Want to buy an e-cig kit for my bfriend to help him quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrobex

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2012
Martinsburg WV
Thanks for all the suggestions Mustang. I'm so new to this that I actually have no idea what most of you're suggesting means lol. I'll research each one of them.
Let me back up here for a second, I put up 2 videos to help out new vapers. This may help you so you can see what some of these things are while I talk about it:
New Vapers Part 1 - YouTube a quick 10 min overview on what vaping is all about/how it works.

New Vapers Part 2 - YouTube part 2 if you have more questions goes a little more in depth and talks about some price points.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
From one complete newbie to another, my recommendation is to get something cheap and easy in the beginning. There is a ton of info out there and it's easy to get overwhelmed, not knowing if you are buying the right thing. He can always move up in the world of vaping once he knows he likes it. A starter kit will do just fine. I didn't start with one of these, but a friend did, and that's what got me started.

Smokeless Image | The Best Electronic Cigarette

Just pick a couple battery colors (78mm length = best bang for buck) and get the Medium 555.

I ended up piecing together a similar kit, but I somewhat knew what I wanted. I'll be moving up to the nicer stuff soon, and the nice thing is that its all pretty cheap compared to smoking. And once you actually do upgrade, you'll have backups and loaners.

Last edited:

PickyJuicer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Cheap and easy is a good way to start. I started on a V2. My husband hated it though so he stopped using it. He then tried an ego, which was more "manly" somehow. Got a thread cover and a big fat vivi nova (or his "bubbler" as he calls it). He moved up to a z-max - thats where the expenses started, lol.

Me? I use an ego for my everyday vape, but sometimes I like the feel of something light between my fingers so I got me a smoov. The automatic battery on that (no button) really gives you the simulation of a smoke stick, without the smoke of course. Sexy and long, cherry red and filled with an amazing chocolate hazlenut that reminds me of a nice liquer! I'm quite satisfied with being a non smoker!

Gentle encouragement... enticement with vaping in places he cant smoke... wonderful flavors and smells. Subtleties may eventually turn your smoker into a vaper.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Thanks Izan. He actually wants to quit. It was his idea to get the e-cigs. I'm just helping by buying it for him and doing the research on what the best brand might be. He's down to 2 cigs a day right now. Just not sure what the best one is to get for someone in his position.

If your boyfriend is only smoking two cigarettes a day a lot of what has been suggested is probably overkill and unnecessarily complicated. The new Joytech eRoll (same thing as the Ovale eMini) is easy to use, has a nice vape and is stylish enough to make a very nice gift.

There is some discussion about it in this thread, JOYETECH ERoll. Ovale ships to Canada. However, I would wait until Black Friday to purchase to see if it goes on sale.

Pinkybo

Nov 20, 2012
Canada
Thanks again everyone! A few people on this site have recommended the Canvape site to me and I checked it out. I have a question now. Canvape states that none of their juices contain nicotine. I'm wondering how important it is, since my boyfriend still smokes two cigs a day, to be getting him a juice with some nicotine in it. Can I order the Canvape kit and juice from another company? Are all the juices interchangeable with the different kits from different companies?

Thanks!

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Pinkybo. I Do believe there is a sticky at the canada section for you to request a PM list of suppliers that deal with nic liquids. Yes. Here it is. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...w-nic-supplier-list-via-pm-only-part-2-a.html

And it would make the switch easier if there was nic in the liquid even if he is having just a few cigs a day. Yes get the equipment you like and most any liquid would be capable of working in the device. It would help to ask the vendor (or here) what liquid types work well in the device you are considering. Good Luck.

Last edited:

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
The nic juice is what there is problems with in canada, I have talked to a few friends that live up there and they order juice from the states all the time, without major problems, however know it can be kept by customs. What they have told me they do is order hardware and juice at different times so they are not shipped together. That way if something is kept it is the cheaper item they lose.

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
Honestly - I suggest getting him a disposable first. It will get him to try vaping without a lot of pressure and he can see the possibilities. It will get him thinking about vaping and make him wonder how far vaping can go.

Then direct him to this site. Find a brick and mortar store to visit and let him try out what they have to offer.

You want to influence the guy to try - not beat him over the head with the idea.

Pinkybo

Nov 20, 2012
Canada
Hi everyone! I thought I'd give you all an update since it's been almost exactly one month now since he started vaping. After a lot of research and talking to different people I decided to get him the Joytech starter kit but I customized it a bit. I got him two 510 batteries, one automatic long and one manual short, so he could play with the different options and see what he liked best. I swapped out the regular atomizers and cartridges that came with the kit and got him a 5 pack of the Kanger horizontal coil cartomizers and I got him a drip tip.

It's been a month now and my boyfriend is vaping very happily. It took some getting used to for him. He said he actually found the vapour to be "harsher" than a normal cigarette at first. Also, the first day he said it made him light headed but that has since gone away. He prefers the automatic battery as he says that feels most like a normal cigarette experience. The site where I bought the kit (NicFitNation.com) included a 30 mil bottle of non-nicotine ejuice in the order and that's what he's been using so far. He does still smoke the occasional cigarette but usually no more than one a day now and sometimes even none. I'm planning to buy him some ejuice with nic so that he can hopefully reach for that when he really needs a nicotine hit and drop the cigs completely.

Overall he really likes vaping. He pulls out his e-cig all the time now to show off to his friends, or when we're just relaxing and it doesn't bother me at all. His home no longer stinks like cigarettes which is such a relief and when I come home after visiting him, I no longer smell an ashtray.

One thing I'm not sure about is the effects of nicotine vape on me if I'm sitting beside him while he's vaping. I'll have to do some research on it. Overall though, we're really happy with the product and the results.

skedji

Moved On
Dec 21, 2012
ottawa
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Moved On

Pinkybo

Nov 20, 2012
Canada
The nicotine isnt the worst part compared to cigarettes who have tar, cyanide and carbon monoxide
But nonetheless he could overdose on the vaping n get some headaches (thats it)

I was actually referring to second hand vapour. I've had no problem being next to him while he vapes because I know there's no nicotine in it. I was wondering if there's any health concerns to me sitting beside him while he vaps liquid if it has nicotine in it, like the way second hand smoke is considered harmful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread