A

Efest IMR
18350 (800mah) 6A​

Advice & Tips for Vapors Looking into their First RBA

Last edited:

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I dont wanna mess with mesh or anything. Just the kanthal and cotton/silica. Im just confused about the process and i dont wanna blow my face off lol

Oh don't let the mesh put you off, it's not all that hard to do and it's even fun. It's a very satisfying thing to make your first wick and coil on your very own RBA, and get good vapes on it. You will be so proud of yourself, trust me :)

Before I got my first RBA I'd read everywhere that they are only for ADVANCED, and EXPERIENCED vapers, and the rest of us shouldn't mess with them. Same thing was out there about mechs. BAH! If you don't start somewhere you will never get there. One becomes experienced by doing it!

Do your homework and follow the rules. Use the right batteries, get the right wicking and coiling materials, and watch the YouTube instructional videos. Don't let it scare you, you are not going to blow your face off, and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to make a wick and coil that works great.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Before I got my first RBA I'd read everywhere that they are only for ADVANCED, and EXPERIENCED vapers, and the rest of us shouldn't mess with them. Same thing was out there about mechs.

Do your homework and follow the rules.

It is because too many people want to skip the homework and rules and dive right in that causes people that know, to say things like "they are only for ADVANCED, and EXPERIENCED vapers".

The fact of the matter is that you cannot just grab an rba, some wire and some wick and just throw something together that is going to work how it should. No you are probably not going to blow your face off, but mistakes CAN cause devices and/or batteries to get ruined, coils to pop, or certain wicks to catch fire. There is some basic knowledge that is required, a multi-meter and knowing how to use it, is a must. You need to know what voltage is, current is, resistance is, and power is and how they are related....aka ohms law. A lot of this a vaper will pick up naturally over time which is where the experience comes in.

Building your own coils can be fun and rewarding if done right, or frustrating and at least mildly dangerous if done wrong.

Last edited:

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
I don't know what type pv you're using. But the igo L pictured here:
2mwclz9.png
, is a nice beginner RDA. This one also comes in a smaller version, the igo S which looks exactly like this but fits on an ego size battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread